• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bobby Blue GA, PCH, Timely's, Westerns $1 Million collection to auction
4 4

111 posts in this topic

On 8/25/2023 at 10:11 AM, october said:

yeeting the kids' 529 plans into Beeple NFTs.

I really hope that phrase actually means something so I can shake my head and give it the ol' :preach:

On 8/25/2023 at 7:34 AM, manetteska said:
On 8/24/2023 at 9:05 PM, aardvark88 said:

Bright tomato red Startling Terror 11 Cgc 6.5 hammers at a record high $33,350!

Now I have to check my copy's PQ and determine it's richness on the tomato/coral/pink/fire engine/stop sign scale.

Well, since we heard all about "strawberry blonde" yesterday, maybe this is really a "strawberry red" cover.  lol

No doubt I will now sadly be sent to the CGC sin bin to comtemplate and have my mind washed of all these evil sinful thoughts for the different color variations of strawberry.  (tsk)  :(

Edited by lou_fine

On 8/25/2023 at 12:40 PM, Dr. Balls said:
On 8/25/2023 at 12:11 PM, october said:

yeeting the kids' 529 plans into Beeple NFTs.

I really hope that phrase actually means something so I can shake my head and give it the ol' :preach:

I’m thinking custom title…hm

On 8/25/2023 at 9:27 AM, october said:

Is Golden Age dead yet? I keep hearing that nobody cares about these comics anymore. 

GA was a dead horse.  After this auction, I'm sure it's just glue.

On 8/26/2023 at 11:16 AM, Dark Knight said:

Very impressive results for this Bobby Blue collection. It definitely exceeded my estimations. The hammer prices at which these books sold for were as if they were Pedigreed books. Reminds me of the Promise Collection during the first time they were auctioned off.

In another video/chat, I think Jamie from FlipMode Comics said there are another 1300 comics they're going to send in for grading from this collection.  I don't know if they'll be as high a quality or be "keys" or what.

On 8/26/2023 at 10:16 AM, Dark Knight said:

Very impressive results for this Bobby Blue collection. It definitely exceeded my estimations. The hammer prices at which these books sold for were as if they were Pedigreed books. Reminds me of the Promise Collection during the first time they were auctioned off.

Fresh to market = good results 

On 8/25/2023 at 1:15 PM, manetteska said:
On 8/25/2023 at 11:57 AM, october said:

Kroger Ketchup Red. Sadly the least desirable of the red variants. 

:censored: I was hoping for President's Choice.

Do you mean Strawberry Red or dare I even say do you mean Strawberry Blond?  lol

Edited by lou_fine

Collectors really seem to pay up these days for any of these new OO GA books. Maybe it’s the opportunity to be the second owner. Maybe the “story” although this collection didn’t have much of one. The hype obviously works and the thought it might be the last nice OO collection to surface. While not as impressive as the Promise, it is a very impressive group of books. It is not the last one that will surface. Will be interesting to see what happens with the next one. The “Feed Store” does.

One thing is for sure. The GA market shows no signs of slowing down and no matter how many new collections like these will be eagerly sucked up into the market place by rabid buyers. 

On 8/26/2023 at 9:16 AM, Dark Knight said:

Very impressive results for this Bobby Blue collection. It definitely exceeded my estimations. Reminds me of the Promise Collection during the first time they were auctioned off.

Pep #22 Cgc 3.0 Bobby Blue hammered at $69,575 about 30k higher than my guess-timate based on the last Cgc 2.5 blue label that sold.

On 8/27/2023 at 9:53 AM, aardvark88 said:

Pep #22 Cgc 3.0 Bobby Blue hammered at $69,575 about 30k higher than my guess-timate based on the last Cgc 2.5 blue label that sold.

Sadly, not the same kind of support for Jackpot 4 which finished at only $9,315 when others in this same grade used to go for north of $10K:  :frown:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/1009600

jac1.121.jpg

I remember when this book first catapulted itself into Overstreet's Top 100 chart seemingly from nowhere about 8 years ago on speculation that it might have been tied with Pep 22 for the first appearance of Archie.  Now that's it's seen as either the second or possibly even the third appearance of our favorite red-head teen, it has clearly lost momentum during the past few years and finally fell off from Overstreet's Top 100 chart with the new guide released this year.  :(

Edited by lou_fine

On 8/28/2023 at 2:58 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

I think part of the impressive results are also due to the name as well, Bobby Blue. It just rolls off the tongue and screams, pay up! Had it been the Bobby Fuchsia or Bobby Lilac collection, thinking we’d see less than stellar results. 

Should have been the Bobby Green collection :flipbait: