• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jack Kirby's Son Comments On New Stan Lee Documentary
3 3

331 posts in this topic

On 6/22/2023 at 3:14 PM, grendel013 said:

Sorry Signature Series folks but Stan Lee signatures devalue the slab. IMO. :whee:

I do kinda agree with you..sold my ASM 119 stan lee sig after having it for two months 

but many others dont

Last week, an ASM 38 8.5 signed by Stan Lee auctioned for $901, while an ASM 38 (no sig) at  8.0 auctioned off for $265 ..both on comiclink, side by side. 

Edited by Ed Hanes

What a fantastic thread,,,,,,,,,,, thank you all for your comments and thoughts. I am well aware of Lee's thirst for notoriety,,, his charm and panache surely served he and Marvel well over the years,,, but I also love Kirby for his unquenchable thirst for creation and action,,,,, I wish I could have met them both and thanked them,,,,,, their books were building blocks to my personality for the rest of my life,,,yup!

"Showing a hard-core Marvel fan evidence that Stan Lee lied, cheated, and stole gets you about as far as if you were to show an Evangelical evidence that Christ ever existed. They'll either be furious with you or cheerfully ignore you, but they won't believe you."

https://www.vulture.com/2023/06/disney-s-stan-lee-documentary-perpetuates-a-myth.html

On 6/22/2023 at 6:00 PM, comicwiz said:

Thomas hitched his wagon to the Lee history of the MCU, claiming their rights and billing himself as a renowned comics historian who was there and would know better than anyone who wasn't. He continued the pro-Lee narrative with contributions for Taschen and the Folio Society. I barely saw mention of him with the archival footage when he arrived at Marvel, but didn't see the end credits mention him having any direct involvement.

How remarkably prescient Kirby's Funky Flashman was about the outcome of Lee's legacy. Funky throwing Houseroy at the attackers and jumping out the window while the home he inherited explodes is a pastiche bringing to life a documentary of an amoral, mean-spirited, phony capitalist with his toupee and fake beard walking away for another day with undeserved exclusive creator credit.

I love that Funky Flashman story.

Yeah, as soon as Roz died, Roy held Lee's hand through that infamous May 1998 "A Conversation between Stan Lee and Roy Thomas" Interview which is later published in COMIC BOOK ARTIST #2 (Summer 1998), and the FF#1 'synopsis (that isn't)' suddenly popped up. 

How no one has ever thought it suspicious that Lee hired a fanzine fanboy to be his right hand man, who then nationally published his fanboy fanzine to keep the propaganda going all these years, is beyond me. 

I guess when your hypnotized you just don't see things others do...

On 6/23/2023 at 7:03 AM, ymisbatg said:

Does this really matter though (who created what) because everyone involved was working for the parent company (Marvel) at the time?  Doesn't the company receive profits from sales, or do the writers/publisher/artists receive a commission based on sales?  

Back then the writers and artists received no royalties, strictly a flat rate. They didn't even get their artwork back. This all became a sticking point, and eventually lead to where we are now: you get your page-rate, royalties if your book hits certain sales targets, and your artwork is now returned to the artist, providing them with another source of revenue they didn't previously have. 

On 6/24/2023 at 12:04 AM, jimjum12 said:

It took a village. 

None of these guys even came close to creating MCU single handedly. Stan may have exaggerated a bit, but I'm sorry, I just don't buy the angle that he locked himself in his office and masturbated to a well worn JC Penny's catalogue all day every day. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Has that ever been an angle that people have pursued? Damn.

Anyone who says that simply hasn't put the time in and doesn't know what they're speaking of. Stan certainly had a huge voice in press release and promotion.

But don't worry about any rumors of Stan locking himself in his office all day every day... it's already been documented time and time again that Stan only went into the office three days a week, later turning into two.

So he could "get writing done" at home, you know.

So just remind those people apparently pushing that angle that any claim of Stan going to work five days a week is literally untrue. :golfclap:

On 6/24/2023 at 12:44 AM, topofthetotem said:

Best CA Hulk 

I see they didn't carry Saga of Swamp Thing in your area :baiting: GOD BLESS....

... for the record I :x both Stan and Jack .... waaah!

On 6/24/2023 at 1:28 AM, jimjum12 said:

I see they didn't carry Saga of Swamp Thing in your area :baiting: GOD BLESS....

... for the record I :x both Stan and Jack .... waaah!

Didn’t read Saga till much later in life and I loved Hulk’s Bum a Month club, good times. :cloud9:

The Marvel method, though messy, gave people like Kirby a wide enough latitude to let loose their imaginations rather then simply following the publisher’s instructions. Perhaps one of the biggest shames surrounding the credit controversy is that it obscures Lee’s very real genuine contributions as an editor. In the book Stan Lee and the Rise and Fall of the American Comic Book, Tom Spurgeon and Jordan Raphael note..............

"Lee got the best work out of artists who had been ignored by other companies. He rooted out the essence of what was appealing to the readers, distilled it and communicated it successfully to a wide variety of artists and writers. He recruited new talent according to both short term and long term needs and assigned them to roles suited to their particular skills. He also did the best writing of his career, in service of ideas from other artists and working with artists whose creativity was subsumed into Lee’s own. No pop culture phenomenon has ever offered its readers more than Stan Lee’s Marvel gave comic-book fans."