• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trouble with Comiclink Website?
10 10

266 posts in this topic

On 8/3/2023 at 7:50 AM, Mijael.Levy said:

One of my books that finished in the monday auction sold for a ridicoulus amount. I just contacted them to ask if they are also repeating that auction

I don’t see how they can keep those as valid sales. You can’t tell me redirecting people to nefarious sites (which is what was happening then) didn’t limit the bidding potential. But some of those people may have even paid on those books they won before they went down… that’s going to be messy. 

Also just noticed CL seems to be deleting comments off their FB now, and “limiting who can reply”. There were like 15 comments on their last post from a couple days ago all talking about this and they don’t show up anymore for me. Unless I just don’t know how to use FB anymore which also seems possible. 

Edit: Seems I was correct, deleted their last insta post which had a couple comments and made their Twitter account private. Guess we are in the damage control portion of the show.

Edited by wiparker824
More info

Wake up call for CL? Leading collectibles auction site down for 3+ days. Doubt they follow any specific SLA guidelines, but I'm pretty sure this is beyond acceptable site downtime...for an entire year.

Once the site is up (if at all), I am taking the following steps:

1. reseting my password

2. manually deleting personal info and credit card on file.

3. request account deletion

4. Likely not do business with them again.

To be fair, this problem is not isolated to CL and could happen to most, if not all homegrown e-commerce websites and iPhone apps. Consumers should take heed.

Edited by ComicsAndCode

On 8/3/2023 at 10:13 AM, ComicsAndCode said:

Wake up call for CL? Leading collectibles auction site down for 3+ days. Doubt they follow any specific SLA guidelines, but I'm pretty sure this is beyond acceptable site downtime...for an entire year.

1. reseting my password

To be fair, this problem is not isolated to CL and could happen to most, if not all homegrown e-commerce websites and iPhone apps. Consumers should take heed.

If there was a compromise of personal information, they are probably talking to their lawyer. I blame all the satanic Dungeons and Dragons stuff they sold at the last auction for the outage.  Play with the devil you get burned! :devil:

On 8/3/2023 at 8:54 AM, nearmint said:

I don't know if it's related, but I charged two books on my credit card from a CL auction win Monday of last week.  That charge still isn't showing up on my credit card statement. 

FWIW I had a win and paid on 7/24 (last Monday), it showed up on my CC on 7/26. I’ve not received any tracking but wins from 7/24 seemed to have been processed as usual for me.

Edited by wiparker824

On 8/3/2023 at 9:30 AM, wiparker824 said:

FWIW I had a win and paid on 7/24 (last Monday), it showed up on my CC on 7/26. I’ve not received any tracking but wins from 7/24 seemed to have been processed as usual for me.

Oops, I had the date wrong.  I went through the checkout process on their site on 7/26.  

On 8/3/2023 at 11:13 AM, ComicsAndCode said:

1. reseting my password

It might be best to change any other account passwords on any other sites that use the same credentials you used with clink. It may also be a good idea to freeze or have new cc issued for any cards you had on file with them and monitor them for any unauthorized charges or activity.

At this point, you have to assume the worst. If it was an xss attack, that often targets the end user of a site or application meaning your computer or browser could be compromised as well if not up to date/patched.  Run a full system AV scan and uninstall/reinstall your the browsers you used to navigate to the site. Apply any patches or updates to your OS.

Don't wait for them to advise you or notify you. Companies often have to resolve issues internally and clear statements with lawyers and law enforcement before sending out notifications to customers.

On 8/3/2023 at 9:45 AM, Mmehdy said:

Even with damage control, it is essential that communication be given out and some sort of timeline estimated given. We are not asking for the world here....just plain and simple communication as to where things are in the recovery process and when we can expect some resolution, if you have the energy and time to delete posts then you certainly have the time to given a minimal response which would not compromise your recovery. A total misfire on this blackout....

My impression of Josh is that he is the litigious type so he's probably following everything his lawyer is telling him to do (not necessarily a bad plan) and I'm sure his lawyer is telling him to shut up until he knows exactly what the damage is and when it will be fixed... which I doubt he has any clue about either yet.

This happened once before many years ago.  They took care of it and took care of any affected bidder if I remember. They were also very transparent.  For them not to say anything right now should be of a concern given their past track record of customer service, transparency and communication. 

Something bad must have happened that they may not be able to currently discuss. 

On 8/3/2023 at 10:09 AM, Buzzetta said:

This happened once before many years ago.  They took care of it and took care of any affected bidder if I remember. They were also very transparent.  For them not to say anything right now should be of a concern given their past track record of customer service, transparency and communication. 

Something bad must have happened that they may not be able to currently discuss. 

Last time it was a matter of hours, not days so yes something very bad has happened this time. My guess is they do not know the extent of the damage and what, if any, fix there is. So they are keeping their traps shut until they can tell people something more than "we're buggered".

One of my books that finished in the monday auction sold for a ridicoulus amount. I just contacted them to ask if they are also repeating that auction

Thought Monday auctions went okay? I'm in the UK and I bid on a load of stuff. Won some Golden Age Batmans / Detectvies (those did NOT go cheap).

Then as it was 2am UK time - I just left some bid on for stuff ending in the following hours. Some I won, some I got outbid emails as normal so evidently other people bidding okay). Then I got my 'what you won' summary email as normal in the morning. So nothing seemed unusual.

Tuesday morning I earmarked the auctions I was interested in for the Bronze / Copper age auction start. Only about half an hour before the first items were going to close (just gone midnight UK time) did I get the initial 'website maintenance ' screen 'take 1 minute' screen. 

So surely all Monday auctions will stand?

Tuesday auctions wont (because it was impossible to bid in the closing hours)?

Edited by lm1589

On 8/3/2023 at 9:30 AM, wiparker824 said:

Same - I processed my 7/24 wins on 7/25 and check cleared on 7/31.     

On 8/3/2023 at 1:40 PM, Dr Hfuhruhurr said:

I received an email from Comiclink at 1:24 PM EDT.  A normal notification for a wantlist item.  Website still down but this is a somewhat positive sign.

While on surface perhaps plausible it's a positive sign, from a tech perspective it may very well be independent thus no sign whatsoever. Example inventory DB is fine and email batch mechanisms no issues since independent.

Edited by MAR1979

And just after saying I didn’t get tracking info yet for my 7/24 win I just got the text from FedEx. And it’s an update that FedEx actually has the package in hand not just that the label was created… so someone is alive over there dropping off packages at FedEx.

On 8/3/2023 at 11:09 AM, wiparker824 said:

And just after saying I didn’t get tracking info yet for my 7/24 win I just got the text from FedEx. And it’s an update that FedEx actually has the package in hand not just that the label was created… so someone is alive over there dropping off packages at FedEx.

And I'm an insufficiently_thoughtful_person.  Took another look at my statement, and my auctions winnings were charged on 7/27.  Hopefully, I'll get tracking soon.