• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Auctions Preview 8/22-8/25 Chicago
2 2

40 posts in this topic

For those interested, Felix Lu interviewed Frank Miller’s art dealer Scott Free, who brought a lot of Dark Knight Returns pages to market. It’s a most interesting listen: 

https://www.felixcomicart.com/podcastdetail.asp?pId=21

It may answer some of your questions, but as Felix states “many years have passed” so memories may be a bit fuzzy. I know mine would be!

Edited by gumbydarnit

On 8/19/2023 at 8:35 PM, gumbydarnit said:

We seem to do a lot of detective work for heritage perhaps they’ll give us a little cut from the buyers premium on this lot ; )

In this case, I'm not sure Heritage (or the consignor) appreciates our detective work. 

On 8/19/2023 at 5:00 AM, Nexus said:

IIRC, the first page in the sequence is mostly published. With the exception of the two panels below (which I own). Miller re-inked these two panels for publication.

OTOH, the second page is entirely re-inked by Miller. So there are two complete pages, one published, one unpublished (the one being auctioned).

Felix, do you know what is under Miller's re-inks?  Is it a reproduction of his original pencils? 

On 8/20/2023 at 12:57 AM, EXPhysiker said:

Since this is an international signature auction, the buyer have to pay 25% BP. Don't know why the seller put this in the international and not in the US signature auction.

Shouldn't affect the buyer, as all you need to do is factor the 25% BP into whatever is the gross price you're willing to pay.  If you're willing to pay $1000, then divide $1,000 by 1.25 and the max bid you would submit is $800. 

If it were a regular Heritage auction with a 20% BP, then the max gross price I'd be willing to pay would still be $1000, but the max bid I would submit would be $833 (divide $1,000 by 1.20). 

As for why the seller consigned to the international auction, I would guess that the seller is located in Europe and there is a tax advantage for selling in Europe rather than in the US.   

Published version is so much more intense IMO.

Notice all the glue stains on the published page. My guess is he thought he'd be OK to just redraw the big bottom panel and stat the smaller top ones, but then saw how much better it was turning out and decided to rip off the stat and redrew the rest.

On 8/21/2023 at 10:29 AM, J.Sid said:

Notice all the glue stains on the published page. My guess is he thought he'd be OK to just redraw the big bottom panel and stat the smaller top ones, but then saw how much better it was turning out and decided to rip off the stat and redrew the rest.

Definitely a different style.  Janson was more classic and Miller more stylized.  You can tell the effect he was going for and why he would redo it.  

Janson is on my Mt Rushmore of inkers, and his work with Miller on DD is one of the high points of superhero comics in the history of the medium (IMHO). That said, the Miller inked version of the above sequence is so superior to the Janson inked version in every way (again, IMHO). I think it's just fascinating that both versions exist and is an excellent example of how the differences in link line, aesthetic and intention can influence pencils and storytelling so profoundly. 

On 8/22/2023 at 2:29 AM, J.Sid said:

Will those glue stains damage the paper and will they spread with time? 

Should they be professionally removed and if they are does that affect the arts value?