• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please share your "First Signed Copy Ever" as recognized by CGC.
1 1

26 posts in this topic

This was my first "1st Signed Copy Ever" ever. This issue was signed by cover artist Brian Stelfreeze back in '15 before the new cases. Does anyone else have a "1st Signed Copy Ever?" as notated below on the yellow CGC SS label?

If so please share!

Detective Comics #40 Matrix Movie Poster variant.

I recall some Stan Lee Spiderman #700's might have also had this wording.

tec a.jpg

tec b.jpg

tec c.jpg

Edited by MultiSig Mike

Lol good topic @MultiSig Mike

Now for my feeble attempt.

I have never watched a creator artist sign and then witness for my own cgc collection, in person.

These 2 listed are the first 2 book that 1st day of my 1st major comic con. I submitted and dropped off with a facilitator for the creator of Hulk. Dropped off when I saw the line for in person. 1st major comic con, I had barely heard of cgc, and I didn't want to mess up somehow the witness program. It was too important to me.

I'm not just trying to be pedantic, because I've also used in trade the first signature series that I ever bought delivered to my home, in trade partly for an Avengers issue.

There are so many 1sts to consider, and I'd agree not to limit it if within scope!

Spoiler

3204657_Full_Obv.jpg

3237953_Full_Obv.jpg

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Sold them a long time ago, but this was when Jim Lee sigs were still free (Wondercon 2009 San Francisco - Moscone Center).

Stopped by the CGC booth to literally ask how this SS thing works, then bought 2 books off a table and had a facilitator follow me (found out later he was one of the leaders/pioneers at CGC).

IMG_4850.thumb.JPG.20a71995084ece2c739f630220bc7fc9.JPGIMG_4851.thumb.JPG.84b8e11e9da1f8eef9cdd68d67d2b4bb.JPG

No photo description available.

Edited by bobotski

On 6/27/2023 at 12:01 AM, smarkjobber said:

Wait, is this topic "Post 1st Time Artist Ever Signed a Particular Book (and notated it)"?

Is that a thing that a lot of artists normally do?

I think that is the basis of this thread, but I can't positively tell, and if so, it quickly moved on

On 6/26/2023 at 10:27 PM, bobotski said:

Sold them a long time ago, but this was when Jim Lee sigs were still free (Wondercon 2009 San Francisco - Moscone Center).

Stopped by the CGC booth to literally ask how this SS thing works, then bought 2 books off a table and had a facilitator follow me (found out later he was one of the leaders/pioneers at CGC).

IMG_4850.thumb.JPG.20a71995084ece2c739f630220bc7fc9.JPGIMG_4851.thumb.JPG.84b8e11e9da1f8eef9cdd68d67d2b4bb.JPG

Nice books, but not a qualifier for this thread.

On 6/27/2023 at 10:20 AM, MultiSig Mike said:

Yes, it has to be notated on the yellow label. Apologies if that wasn't clear originally.

Oh my bad, I thought it was first ever from personal collection. That's the way I read the title 😂

Screenshot_20230627-102356.png

On 6/27/2023 at 11:24 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Oh my bad, I thought it was first ever from personal collection. That's the way I read the title 😂

Screenshot_20230627-102356.png

Not a bad idea for those who are wanting to acquire their 1st sig series slab (and if they can remember to request that notation while in elation of meeting the signor, of course)... I must admit, I had to do a bit of research in my PC trying to find the 1st book I ever had signed & slabbed. hm

Oh well... almost 12 years too late...lol 

On 6/27/2023 at 8:45 PM, Sandflea said:

Not a bad idea for those who are wanting to acquire their 1st sig series slab (and if they can remember to request that notation while in elation of meeting the signor, of course)... I must admit, I had to do a bit of research in my PC trying to find the 1st book I ever had signed & slabbed. hm

Oh well... almost 12 years too late...lol 

It would be one thing if it was 1st sig at a comic con? But first signature series ever? I wouldn't ever think to ask, and would doubt myself at that.

I have slabs where it is on the label the convention it was "signed at" but then and then only if cgc still did that, then I'd ask for the artist to make the notation.

What I feel is that an artist got swept up to have finally "made it" then they had the thought to do it on their own, which would be a fun surprise! ^^

On 6/27/2023 at 9:50 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

What I feel is that an artist got swept up to have finally "made it" then they had the thought to do it on their own, which would be a fun surprise! ^^

+1!  I never requested the "Best Wishes" part of the sig, but Mr. Frenz added it; to me, it was definitely special. :whee:

Now I'm wondering what he would've written if he was informed it would be my 1st sig...:whatthe:

The closest thing I have to this is "1st day of issue release".  Never seen one that said first signed ever.

6778814.jpg

On 6/27/2023 at 12:01 AM, smarkjobber said:

Wait, is this topic "Post 1st Time Artist Ever Signed a Particular Book (and notated it)"?

Is that a thing that a lot of artists normally do?

It's something I've seen a few voice actors do for sure, and the only comic creator I've seen do this is Eric Basaldua.

Can't say that I have any personally, but I am interested to see what's out there and who makes this a common practice.

In trading cards I’ve seen guys sign “Last card!” or something on the last chase autograph card they signed for a particular set. Didn’t Todd do that for his recent CGC signing, too? 

Anyway interesting thread idea but I have no idea how this could be verified beyond the creator writing “first signed copy!” on the book. I hope whoever gets Ramos to sign the first Spidey 7 has him write “first signed copy”