• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best places for comics in NYC
3 3

58 posts in this topic

On 7/20/2023 at 1:08 PM, ExNihilo said:

Every time I go to Manhattan, I go to Midtown Comics.  And every time, I leave disappointed.  Maybe some of that has to do with how shady they were with some exclusive variant sales.  Whatever the case, I haven't spent a dime with them in years.  They do have a warehouse sale every so often that I've considered checking out since I get the impression that's where the majority of their back issues are stored, but I've never taken the time to venture out there.

I ordered once from MC perhaps seven or eight years ago. The order was for about 30 comic books and, unfortunately, they were packaged so badly that most, roughly 25 of them, had badly blunted corners suffered during shipment. MC had me take photographs of each one prior to returning them, which I did. MC refunded me upon receiving them. I have not, nor will I, purchase from MC again.

I'll note that I recall a post from years ago in which a board member noted that when they placed a large order from MC the comic books were well packaged; apparently my order was not large enough for such packaging; but small orders were poorly packaged.

Perhaps my experience is uncommon, but one such shipment is enough for me.

On 7/18/2023 at 9:40 AM, Point Five said:

The last address I see for Roger is 104 Washington Place, and checking on Google there appears to be a barber shop there now. :( 

I really can't think of any great back issue shops... high Manhattan rents make that a tough business model. There weren't many left in recent years and unfortunately covid likely snuffed out the last few. The only one that might still qualify is Metropolis, but I believe they're by appointment only if you reserve books to pick them up, or at least that's how it used to work. There's maybe a few left way out in Queens or Brooklyn where rents are lower, but (IMO) not the best use of your limited time to hike way out there to find them.

With all that said, if you're in the midtown/Times Square area anyway, I'd recommend either of the two locations of Midtown Comics -- tons of TPBs and new issues, the occasional back issue, and just generally a fun browse, with friendly staff.

I stopped by metropolis last year, and it is an internet only business now. No storefront. 

On 7/20/2023 at 10:29 AM, Robot Man said:

Is Silver Age Comics in Queens still around? Gus, the owner is a great guy and sold me a lot of GA when I was in town. He was also at SDCC and Torpedo up until a few years ago. 

I tried to stop by there last year but the store wasn’t open even though it was well beyond opening hours. I tried calling the business number and only got voicemail. Was really hoping to go, but they may keep erratic hours. 

Edited by crazyhips

On 7/20/2023 at 6:54 PM, crazyhips said:

I tried to stop by there last year but the store wasn’t open even though it was well beyond opening hours. I tried calling the business number and only got voicemail. Was really hoping to go, but they may keep erratic hours. 

Same thing happened to me a few times I was in the neighborhood, I decided to stop by and it was closed. (shrug) It's usually hit and miss.

On 7/23/2023 at 3:35 PM, lordbyroncomics said:

I don't know how inclined you are to venture into NJ during your trip, or if you're even able, but 50 miles away from NYC is a great store I discovered last year in Cranbury, NJ called Doctor Wonder's. It's all back issues and quite vast and has that vibe and old paper smell of the comic shops I remember from my childhood.

Zapp Comics in Wayne NJ (not far from NY) has a great selection of back issues also

On 7/19/2023 at 1:19 PM, lordbyroncomics said:

The best and remaining "comic shop vibe" left in Manhattan at least is JHU Comics, formerly Jim Hanley's Universe- while I'm glad Forbidden Planet and Midtown apparently thrive, you're not going to find back issues and such there. At least there's a degree of that at JHU. I miss the days of when it was across from the Empire State Building and you'd find Golden Age Larry there. I dropped in a few months ago and guys were at the desk talking about Bill Mantlo's HULK run which warmed my heart considerably. The guy who owned St Marks Comics still does conventions; I see him set up at Big Apple every year.

http://jhucomicbooks.com/

+1

I was in Manhattan for work last week... Midtown was a waste of time, but this JHU was OK. Nothing spectacular, but it at least has some interesting stuff.

On 7/24/2023 at 8:49 PM, Brock said:

+1

I was in Manhattan for work last week... Midtown was a waste of time, but this JHU was OK. Nothing spectacular, but it at least has some interesting stuff.

I agree. JHU was pretty good. I found a nice raw copy of Tick #1 there a couple months ago. Both Midtowns were terrible with back issues. I had to buy solely off the wall.

I don't know how inclined you are to venture into NJ during your trip, or if you're even able, but 50 miles away from NYC is a great store I discovered last year in Cranbury, NJ called Doctor Wonder's. It's all back issues and quite vast and has that vibe and old paper smell of the comic shops I remember from my childhood.

Dr Wonder back issues are a mess. I still enjoy picking through the boxes but I don't like the way the books are stored. They also price them on the fly. Not really a good way of finding a bargain.

On 7/20/2023 at 10:29 AM, Robot Man said:

Is Silver Age Comics in Queens still around? Gus, the owner is a great guy and sold me a lot of GA when I was in town. He was also at SDCC and Torpedo up until a few years ago. 

They're still there. I dropped in a few months ago; that's my neighborhood. Midtown's outlet store is also in the neighborhood, but they're only open on weekends, and the majority of their back issues are discount bin books.

I too dropped by Mysterious Time Machine a few months ago, only to find them gone.

With rent so high, most NYC stores don't carry a ton of back issues.

I go to Jersey fairly frequently but usually take the parkway as opposed to the turnpike...

This sounds like it might be worth going out of my way for.

Thanks!

On 7/26/2023 at 10:13 AM, PeterPark said:

I go to Jersey fairly frequently but usually take the parkway as opposed to the turnpike...

This sounds like it might be worth going out of my way for.

Thanks!

call ahead, I heard building was sold and they are sol

besides, I bought all the OO stuff when they first opened! mwahahahahahaha

Now I'm curious. There was a small indy book in the '90s with the same name, and by the looks of it, the same logo. I wonder if someone connected to the store published the book.

https://www.amazon.com/Wonder-Old-Town-comic-book/dp/B0765ZV4JM

On 7/26/2023 at 12:17 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Now I'm curious. There was a small indy book in the '90s with the same name, and by the looks of it, the same logo. I wonder if someone connected to the store published the book.

https://www.amazon.com/Wonder-Old-Town-comic-book/dp/B0765ZV4JM

the writer owns the store

On 7/19/2023 at 1:04 PM, Point Five said:

Sadly, long gone. St. Marks is still a fun destination for food and youth culture/hipster clothing/etc, but comics and CDs are no more.

The area was once the ROIO (bootleg) capital of North America.  Internet pretty much ended selling them brick and mortar same as official product.  Used to take 2 hour train rides there in Jr High and High school days, pick up Zepp or Sabbath or Maiden live CD's then gorge on 3 bucks of 50 cent dogs at Gray's.  Just as well, the sodium and fat in just one of those franks would likley kill me now 

What a sad and ironic state of affairs that you can't find back issue comics in New York City. When my friends and I were searching for comics in the late sixties early seventies in New York you had to find used bookstores antiques stores and an occasional old record store to find comics. By the late seventies there were multiple places to find old comics as comic stores multiplied in most Manhattan neighborhoods. Now 50 years later you can once again only find new comics even at comic book stores without a back issue in sight. Not to get political but we've definitely lost part of our soul lately. Who wants to live in a society where mom and pop stores can't survive and every new store opening seems to be a bank or a restaurant?  Tough times indeed!

On 7/26/2023 at 2:52 PM, MAR1979 said:

The area was once the ROIO (bootleg) capital of North America.  Internet pretty much ended selling them brick and mortar same as official product.  Used to take 2 hour train rides there in Jr High and High school days, pick up Zepp or Sabbath or Maiden live CD's then gorge on 3 bucks of 50 cent dogs at Gray's.  Just as well, the sodium and fat in just one of those franks would likley kill me now 

Yup. :) I was a big live Dylan fan, and circa the mid-to-late-90s I was spending outlandish sums at Generation Records in the Village (which amazingly is still there, last I heard). Back then it felt like if you passed on a live CD set and someone else bought it it would be gone forever, LOL! Not so much now. 

On 7/26/2023 at 10:49 AM, Bird said:

call ahead, I heard building was sold and they are sol

besides, I bought all the OO stuff when they first opened! mwahahahahahaha

I wouldn't say you bought it all. But yes, there was a lot when they first opened.  A lot of folks definitely got in on the action.