• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage make an offer program.
2 2

53 posts in this topic

On 6/23/2023 at 12:09 PM, action1kid said:

I think many of the people interested in selling with this program are looking for the greater fool- not just a great price.

Agreed!

:frown:

On 6/28/2023 at 10:00 AM, Drgoldage said:

You put it much more succinctly than I did but agree suspect that the Planet comics 5 was the last book he/she needed to complete an early run and price was no object . Later when I saw the nicer Planet 5 come up for auction I thought for sure the same individual would outbid me but that didn’t happen . He or she had their Planet 5 and that’s all that matters didn’t need an upgrade . In any case don’t mind the Heritage system gives me the chance to buy a book I missed and occasionally provides me with an unexpected windfall .

I don't know where the "upgrade" mentality comes from. I have been collecting for 40 years and have never upgraded a book. I generally don't buy a copy unless I'm happy with it, so why would I upgrade?

I do have a few books that turned out to be a little rougher in hand than what I was hoping for or that have particular defects that bug me, so I have a few books that I would upgrade were the right copy to come along at the right price, but even with those books, upgrading is a very low priority.

I guess I don't think like the number-in-the-corner chasers.

Posted (edited)
On 5/28/2024 at 7:25 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

I don't know where the "upgrade" mentality comes from. I have been collecting for 40 years and have never upgraded a book. I generally don't buy a copy unless I'm happy with it, so why would I upgrade?

I do have a few books that turned out to be a little rougher in hand than what I was hoping for or that have particular defects that bug me, so I have a few books that I would upgrade were the right copy to come along at the right price, but even with those books, upgrading is a very low priority.

I guess I don't think like the number-in-the-corner chasers.

Some of us can't afford our favourite rare books unless we buy them in tattered, falling apart, incomplete conditions (and for many GA books you can't just wait for the next one as it might be years or even a decade until one comes up for sale - and then you might be even MORE priced out of ever owning a copy). But you know this, since you also say you WOULD upgrade books (priority is subjective in this case)

My favourite Marvel character is Iron Man and so I jumped at buying the most affordable copy I could when I was growing up which was falling apart and needed to be slabbed just to keep it from disintegrating (so I couldn't even read it anyways), that has since been upgraded in my adult years and is a much better display piece (which is a big factor for most of us when it comes to our favourite books). 

As for the number-in-corner chasers, who want to upgrade a 9.6 to 9.8 for example, I can think of one good reason: Winning a competitive registry set. That upgrade could mean thousands of points and determine if you take the top spot, and if you don't make it a priority you are now waiting an entire year again just for your chance to compete for a prize. 

Edited by Sauce Dog

I have always been of the school of thought when collecting GA that most any copy is better than NO copy.

There are only a few exceptions to the rule. I won’t buy books that are brittle, have mold or excessive tape. Most anything else is fair game for the right price. There are books that are just “run books” that I can often live with defects. There are other books I really love that I upgrade when I can.

I, like any collector, love high grade books. But many of the obscure stuff I like rarely turns up in any shape. And, with the way prices have gone, I have learned to lower my standards some times.

I have the full gamut in my collection. From coverless/incomplete to super high grade Mile High books. I love them all or I won’t buy them. 

On 5/29/2024 at 6:01 AM, batman_fan said:

I constantly upgrade books in my collection when possible.  In general, I would rather have a copy and look for a nicer copy than not have a copy at all.

That's crazy!  Don't you know there's only one acceptable way to collect?!  :preach:

On 5/28/2024 at 5:01 PM, batman_fan said:

I constantly upgrade books in my collection when possible.  In general, I would rather have a copy and look for a nicer copy than not have a copy at all.  Several books I purchased this way I will never be able to upgrade so happy with the book I did acquire.  Example include Green Giant #1, Batman 1, Adventure 79, Human Torch 1, Looney Tunes 1, etc.  Prices have gone up on these books to a place where I can’t justify spending what it would cost me to upgrade so I am super happy to have my lower grade copy.  For my Batman run, I upgrade 1 to 4 books per year.  In general, it has to be at least two steps above what I have and have significantly better eye appeal.

That's just like me, except, compared to some of you folks, I'm swimming in the sewer looking for my copies.  But I'm getting better...  lol

On 5/28/2024 at 6:32 PM, Telegan said:

That's just like me, except, compared to some of you folks, I'm swimming in the sewer looking for my copies.  But I'm getting better...  lol

I haven’t quite hit the sewer yet but definitely the shallow end of the pool. Problem is the higher prices go, the more crowded the shallow end gets. Anybody that says lower grade books are worthless are either clueless or living in a different reality. 

On 5/29/2024 at 11:05 AM, batman_fan said:

One thing I should mention is when you take my upgrade approach to your collection but fail to sell off your under copy you end up with pictures like this.

IMG_0029.jpeg

IMG_3982.jpeg

That is awesome and kinda disturbing. My grandfather obviously never met you when he told me “you can’t make up for a loss with volume”.