• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2023 CGC Grading Contest Summer Edition (#7) Round 1 results
3 3

30 posts in this topic

On 7/25/2023 at 12:56 PM, zzutak said:

Collectively, the Board was two grade increments more critical than CGC (4.0 vs 5.0).  :facepalm:  It could be argued that the CGC grader was the party who whiffed on this one!  hm

He's busting out the angry red font. Zzutak is getting upset!  :ohnoez:

On 7/25/2023 at 11:56 AM, zzutak said:

R1.thumb.png.9ba1b17a7ab50f51d33ce3f990e4234e.png

According to Mike's grade distribution table, 121 players completed Round 1 (down from 128 at sign-up).  Here are the key measures of central tendency for this round (Mean = the average grade; Median = the middle grade in a numerically rank-ordered list; Mode = the most common grade):

Book CGC Grade Distribution Statistics
# Grade Mean Median Mode
1 4.5 4.5 4.5 4.5
2 7.0 7.0 7.0 7.0
3 5.0 4.0 4.0 4.0
4 1.5 1.7 1.8 1.5
5 8.0 8.3 8.5 8.5

The Board scored 141 bulls-eyes in Round 1 (23% of all grades submitted, compared to an average of 21% in CGC Grading Contests #1 thru 6).  Here are a few other notable observations based on the data reported above:

• Book #01 (Popular Comics #66):  A challenging book for many contestants, with only 18% at the same grade as CGC and only 50% within one grade increment of CGC.  However, collectively, the Board agreed with CGC (4.5 vs 4.5).  (worship)
  • Book #02 (Archie Comics #39):  An easy book for the Board as a whole, with 31% of the contestants at the same grade as CGC and 68% within one grade increment of CGC.  Collectively, the Board once again agreed with CGC (7.0 vs 7.0).  (worship)
  • Book #03 (Thing #15):  The most difficult book for the Board as a whole, with only 12% of the contestants at the same grade as CGC and only 38% within one grade increment of CGC.  :whatthe:  Collectively, the Board was two grade increments more critical than CGC (4.0 vs 5.0).  :facepalm:  It could be argued that the CGC grader was the party who whiffed on this one!  hm
  • Book #04 (Hulk #5):  Another easy book for the Board as a whole, with 32% of the contestants at the same grade as CGC and 68% within one grade increment of CGC.  Collectively, the Board was nearly one grade increment more lenient than CGC (1.7 vs 1.5).
  • Book #05 (Marvel Spotlight #10):  An average difficulty book for the Board as a whole, with 23% of the contestants at the same grade as CGC and 61% within one grade increment of CGC.  Collectively, the Board was about one-half grade increment more lenient than CGC (8.3 vs 8.0).

A strong start for the Board as a whole.  (thumbsu  (thumbsu

I agree with your assessment of # 3. I can see 4.5 on that one but 5.0 was surprising to me. It looks to be about a Quarter sized piece missing and I feel like those books have graded in the 4 range in the past. Does anyone have any type of helpful reference for grading pieces missing other than just past examples they've seen?

On 7/25/2023 at 3:52 PM, apocalypse76 said:

I agree with your assessment of # 3. I can see 4.5 on that one but 5.0 was surprising to me. It looks to be about a Quarter sized piece missing and I feel like those books have graded in the 4 range in the past. Does anyone have any type of helpful reference for grading pieces missing other than just past examples they've seen?

I have a similar that got 3.5, boardie I bought it from had it pressed and crossed fingers for 4.0. He got a similar grade on another book, but I would have figured the 4.0 was tops.

4954389_Full_Obv.jpg

On 7/25/2023 at 4:11 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I have a similar that got 3.5, boardie I bought it from had it pressed and crossed fingers for 4.0. He got a similar grade on another book, but I would have figured the 4.0 was tops.

4954389_Full_Obv.jpg

That book looks like a 5.0 to me from the front but I'm guessing there are some issues on the back, otherwise it's probably a CPR candidate.

I was one of the 4.0’s on Thing so I take solace in being with the majority even if it cost me two points.

Man, I thought an 8 would be a solid if unspectacular score. Now that I see dudes are throwing up 1s snd 2s I feel like a rec league player going one on one with Steph Curry

On 7/25/2023 at 9:56 AM, zzutak said:

R1.thumb.png.9ba1b17a7ab50f51d33ce3f990e4234e.png

According to Mike's grade distribution table, 121 players completed Round 1 (down from 128 at sign-up).  Here are the key measures of central tendency for this round (Mean = the average grade; Median = the middle grade in a numerically rank-ordered list; Mode = the most common grade):

Book CGC Grade Distribution Statistics
# Grade Mean Median Mode
1 4.5 4.5 4.5 4.5
2 7.0 7.0 7.0 7.0
3 5.0 4.0 4.0 4.0
4 1.5 1.7 1.8 1.5
5 8.0 8.3 8.5 8.5

The Board scored 141 bulls-eyes in Round 1 (23% of all grades submitted, compared to an average of 21% in CGC Grading Contests #1 thru 6).  Here are a few other notable observations based on the data reported above:

• Book #01 (Popular Comics #66):  A challenging book for many contestants, with only 18% at the same grade as CGC and only 50% within one grade increment of CGC.  However, collectively, the Board agreed with CGC (4.5 vs 4.5).  (worship)
  • Book #02 (Archie Comics #39):  An easy book for the Board as a whole, with 31% of the contestants at the same grade as CGC and 68% within one grade increment of CGC.  Collectively, the Board once again agreed with CGC (7.0 vs 7.0).  (worship)
  • Book #03 (Thing #15):  The most difficult book for the Board as a whole, with only 12% of the contestants at the same grade as CGC and only 38% within one grade increment of CGC.  :whatthe:  Collectively, the Board was two grade increments more critical than CGC (4.0 vs 5.0).  :facepalm:  It could be argued that the CGC grader was the party who whiffed on this one!  hm
  • Book #04 (Hulk #5):  Another easy book for the Board as a whole, with 32% of the contestants at the same grade as CGC and 68% within one grade increment of CGC.  Collectively, the Board was nearly one grade increment more lenient than CGC (1.7 vs 1.5).
  • Book #05 (Marvel Spotlight #10):  An average difficulty book for the Board as a whole, with 23% of the contestants at the same grade as CGC and 61% within one grade increment of CGC.  Collectively, the Board was about one-half grade increment more lenient than CGC (8.3 vs 8.0).

A strong start for the Board as a whole.  (thumbsu  (thumbsu

Besides the obvious of this showing CGC probably graded too softly on Thing #15, I think this also shows that they went a little too hard on Marvel Spotlight #10.  I'll concede I was a little too optimistic at a 9.0, but I don't know if that should really be below a 8.5.