• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Deaths" should stop being considered a key issue...
3 3

56 posts in this topic

It annoys me terribly that, in the modern era, every other comic book carries the loud title of "KEY ISSUE. The reason for this is the simple death of some character.

I'm well aware that the definition of a key issue was invented in the last century. And back then "key death" made sense. I think you know why. But now, with characters dying and being reborn on a regular basis, all these key deaths look very ludicrous. 

Yes, when a character died in the Silver and Bronze Ages, it really meant his death and it had to be immortalized as a "key issue" since the character never came back (yes, I'm sure there are many exceptions for the Silver Age as well, but let's pretend my argument works). But now...now it all looks like the most standard part of the -script, not some story that needs to be immortalized on a label and written everywhere that it's a key issue.

As cool as ASM #121 was, I can't even see it as a full key issue. semi-key issue at most. And I don't take other of the "key" deaths for anything important at all.

Is there any alternative viewpoint regarding key deaths? I'd be very happy to hear from you.

On 6/24/2023 at 12:33 PM, rfhbv100 said:

Sounds like the most mocking but fair joke on the comic book industry

ya :roflmao: one of those "I get it, but I'm dead serious" lol 

I get your point though haha, I never thought of them as "key" too much myself, but I own a couple; however, would struggle to "defend" them.

I like the death of sabretooth as it is a homage cover with the variant, of a pretty classic cover. I'm not sure what else death I have, I have the ASM you mention, but only in midgrade to "own" copies.

I don't really collect any "lady death" for the same reason lol 

When Gwen died I thought that was huge. Then they messed up everything about her to the point I had to pretend those later issues never happened. Then they messed it up more with multi-verses. 

Even when Kraven died, I thought that was big as a kid. Of course they couldn’t leave it alone.

Actual death that nobody cares about vs a death that actually happened and snowballed out of control with ghosts and possessions and other stuff I can't explain 

20230530_182738.jpg

20230531_105056.jpg

I know what you are saying, but you’re also letting new events effect the old, and I don’t know if I agree with that. 

As an example, I was a huge fan of Batman ‘89, as I’m sure a lot of people were of my generation. When Batman Returns came out, it wasn’t nearly as impactful, and Batman Forever changed the direction and Batman And Robin tried to bury the franchise. 

My point is, I used to allow the sequels to taint and stain my feelings for the original. I felt like what I had, was ruined. 

Now, I am just thankful for what I got, because I can see how rare a good thing is. 

IMG_9897.jpeg

A death notation in comics should be more accurately described as ‘temporary hiatus’ or ‘rest period’.

Because that’s all it is.

Oblivion has been shrugged off as a minor, transient inconvenience in the medium far too often to associate and to feel any degrees of tension and sorrowful gravity with it.

Cry Wolf, too many times for believability.

Edited by Ken Aldred