• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage make an offer program.
2 2

53 posts in this topic

I am have bought several hundred books from Heritage over the years only to have them listed offer by Owner by Heritage   . I really want to keep the books I buy and most offers are for less than the books usually sell for so declining the offer is easy and I do try to respond to each offer . Now occasionally  the price is scandalous sometimes insane and allows me to buy something else I want more. I had a Planet comics 5 my only copy Cgc fn  bought for 1700 plus off heritage I had a few offers between 2-3 thousand  the going rate if you could find one then  I was offered 8000 plus one day. I pondered this way over guide offer but ultimately decided I wouldn’t be able to find another copy so declined . Heritage allows the seller to counter if he wishes , I sent a note that I really did not want to sell but hey would sell it for   Twice his offer or around 16000. I never thought the buyer would agree  was 5-6 x guide but The buyer didn’t blink an eye accepted the counter offer and I had to send the book to Heritage . I still dreaded sending the book but then lo and behold some months later Heritage offered a 9.2 blue Cgc Planet 5 that I bought with the money I received from selling the Cgc 6.0 .  I do try and respond to every offer but I am sure I miss some and if I don’t respond to several offers  then Heritage removes the book from their  system . If you don’t respond to any offer ever Heritage states it will remove all your books from being listed . I have also tried to offer on several rare books and have yet to be successful , I always try to offer a lot more than what the last one sold for.  I can only guess , my offers are not to the point  of insanity but so far most offers have been responded too . 

I have de-listed all of my books the moment I could.  I even reapplied the de-listing when they occasionally override what I've done.  Even so, I still  receive an occasional email from Heritage with an offer.

Edited by adamstrange

On 6/22/2023 at 2:21 AM, action1kid said:
On 6/22/2023 at 2:12 AM, Professor K said:

That's it. I think most of the time the current owner doesn't even know there have been offers/bids. And many of the ones that do just ignore it. 

Also, it can be used by the owner as a way to see how much people are willing to offer for their book.

Yep!

So bottom line is don't get worked up if you get no response to your offers. 

It's not like eBay where the consignor is the one who put their book up with a BIN price.

Through the years I have purchase several comics via the MOTO method. However, a majority of the time, my offers are declined

If you make decent offers on a book and they are being rejected, it might be easier to e-mail Heritage and ask if the book is indeed available, and if so, what will the owner sell it for. Heritage will reach out to the owner and let you know.

On 6/21/2023 at 12:47 PM, action1kid said:
On 6/21/2023 at 11:55 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

(To be honest, I'm struggling to understand WHY you would offer $7K for that book, let alone $17K . . . is it just because it's the Allentown copy?)

Yes. Because it the Allentown copy. Very tuff to get with only 135 copies in the entire collection. Anyway it was rejected

Sadly, I totally get this now which is something I did not back in 2000 when I let 3 of them go when I consign about a dozen books to the big Greg Manning Auction back then as a test of the new CGC grading system.  doh!

If I remember correctly, all three of them graded out between CGC 9.2 through to CGC 9.6.  (thumbsu  :luhv:

On 6/23/2023 at 2:59 PM, lou_fine said:

Sadly, I totally get this now which is something I did not back in 2000 when I let 3 of them go when I consign about a dozen books to the big Greg Manning Auction back then as a test of the new CGC grading system.  doh!

If I remember correctly, all three of them graded out between CGC 9.2 through to CGC 9.6.  (thumbsu  :luhv:

So only about 20 ATs left in your collection? 

On 6/23/2023 at 2:59 AM, lou_fine said:

I like certain pedigrees because of the freshness and page quality, but I've never targeted a book just because it was a pedigree. Offer me a ped and a non-ped in the same grade, and I'll take the book with nicer pages every time unless there's something glaring that has a negative impact on the eye appeal.

On 6/22/2023 at 1:29 PM, adamstrange said:

When you have the awesome winners I do, you struggle with the deluge of offers.

Wotalife3sm.jpg

Vancouver is one of my favorite pedigrees in term of the fresh appearance of the books, but most of the books I've seen offered for sale would be a poor fit my collection. The original buyer had tastes that differed from mine quite a bit, apparently.

On 6/23/2023 at 10:54 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Vancouver is one of my favorite pedigrees in term of the fresh appearance of the books, but most of the books I've seen offered for sale would be a poor fit my collection. The original buyer had tastes that differed from mine quite a bit, apparently.

I think many of the people interested in selling with this program are looking for the greater fool- not just a great price.

On 6/22/2023 at 12:29 PM, adamstrange said:

When you have the awesome winners I do, you struggle with the deluge of offers.

Wotalife3sm.jpg

What a great book!!  I don't have a Vancouver yet.

PDG

On 6/22/2023 at 12:05 AM, Drgoldage said:

I am have bought several hundred books from Heritage over the years only to have them listed offer by Owner by Heritage   . I really want to keep the books I buy and most offers are for less than the books usually sell for so declining the offer is easy and I do try to respond to each offer . Now occasionally  the price is scandalous sometimes insane and allows me to buy something else I want more. I had a Planet comics 5 my only copy Cgc fn  bought for 1700 plus off heritage I had a few offers between 2-3 thousand  the going rate if you could find one then  I was offered 8000 plus one day. I pondered this way over guide offer but ultimately decided I wouldn’t be able to find another copy so declined . Heritage allows the seller to counter if he wishes , I sent a note that I really did not want to sell but hey would sell it for   Twice his offer or around 16000. I never thought the buyer would agree  was 5-6 x guide but The buyer didn’t blink an eye accepted the counter offer and I had to send the book to Heritage . I still dreaded sending the book but then lo and behold some months later Heritage offered a 9.2 blue Cgc Planet 5 that I bought with the money I received from selling the Cgc 6.0 .  I do try and respond to every offer but I am sure I miss some and if I don’t respond to several offers  then Heritage removes the book from their  system . If you don’t respond to any offer ever Heritage states it will remove all your books from being listed . I have also tried to offer on several rare books and have yet to be successful , I always try to offer a lot more than what the last one sold for.  I can only guess , my offers are not to the point  of insanity but so far most offers have been responded too . 

I'm stunned that someone accepted your counter! I don't understand the thinking of someone who would pay that kind of premium for a mid-grade, non-key book. "I want it NOW and money is no object" must be the mentality—not very intelligent, but there are plenty of people with more money than brains.

Edited by jimbo_7071

You put it much more succinctly than I did but agree suspect that the Planet comics 5 was the last book he/she needed to complete an early run and price was no object . Later when I saw the nicer Planet 5 come up for auction I thought for sure the same individual would outbid me but that didn’t happen . He or she had their Planet 5 and that’s all that matters didn’t need an upgrade . In any case don’t mind the Heritage system gives me the chance to buy a book I missed and occasionally provides me with an unexpected windfall .

I "activated" a few of my HA purchased items for the "make an offer/buy it now" function.  There was immediate interest and decent offers.  I made counters on some initial offers, but either I or the other party declined and cancelled the negotiation.

Here's the problem: I can't tell if there is more than one person making offers for the items.  If I'm dealing with one person, then I know where we stand on the countering offers position and I would realize there is limited interest in the item and make the sale.  If I'm dealing with multiple parties, I'm certainly going to hold out for a better offer and possibly work the potential buyers against the other.  Wouldn't it be in HA's interest to label the potential buyer someway so that sellers can make a better decision to sell?  "Buyer A" "Buyer B" etc....