• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about registration and grading disparity
3 3

27 posts in this topic

I sent in a Daredevil #1 (2014) Alex Ross Sketch cover for the AR signing.  Book has finally shipped and was looking at the CGC registry notes.  Seems to be a disparity between what was graded and the grade on the slab label... :butbutbutemoji:

Sending in an email to the submissions@ address, but has any one else run into this?  (This is the first batch of books I've sent in to CGC, so I'm a little confused... lol)

image.thumb.png.a3bccaf7f939788a58af4b8963707b17.pngimage.png.f02cbed8dd7e74b60fb9d7b4c29e09ea.png

Edited by Jesse Larson

On 7/6/2023 at 3:44 PM, Lightning55 said:

Definitely something screwed up, since the grades don't match and registry says Qualified. 

OMG, I just noticed that, along with the fact that the slab label doesn't mention the Stan Lee signature.  I bought the Stan Lee SS 9.6 slab years ago, and sent it in to add the Ross sig.  It doesn't note the Lee sig at all.  WTF?  https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/4219184001/

image.png.dd69df613bc4ca17ea5124fae33b63ad.png

Edited by Jesse Larson

On 7/6/2023 at 4:07 PM, StillOnly25Cents said:

what was the grade on the book when you sent it in?

also assume it was already in a yellow SS slab with the Lee sig

Yep, it was a 9.6 graded book in the standard yellow SS slab.

On 7/6/2023 at 5:07 PM, Jesse Larson said:

Yep, it was a 9.6 graded book in the standard yellow SS slab.

yeah, that's messed up then .... hey at least you kept the same grade, small victories with CGC :grin:

do you have the original cert # for reference if needed 

Edited by StillOnly25Cents

On 7/6/2023 at 4:11 PM, StillOnly25Cents said:

yeah, that's messed up then .... hey at least you kept the same grade, small victories with CGC :grin:

do you have the original cert # for reference if needed 

No, I didn't even think to record that, since I was just sending it into CGC.  I bought it at the Stan Lee Store onsite at the first Atlantic City Boardwalk Con in 2015, so it wasn't originally registered to me or anything.  (I didn't even have a CGC account at the time.)

On 7/6/2023 at 4:17 PM, StillOnly25Cents said:

you should likely be fine, but word to the wise  ...... always take pictures of what you are sending in

Yeah, I should of thought of that, but I'd never done a mail-in submission before... I figured sending it directly in with the forms and all was pretty safe.  A bit naive, I guess.

On 7/6/2023 at 4:54 PM, Jesse Larson said:

OMG, I just noticed that, along with the fact that the slab label doesn't mention the Stan Lee signature.  I bought the Stan Lee SS 9.6 slab years ago, and sent it in to add the Ross sig.  It doesn't note the Lee sig at all.  WTF?  https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/4219184001/

image.png.dd69df613bc4ca17ea5124fae33b63ad.png

@CGC Mike didn't know if you had been tagged orr if it was needed.

On 7/6/2023 at 5:20 PM, Jesse Larson said:

Yeah, I should of thought of that, but I'd never done a mail-in submission before... I figured sending it directly in with the forms and all was pretty safe.  A bit naive, I guess.

Is cgc already aware?

On 7/6/2023 at 4:21 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

@CGC Mike didn't know if you had been tagged orr if it was needed.

Is cgc already aware?

I just sent in an email to the submissions@ address a little bit ago (noted at the bottom of the registry lookup page).  Hopefully, they can rectify that.  I would hate to lose the Lee sig in the registry... :facepalm:

On 7/6/2023 at 5:23 PM, Jesse Larson said:

I just sent in an email to the submissions@ address a little bit ago (noted at the bottom of the registry lookup page).  Hopefully, they can rectify that.  I would hate to lose the Lee sig in the registry... :facepalm:

Amen I can imagine it's stressful, as that isn't an easy thing, but look for you're receipt via email for the purchase? Emails are searchable, and even though it's probably way in the past, I can't imagine having purchased a lot or getting a lot of emails in a search bar. Idk I'm scratching my head, as it is usually caught straight away, and it all gets reconciled in minds quickly.

Anyway Prayers. I know they're closed for the day, so maybe cgc mike can alleviate or explain the process. Something to smooth over the stress. Breathe in breathe out. : 💪 :cheers:

Come to think of it.

If you sent it in slabbed, they should have recorded having removed the old cgc cert from the book, so as long as the usual procedure concerning SS happened?

I'm more confident it's not all a :(

On 7/6/2023 at 4:32 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Amen I can imagine it's stressful, as that isn't an easy thing, but look for you're receipt via email for the purchase? Emails are searchable, and even though it's probably way in the past, I can't imagine having purchased a lot or getting a lot of emails in a search bar. Idk I'm scratching my head, as it is usually caught straight away, and it all gets reconciled in minds quickly.

Anyway Prayers. I know they're closed for the day, so maybe cgc mike can alleviate or explain the process. Something to smooth over the stress. Breathe in breathe out. : 💪 :cheers:

The purchase was actually at the onsite Stan Lee Store at the first ACBC in 2015 (I don't think they're doing it anymore?) and the twist is this :

I had purchased the M&G signing with Stan and brought a few books to sign.  He had to cancel due to his health, so they offered credit at the SL store on site, instead of waiting for a refund.  I got a Spider-man #1 (2014) 9.8 SS slab with Stan's and Alex Ross' sig and the DD #1 9.6 SS signed only by Lee.  I only received a simple handwritten receipt that I proceeded to discard.  :(

Trying to stay calm about it... I still have the book and the wonderful sigs.  Just really hate to lose that CGC status on it... especially since I don't think I didn't anything wrong when submitting?  It being the first time I was mailing something in, I was really anal-retentive about going down their checklist.

sm1.jpg

Edited by Jesse Larson

On 7/6/2023 at 4:52 PM, Still Only 20¢ said:

@Jesse Larson, CGC Mike may chime in, but it will likely be 2-3 business days before you receive a reply from submissions@cgccomics.com. Just FYI.  Good luck!

Yeah, fingers crossed... I saw the news about Mike's mom, so he certainly doesn't need to worry about this.  Family stuff is more important.

• Administrator
On 7/6/2023 at 6:53 PM, Jesse Larson said:
On 7/6/2023 at 6:52 PM, Still Only 20¢ said:

@Jesse Larson, CGC Mike may chime in, but it will likely be 2-3 business days before you receive a reply from submissions@cgccomics.com. Just FYI.  Good luck!

Yeah, fingers crossed... I saw the news about Mike's mom, so he certainly doesn't need to worry about this.  Family stuff is more important.

Thanks.  I sent a message to a member of the team.  I will see if I can find out what happened.

• Administrator

Hi @Jesse Larson Please send this back to us.  You should be able to use the mechanical error option (wrong label information) and receive a prepaid shipping label through our website.  (not by e-mail)  If you have any problems getting one, let me know and I will get one for you.  Write ATTN:  Matt Nelson on the box, and on the packing slip.  Also, write ME on the box.  When you ship it, please PM me the tracking number.  

Thanks,

Mike

On 7/7/2023 at 10:10 AM, CGC Mike said:

Hi @Jesse Larson Please send this back to us.  You should be able to use the mechanical error option (wrong label information) and receive a prepaid shipping label through our website.  (not by e-mail)  If you have any problems getting one, let me know and I will get one for you.  Write ATTN:  Matt Nelson on the box, and on the packing slip.  Also, write ME on the box.  When you ship it, please PM me the tracking number.  

Thanks,

Mike

Awesome, @CGC Mike !!!  That was fast.... thank you so much. It's tracked to be delivered to me on Monday, and I will get that turned around and sent back in.

Did they find out where the mix-up occurred?