• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2023 CGC Grading Contest Summer Edition (#7) Round 4
10 10

191 posts in this topic

Man, I was cruising along with a 🎯 or half grade off on every book - which given the subjective nature is basically a win to me - then came the Avengers. Missed that by two full grades. My monitor calibration must be way way off bc I didn’t see the “front center tear” at all. 

Didn't do too bad on the last round. Considering it was the most rushed I still came up with my usual 4 points.

Chilling Tales #13  --- 4.5

Diary Secrets #30  --- 4.5

Horrific #3 --- 2.5

Doctor Solar #1--- 4.5

Avengers #7  --- 7.0

Gave 3 4.5's as they all looked about the same grade to me. Was worries I went to lenient on Horrific 3 but remembered that i noticed for some reason CGC does not count tape and added staples as amateur restoration and that restoration if done professionally doesn't seem to effect the grade, just the label. So i graded it as a completely detached cover with other smaller defects. Almost missed the tear in avengers 7 and was going to give it at least an 8 but noticed it at the last second. hm(:

Also thanks Again to Mike and CGC and all the stats guys for putting on this fun contest and keeping us on our toes. :manhero:

Edited by Morganmi
smaller not small

My contest score would've improved substantially if I could've set aside my own long-time standards and classified these defects as "small."  But I could not.  :sumo:

Nasty 1" tear.  :whatthe:

18x3.jpg.68511cd0b4276b9b2933a585912979a9.jpg

Nasty tape stain.  :sick:

18x4.jpg.7c0dbf9fb5002394e53eb70c7a37af15.jpg

Color-based evidence/suggestion of missing paper along spine.  :ohnoez:

18x5.thumb.jpg.8290554c3684b1df9eea69f297678205.jpg

I did not do well on the last round like last contest.

According to the grader note for Avenger #7

Please confirm me if this is a tear on Iron Man's leg and boot and crease to the cover (I think two of them).

ScreenShot2023-08-06at11_00_03AM.png.0c6f5667c27504f573f148b19f7afdf1.png

Edited by JollyComics