• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trouble with Comiclink Website?
10 10

266 posts in this topic

I was flipping through radio stations this morning and I heard several hospitals suffered a malware attack.  I didn't think much of it until they said the northeast part of the USA was affected.  Then my ears perked up and I remembered that is where ComicLink is located.  Is this the same attack?  I dunno.

On 8/4/2023 at 2:37 PM, Bumble Kitty said:

I was flipping through radio stations this morning and I heard several hospitals suffered a malware attack.  I didn't think much of it until they said the northeast part of the USA was affected.  Then my ears perked up and I remembered that is where ComicLink is located.  Is this the same attack?  I dunno.

Not unless those doctors were all bidding on auctions at CL. Malware is what happens when you visit a bad site like CL with lax security, it downloads to your machine and that’s it. This is likely whatever these hospitals did, someone clicked something (probably not CL) they shouldn’t have and it infected the machine and compromised the entire network. CL is in its own boat of running old code with security vulnerabilities and it’s surprising they’ve got away with it as long as they have… I noticed they were on a jquery library which came out over 10 years ago and has had known vulnerabilities for at least 5 years… that is not ideal. And this is what’s out there now - after they seem to believe they’ve “fixed it”.

On 8/4/2023 at 5:49 PM, wiparker824 said:

Not unless those doctors were all bidding on auctions at CL. Malware is what happens when you visit a bad site like CL with lax security, it downloads to your machine and that’s it. This is likely whatever these hospitals did, someone clicked something (probably not CL) they shouldn’t have and it infected the machine and compromised the entire network. CL is in its own boat of running old code with security vulnerabilities and it’s surprising they’ve got away with it as long as they have… I noticed they were on a jquery library which came out over 10 years ago and has had known vulnerabilities for at least 5 years… that is not ideal. And this is what’s out there now - after they seem to believe they’ve “fixed it”.

Depends. If a local datacenter provider was compromised, anyone hosting inside could be vulnerable.

As you stated, the older the code, the greater the risk.

-bc

On 8/4/2023 at 2:57 PM, bc said:

Depends. If a local datacenter provider was compromised, anyone hosting inside could be vulnerable.

As you stated, the older the code, the greater the risk.

-bc

I guess but I assume CL isn’t even in a data center. Just some guy’s old Dell tower running Windows Sever 2003 in a closet at CL. 

On 8/4/2023 at 6:18 PM, wiparker824 said:

I guess but I assume CL isn’t even in a data center. Just some guy’s old Dell tower running Windows Sever 2003 in a closet at CL. 

Their WHOIS points back to Cloudfare.com - so there is some hope.

But you paint a picture that I've seen a million times!

-bc

I don't see any indication this was a hack. Theft hackers want sites to stay up, and typically don't cause any coding issues. Malicious hackers typically want you to know they were there, usually defacing home pages or placing the ransomware demands where all can see. The only thing I see odd is that comiclink.com had a DNS update today. They are hosted by Cloudflare with data center servers being hosted by ColocationAmerica, neither of which I have heard of any hack. The healthcare hack was just yesterday, so before CLink went down.

More than likely this was a code crash possibly the SQL sever DB, then a backup/restore failure.

The more concerning thing to me however, is the lack of communication. The deleting posts, ignoring attempts to contact are disappointing at best.

On 8/4/2023 at 4:21 PM, mjoeyoung said:

Less than 3 hours before items start closing.  It is shocking that they have made no attempts to communicate with their customers.  Are they just planning to ignore it?

Was ComicLink HACKED?!?! - youtube

Good luck to all the sellers and bidders!  

I watched that and learned absolutely nothing.  Thank you and I hope I helped feed that man's family.

On 8/4/2023 at 4:20 PM, Telegan said:

I watched that and learned absolutely nothing.  Thank you and I hope I helped feed that man's family.

At least you know not to watch that youtuber anymore. He's the king of rambling a bunch of nonsense. 

So the Web site works from my mobile phone but not from my PC.

Also site works using Microsoft Edge but doesn't work in Google Chrome.

Anyone else experiencing this ?

Edited by migmtl76

On 8/4/2023 at 5:37 PM, Flanders82 said:

At least you know not to watch that youtuber anymore. He's the king of rambling a bunch of nonsense. 

Yeah, I should have added some context there.  I didn't even watch much of the video, I was just looking for any other mentions of CL being down.

Looks like their strategy is working because nobody really cares enough. (shrug)

Site is still up for me.  

Edited by mjoeyoung

On 8/4/2023 at 6:01 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

All of that tells me that it's business as usual at CLink. It's comforting. :cloud9:

On 8/4/2023 at 5:41 PM, Tons Of Style said:

I still can't believe anybody is surprised by this, it's typical behavior for Josh (shrug)

Can't speak for public announcements, never really paid attention, but in the years I've been dealing with them any problems I've had were addressed and with fast email response. Maybe I've been lucky.

On 8/4/2023 at 6:47 PM, migmtl76 said:

Works for me on my desktop using Firefox and Chrome, but I haven't tried bidding on anything since Monday or so, I think.

On 8/4/2023 at 7:47 PM, migmtl76 said:

I erased my cookies from the site and restarted my computer.

Comiclink is now visible in Chrome.