• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bobby Blue GA, PCH, Timely's, Westerns $1 Million collection to auction
4 4

111 posts in this topic

On 7/15/2023 at 5:05 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

But this is the point where some comics become a veritable albatross around the neck of a prospective dealer. Hoarder/collector/speculator

As I have found the limiting factor is time.  

Generally I agree with everything you wrote but I don’t believe you’re considering the relative rarity of CGC graded copies. I know there are thousands of copies of 9.8 modern keys hiding out in storage lockers and warehouses all over this country but if, for example, those Batman Adventures 12 all come back 9.0 or better the return will be staggering.  

After watching the video my guess is all those moderns weren’t even factored in the seller’s valuation. Seller certainly didn’t do their due diligence imho.  Their first call should have been to Rick. 

Edited by ThothAmon

On 7/27/2023 at 7:21 PM, comicjack said:

One can only guess what that my go for one of Cole's best covers :ohnoez:

adamstrange coined the terms Tomato Red and Rose Coral for this cover. I believe this 6.5 is surely a Tomato Red. Another Tomato Red 6.5 sold a few days before last Halloween on Heritage for 15,600, and it wasn't nearly as Tomato Red as this Bobby Blue Tomato Red copy. Recently someone was so desperate to own one they paid quite a lot for an A-1 6.0 Rose Coral copy. 

Opera Snapshot_2023-07-27_201601_www.mycomicshop.comddd.png

Edited by Professor K
Now in Technicolor!

In my scrutiny of this new collection, I started looking up grader notes and it appears unbeknownst to me that CGC is now posting the book image along with the grader notes. I admit I’ve not paid attention lately, so I’m probably the only one who didn’t know

oh, and btw, Bobby had a Mask 1. You know he had a good mom. She had to have seen the cover when she wrote his name on it. But instead of throwing it in the trash, she actually gave it to him

IMG_6722.png

IMG_6724.png

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 7/28/2023 at 3:09 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

In my scrutiny of this new collection, I started looking up grader notes and it appears unbeknownst to me that CGC is now posting the book image along with the grader notes. I admit I’ve not paid attention lately, so I’m probably the only one who didn’t know

oh, and btw, Bobby had a Mask 1. You know he had a good mom. She had to have seen the cover when she wrote his name on it. But instead of throwing it in the trash, she actually gave it to him

OT:  That's cool, haven't submitted for awhile, but if they provide image along with slabbing that is a win imo.

On 7/28/2023 at 3:09 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

IMG_6722.png

IMG_6724.png

On 7/30/2023 at 3:18 PM, path4play said:

OT:  That's cool, haven't submitted for awhile, but if they provide image along with slabbing that is a win imo.

I think you have to pay 5.00 for the pics when you submit unless they just do it for all books now. Seems like a lot of extra work for them to just do it for free, but maybe now they do . There is a pretty nice 6.0 on comiclink ending shortly after this 7.5 on CC. 

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dmask%2Bcomics%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1709087&id=1709087&itemType=0

On 7/31/2023 at 1:28 PM, Professor K said:

I think you have to pay 5.00 for the pics when you submit unless they just do it for all books now. Seems like a lot of extra work for them to just do it for free, but maybe now they do . There is a pretty nice 6.0 on comiclink ending shortly after this 7.5 on CC. 

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dmask%2Bcomics%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1709087&id=1709087&itemType=0

Is that a Satan cover?

image.png.dfbced5170a07ae72b5a08947b367faf.png

Anyone like to guess what the Dynamic comic 8 might get one this nice hasn't been in sometime.I would love to see what the real value is on this book at 13.5 k on the first few hours :smile: 

Edited by comicjack

On 7/31/2023 at 4:17 PM, manetteska said:

Is that a Satan cover?

image.png.dfbced5170a07ae72b5a08947b367faf.png

Comiclink calls Mask 1 a Satan cover and Mask 2 a devil cover. This I just learnt.

On 7/31/2023 at 4:29 PM, comicjack said:

Anyone like to guess what the Dynamic comic 8 might get one this nice hasn't been in sometime.I would love to see what the real value is on this book at 13.5 k on the first few hours :smile: 

On ComicConnect? They have the 7.5 Mask 1 this month. Comiclink has a 6.0 Mask 1 and a 5.5 Mask 2 starting August 18th. And Heritage has a 2.0 Mask 1 that they pulled from last weeks auction returning on August 25th. All of a sudden it's raining Masks. 

The 4.5 Blue Bobby Blue Dynamic Comics 8 on ComicConnect is out of the gate at 16,500 without the 15% bp, so like 20k in just a few hours.  2 years ago a Blue 1.5 sold for 4,300 and 2 weeks ago a 1.5 C-1 with a trimmed edge sold for 4,800. How much will the 4.5 get? I have no eye deer. At least 40,00 I would guess. How many ya got Jack?

On 7/31/2023 at 6:23 PM, Professor K said:

Comiclink calls Mask 1 a Satan cover and Mask 2 a devil cover. This I just learnt.

On ComicConnect? They have the 7.5 Mask 1 this month. Comiclink has a 6.0 Mask 1 and a 5.5 Mask 2 starting August 18th. And Heritage has a 2.0 Mask 1 that they pulled from last weeks auction returning on August 25th. All of a sudden it's raining Masks. 

The 4.5 Blue Bobby Blue Dynamic Comics 8 on ComicConnect is out of the gate at 16,500 without the 15% bp, so like 20k in just a few hours.  2 years ago a Blue 1.5 sold for 4,300 and 2 weeks ago a 1.5 C-1 with a trimmed edge sold for 4,800. How much will the 4.5 get? I have no eye deer. At least 40,00 I would guess. How many ya got Jack?

Hard to tell from the lack of sales but it does show nice with off white paper which makes it special.I have seen more Suspense's 3 than this book which makes me think it will be a big surprise at the auction's end :bigsmile:

On 8/1/2023 at 6:29 AM, comicjack said:

I think this book has been undervalued for a while. It tougher than Punch 12 and, imo, a better cover image. But it trades publicly so infrequently. I'm going to guess 30-40k

On 8/1/2023 at 11:39 AM, The-Collector said:

I think this book has been undervalued for a while. It tougher than Punch 12 and, imo, a better cover image. But it trades publicly so infrequently. I'm going to guess 30-40k

Thanks for your wisdom (thumbsu

On 7/31/2023 at 4:47 PM, comicjack said:

I have seen more Suspense's 3 than this book which makes me think it will be a big surprise at the auction's end :bigsmile:

On 8/1/2023 at 8:39 AM, The-Collector said:

Wow, had to go and take a look at this Dynamic 8  since it's being compared to both Suspense 3 and Punch 12:  :whatthe:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/1006340

dyn1.238.jpg

I guess it's really a case of to each their own, but personally speaking, I would take a Suspense 3 or a Punch 12 over a copy of Dynamic 8.  (shrug)

On 8/2/2023 at 2:07 AM, lou_fine said:

Wow, had to go and take a look at this Dynamic 8  since it's being compared to both Suspense 3 and Punch 12:  :whatthe:

dyn1.238.jpg

I guess it's really a case of to each their own, but personally speaking, I would take a Suspense 3 or a Punch 12 over a copy of Dynamic 8.  (shrug)

What no taste for exposed brains and devil eyes lol

On 8/2/2023 at 4:07 PM, lou_fine said:

dyn1.238.jpg

I've never liked Punch 12 much (shrug)