• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for advice/help re selling possibly via heritage ?
2 2

16 posts in this topic

Looking for a guide to the pros and cons of selling through heritage, and the actual mechanics of using them if anyone can help ?

wht do I need to know before approaching them ? What are there fees ? do I send my stuff to them or the buyer ? do more art buyers watch heritage or are most sites similar ?

anything woukd really help me thanks in advance 

On 7/25/2023 at 9:49 AM, Dr_Strange said:

Looking for a guide to the pros and cons of selling through heritage, and the actual mechanics of using them if anyone can help ?

wht do I need to know before approaching them ? What are there fees ? do I send my stuff to them or the buyer ? do more art buyers watch heritage or are most sites similar ?

wht do I need to know before approaching them ? There's a form on the website. You can contact them via email or phone call to discuss the consignment 

What are there fees ? fees are variable and negotiable depending on what you have for consignment...the greater the consignment, the more negotiable your fees

do I send my stuff to them or the buyer ? directly to HA

do more art buyers watch heritage or are most sites similar ? Their network is vast and global, depending on what you're looking to sell, it is the premier auction website ( along with ebay )

anything woukd really help me thanks in advance...good luck

OP … here is what I’ll tell you.. now I haven’t sold with HA .. but I did talk to them about consigning and decided against it. Unless you have super primo stuff and can negotiate the fees down , there fees are daunting. You are talk 30 plus % of the final number. And we all get dazzled by the numbers they get on the primo stuff .. but other than that top top pieces..start pulling those percentages out and the numbers are not that exciting. In addition something you have to factor (and I’m hearing this from friends who use them) with the market changing your pieces may not come up for auction for months.. so we are seeing prices come down from what someone could have gotten for the piece when they submitted. Another factor to consider is that you will not be paid out for 60 days after the auction close. So it is a long and risky process in my opinion. For me with a little elbow grease and being reasonable selling privately has worked out. But if you have a stack of A+ pieces heritage may be worth the hassle. 

On 7/25/2023 at 9:49 AM, Dr_Strange said:

Reach out to them, Comiclink and Comicconnect and see who gives you the best offer. If you have enough pieces or top notch stuff you'll get a better deal. I sent 125-ish pieces to an auction house last year and did another 50-ish this year and the prospect of only having to ship once versus 100+ times is a lifesaver and easily worth the 10%. You can also specify when you want pieces to sell and they'll accommodate you as best as possible. 

On 7/25/2023 at 9:14 PM, bisquitodoom said:

My first time selling anything through an auction house was last year and I went with Heritage.  I was a little apprehensive as a first timer, but they walked me through each step of the process.  Super white glove on their part, and I'm not a high-roller at all.

How did you do profitwise?

I’ve sold art and comics a few times through CLink, and it was always very hassle-free. I’d say the auction house preference comes down to where you think you will get the most action, and who offers best percentage. I only worked with one, but figured all three are very professional.

On 7/25/2023 at 9:25 PM, Michael Browning said:

How did you do profitwise?

Really well!  When I was planning through what I wanted to consign, I made a list of all the pieces I was considering and the amounts I could reasonably expect for them to go for.  Out of 58 pieces, all but a handful were above what I had expected.  Many were 2x or more of what I expected.  I'm usually pretty good at estimating, but it was a crazy time and almost impossible to predict how things would end up auction to auction.  Overall I ended up 70% above.

The only duds - I ended up even with what I paid on a meh Silvestri X-Men page, though I probably overpaid originally and should have held onto it.  And I had a page go for literally $1.  It was inks on blueline and nothing I was really attached to, but I was still shocked it didn't go for more than a dollar.    

On 7/26/2023 at 4:39 PM, bisquitodoom said:

Really well!  When I was planning through what I wanted to consign, I made a list of all the pieces I was considering and the amounts I could reasonably expect for them to go for.  Out of 58 pieces, all but a handful were above what I had expected.  Many were 2x or more of what I expected.  I'm usually pretty good at estimating, but it was a crazy time and almost impossible to predict how things would end up auction to auction.  Overall I ended up 70% above.

The only duds - I ended up even with what I paid on a meh Silvestri X-Men page, though I probably overpaid originally and should have held onto it.  And I had a page go for literally $1.  It was inks on blueline and nothing I was really attached to, but I was still shocked it didn't go for more than a dollar.    

Thanks for consigning @bisquitodoom

You followed one of the very key steps to being a successful consignor; offering a good volume, diverse group. Much like picking stocks, the more diversification the more likely something will over-perform and make up for disappointments. 

I am not now and have never been a BSD, but I get 0% with HA. Negotiate, ask how you can get terms you want. I asked for some of the BP last time and got shot down (the answer was basically, hey, you get 0% AND a hefty advance...now you want some of the BP? Relax.)

Maybe I am grandfathered in since I first consigned a few years ago, but ask for that 0% and how you can get it. I actually bought a few things just to put in the consignment and increase the value my first time to make sure I would hit my total value target.

Now that I am my own auction house in NJ, I can spill dat tea!

Edited by Bird

On 7/27/2023 at 12:28 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I’ve sold art and comics a few times through CLink, and it was always very hassle-free. I’d say the auction house preference comes down to where you think you will get the most action, and who offers best percentage. I only worked with one, but figured all three are very professional.

Haven't there been various threads in this Forum in the past year highlighting lacklustre Clink OA results?  To the point that winners were gloating about the great bargains they were finding there, which you never see in threads about Heritage or CC auctions?

On 7/27/2023 at 10:12 AM, Bird said:

oh, look for the thread about art being stolen from the post office on the way to heritage. Very disconcerting. I suggest delivering it yourself if possible (I drive into NYC and hand it off, then they ship it to Texas)

I thought the thefts were taking place at the USPS facility in Texas?

On 7/27/2023 at 8:56 PM, batman_fan said:
On 7/27/2023 at 5:24 PM, tth2 said:

I thought the thefts were taking place at the USPS facility in Texas?

Hold on a second there cowboy, are you saying there are dishonest people working in our Post Offices?   

All I will say is that I sent every consignment to Heritage via Fedex.