• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did I just buy TMNT #1??
11 11

165 posts in this topic

On 8/9/2023 at 6:51 PM, Mike Oliver said:

Sorry my bad yes it  was antique store I go to bunch of both they are free to go to lol. I canceled that sell after every one said it was it was most likely a fake. And yes taking pictures while driving was the best idea but I was I trying to figure out what I had and I excited to find out 

:jokealert: :butbutbutemoji: glad now it's all in good fun! Since you canceled the sale ^^

:cheers: hope you can get some feedback! I think it is funny that you typed the was the best! 

On 8/9/2023 at 7:02 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

:jokealert: :butbutbutemoji: glad now it's all in good fun! Since you canceled the sale ^^

:cheers: hope you can get some feedback! I think it is funny that you typed the was the best! 

Yea never seeing a turtles #1 I had no idea what it was and I’ve  read stories about people finding scores at yard sales, flee markets, antique stores so I just thought I became one of them people lol 

On 8/9/2023 at 10:10 PM, rich_TMNT said:

But, I hesitate anymore to use the "counterfeit" label / term on these copies that aren't official but have interior pages on newsprint (although for the sake of labeling them for clarity, I'll use the term "counterfeit" in parenthesis here).  I say that because, as @Dr. Balls mentioned previously, printing on newsprint paper (unless there's something I'm unaware of) requires offset / web press printing that is very logistically involved and really isn't something cost-effective for something you only see a few copies of surface every once in a while. (thumbsu

This is not true. You can buy 11x17 newsprint that will run in any modern digital copier.

https://paperworks.com/store/products/newsprint-white-11x17-30lb-5lbbox

Ebay is full of repro SA comics that use this paper.

Page 33 - this page has a bunch of stuff that's interesting between the 3rd printing and the 1st/2nd printings.  But, the thing about this page that is really unique when it comes to the "counterfeits" is Shredder's left fist in the lower left panel. The first three printings (1st, 2nd, & 3rd) of TMNT #1 don't print the entirety of this fist - the knuckle of Shredder's little finger is cut off

This is also not true. I personally scanned my TMNT 2nd print which I bought when it was released. I recently sold this book on eBay, so I'm no longer in possession of it, but I have full 600DPI scans of every page. This is a crop of the bottom of the page in question.

image.thumb.png.8f348f3712225483395664047df9da03.png

And since you'll probably ask, yes, it has the mark at the top of the left hand side of the page.

Edited by stock_rotation

Also, for anyone assuming good faith, honest mistake, etc. You should actually look at the auction in question. Seller included a picture of the interior that has @rich_TMNT watermarks all over it. How does that happen accidentally?

image.thumb.png.dd853c42d2b63f2ce78967d89b689e7c.png

Edited by stock_rotation

On 8/9/2023 at 9:22 PM, godzilla43 said:

I would have first find out what it is that I am selling before listing it to Ebay.

That’s asking a lot from a guy who was doing 80mph driving home from the flea market antique shop while taking pictures of the interior pages to post for the eBay listing. 

But yes, you are correct. Because if you actually did have a 1st print (or even thought there was a real chance you did) the last thing you’d want to do is hastily throw it up on eBay with an ambiguous listing that had 3 questions posed in the title - “1st? 2nd? 3rd? Print”. Especially since you’re estimating it at a 9.4 potential grade, which would land a value of around 35k. It’s almost as if the seller knew it wasn’t a 1st print but wanted to find a buyer (sucker) who might believe it is. hm

Edited by wiparker824

On 8/9/2023 at 9:46 PM, wiparker824 said:

That’s asking a lot from a guy who was doing 80mph driving home from the flea market antique shop while taking pictures of the interior pages to post for the eBay listing. 

But yes, you are correct. Because if you actually did have a 1st print (or even thought there was a real chance you did) the last thing you’d want to do is hastily throw it up on eBay with an ambiguous listing that had 3 questions posed in the title - “1st? 2nd? 3rd? Print”. Especially since you’re estimating it at a 9.4 potential grade, which would land a value of around 35k. It’s almost as if the seller knew it wasn’t a 1st print but wanted to find a buyer (sucker) who might believe it is. hm

But it seems they did find a sucker.  So what's with the canceled screenshot?  For starters, I find it hard to believe that anyone would spend four figures on a book when the title doesn't make it clear as to what exactly they're buying.  And then beyond that, who cancels a four figure sale knowing the book isn't a 1st or 2nd printing and that they likely sold the book for way more than should have been reasonably expected.  I'm with Mystafo, this whole thing is really confusing.  ???

On 8/9/2023 at 10:31 PM, ExNihilo said:

But it seems they did find a sucker.  So what's with the canceled screenshot?  For starters, I find it hard to believe that anyone would spend four figures on a book when the title doesn't make it clear as to what exactly they're buying.  And then beyond that, who cancels a four figure sale knowing the book isn't a 1st or 2nd printing and that they likely sold the book for way more than should have been reasonably expected.  I'm with Mystafo, this whole thing is really confusing.  ???

I’ve seen it before. People list ambiguous facsimiles or later printings and people buy them inflated. Happens less now, but early days of facsimiles especially those that were of moderns like UF 4 where you’d expect the book to look brand new got a lot of people. I’m not surprised this TMNT got someone. That book doesn’t look like any of the later reprints, and the last page ad being for gobbledygook only appears in 1st print (not 2nd/3rd), so anyone who knows anything about what they’re buying knows it’s automatically not a 2nd or 3rd even though those are possible options from the listing title. So if you don’t see that price omission on the back cover, you may roll the dice it’s a 1st print. And with eBay’s policy of return money back guarantee for 30 days you can buy and figure it out when you get it. That all seems plausible.

Why cancel it? I don’t know, was being called out here and found a conscious to do the right thing? 

On 8/9/2023 at 8:36 PM, stock_rotation said:

This is not true. You can buy 11x17 newsprint that will run in any modern digital copier.

https://paperworks.com/store/products/newsprint-white-11x17-30lb-5lbbox

Ebay is full of repro SA comics that use this paper.

This is also not true. I personally scanned my TMNT 2nd print which I bought when it was released. I recently sold this book on eBay, so I'm no longer in possession of it, but I have full 600DPI scans of every page. This is a crop of the bottom of the page in question.

image.thumb.png.8f348f3712225483395664047df9da03.png

And since you'll probably ask, yes, it has the mark at the top of the left hand side of the page.

Thank you @stock_rotation for the response and feedback on this.

In regards to the sheets of newsprint paper, I've seen that paper before but it's my understanding that paper is for art / packing usage and is not suitable (at least not recommended) for use in copy machines since it absorbs too much ink and results in bleeding / runs on the page. There's a statement to that effect on the page you linked to.  During research for my articles, I went to a local FedEx Kinkos and asked them about the possibilities of newsprint paper and they said their machines wouldn't work with newsprint so they referred me to a local print shop. That shop didn't recommend using newsprint sheets (due to the bleeding) but instead recommended newsprint rolls through a different machine that ran the paper faster through than a normal sheet-fed machine would (similar to how an offset web press would work). That, of course, doesn't mean it couldn't be done on a copier so I suppose that it might be worth maybe doing a test in the future to see what's possible with that type of paper when used in a copier (and what it looks and feels like).  If it turns out that paper works in a copier and produces decent results, that might change my theory about "counterfeits" possibly being proofs.  I am meeting this fall with a major printer on the east coast and will definitely ask about the possibilities of newsprint paper printing (aside from web offset).

In relation to the Page 33 fist - thank you for providing that picture of your 2nd printing.  Would you believe that you're one of three people that have now provided me images of their 2nd printing having the full fist viewable on Page 33?  So...that means it may or may not be fully visible in the 2nd printing which also means that's likely true for the 1st printing as well (maybe even for the 3rd, too).  I'll keep trying to source more interior page images for further research.  But, one neat thing about knowing this fist may or may not be fully visible on Page 33 is that it helps with further authentication of the TMNT #1 Negatives.  That fist being fully visible on the negative but not being visible on the printed page really was a mystery to me since it seemed to be something that SHOULD have printed - but now I see that it's just a printing anomaly that affected some copies but not all.  AND, knowing your Page 33 has the mark in the upper left margin - that's definitely awesome! 

Newsprint.jpg

Edited by rich_TMNT

On 8/9/2023 at 10:34 PM, stock_rotation said:

Also, for anyone assuming good faith, honest mistake, etc. You should actually look at the auction in question. Seller included a picture of the interior that has @rich_TMNT watermarks all over it. How does that happen accidentally?

I can actually see how that could happen accidentally.  Perhaps he had been researching the internet to verify what he had and saved that image to his phone for comparison, then when he listed the comic on eBay he accidentally included that photo.  This scenario is more likely if he created the listing while driving.  I'm not sure if he actually did that, but he definitely took some of the photos while driving.  (Illegal in many states but I'm not sure about Louisiana or Mississippi.)  Perhaps in his excitement over what he thought he (possibly) had, he created the listing in haste.

On 8/9/2023 at 9:34 PM, stock_rotation said:

Yikes!  I hadn't noticed a picture on the listing was from my site. I don't understand why it's even included because there's also a picture of that full page spread from the actual book - which doesn't at all match with mine from a 1st printing.  Definitely concerning - something's amiss.  Starting to get a sense that maybe this wasn't found at a store after all and we're all being duped. Hope I'm wrong.

On 8/10/2023 at 7:16 AM, lostboys said:

Maybe its just a fake cover and the inside is real?

(shrug)

The cover (with exception of the missing price) actually looks pretty good for a non-authentic copy - colors are decent, cross-hatching seems there, and the blood on the sword seems accurate.  But the interior page art scaling doesn't at all match with a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd printing so the interiors are completely something else.

On 8/10/2023 at 8:46 AM, rich_TMNT said:

Thank you @stock_rotation for the response and feedback on this.

In regards to the sheets of newsprint paper, I've seen that paper before but it's my understanding that paper is for art / packing usage and is not suitable (at least not recommended) for use in copy machines since it absorbs too much ink and results in bleeding / runs on the page. There's a statement to that effect on the page you linked to. 

Copy machines don't use ink. They disperse colored powder (toner) on the surface which is then heated quickly and fuses the toner to the paper. There is no absorption. I suspect the caveat about not being suitable for printing is for consumer-level inkjet printers, where that would actually be a problem. That size of cut-sheet newsprint is meant for consumers; offset printers would either use roll newsprint, or if they were configured for sheetfed, it would be a larger page size like 28" x 40". If you walked into your local printshop with a ream of that paper they'd pass on the job because setting up a press to properly run that paper would likely use up half the ream.

Digital copiers are how current counterfeits (or replicas, as the kids are calling them now) are being produced. Nobody's inking up a press to run 1 or 5 or 10 copies of a comic. The cost would be astronomical. But you can get a single copy of a 36-page color comic printed, stapled and cut to size at your local copy shop for under $20. Cheaper if you get more than one copy.

That fist being fully visible on the negative but not being visible on the printed page really was a mystery to me since it seemed to be something that SHOULD have printed - but now I see that it's just a printing anomaly that affected some copies but not all

I can provide you with a technical explanation as to what likely happened. I won't bore everyone else with the details; I'll send you a PM.