• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If grade came back 7.5 C-1
1 1

16 posts in this topic

On 8/14/2023 at 6:08 PM, lunarama said:

How does that change the value if a 7.5 book is valued at $4k?

Depends on a lot of factors including what book it is, what it looks like, etc. C-1 is "Poor/Slight" - can you post a pic?

As an anecdotal/illustrative example, an Amazing Spider-man 3 CGC 5.5 Universal (blue) label recently sold for $3,655. There's an Amazing Spider-man 3 CGC 6.5 Restored (purple) label C-1 currently at auction with 45 bids for $1,136 with 2 days left to go.

So again, it'll depend on the book, but you'll certainly see a difference in value.

Edited by Jesse-Lee

Unfortunately, the higher the grade the bigger the discount against the unrestored price is to be expected. How much of a discount will depend on the book itself, as will the type and degree of restoration. A couple of small tear seals isn't going to be treated as harshly as a trimmed book, or one with a rebuilt spine. 

I find a decent starting point for most types of slight restoration is to cut the grade in half and use the price from unrestored copies in that grade. So a restored 7.5 might sell for around the same price as an unrestored 4.0, but that's just a starting point. If the restoration is removable without knocking the grade down too dramatically, you might expect more, if it's a case where a completely split spine has been expertly repaired, you might expect less, as one has to consider what the grade might have been prior to the restoration. And to reiterate, the era, title, eye-appeal, demand and scarcity of the book in general can all effect the desirability and price of a restored book. 

Cutting the grade in half instead of the value in half is a better method IMHO. It amounts to roughly the same thing with many 2.0 to 6.0 books (depending on the era and how difficult even midgrade copies are to find), but when you get into higher grades the 50% of unrestored value isn't going to work as well. If you have a book worth say $5K in 9.0  but say $2500 in 8.0, you'll have a hard time getting people to pay $2500 for a restored 9.0 when they can get an unrestored 8.0 for the same price. 

Very very key books like that I think people are a bit less harsh about the restoration just bc they want it in their collection. You’re still not going to get full value but I’d guess you’d do a bit better than the standard 50% purple label hit. Somewhere between $2500-3k I’d guess

That book is common enough in every grade that you can pretty easily research price history even without GPA. The good news is there is a lot of price compression for the book due to demand. Unrestored 7.5s seem to typically go for $3K-3.5K (you'd have to be lucky or have a beautifully presenting white pager to get $4K), but a PLOD 7.5 recently sold for $2750, the resto being minor color touch, so perhaps the buyer thought it might be easily removable, or ebay being ebay, just overpaid. With folks paying as much as $1700 for a 3.5, this is one of those books that suffers less from restoration or downward grading than most. Unlike say a SA key like ASM #14, where you might expect $4500 for a blue label 7.5, but a restored 7.5 copy recently sold for $1920, or about what you might expect for a 4.5.

Edited by rjpb

I literally JUST got this book in the mail this week, and it matches a few of your criteria though this one is the dreaded TRIMMED (which I am happy to live with if it means just getting a good looking copy of the book in my collection for cheap)

Restored 7.5 (c-1): Paid $384
Universal 7.5: 90-Day Average $1559 (This super low as well, it was previously hitting a high of $2816 and typically you will see it listed online for at least $2000)

So in your case it won't be as steep a price cut, and I would say around 2/3 of FMV for your restored GSX1.

lf-3.thumb.jpeg.1f234c8264bf5dafc30bf45b3da0eaae.jpeg

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 8/15/2023 at 6:38 AM, lunarama said:

The book is Giant Size X-Men #1

My best estimate would be about one third of the universal price—so around $1,333 if $4K is a good number. A low-grade book might get 50% of the universal price, but I don't think that a 7.5 would. A much scarcer book might.

That heavy of a punishment might not seem to make a lot of sense—which is why some people are removing resto, getting a lower grade, and still turning a profit—but the hobby hates PLODS.

On 8/16/2023 at 11:24 AM, lunarama said:

Where can I see up to date value on all the early X-Men #'s 2-67?

you'd need a paid subscription to GPA Analysis  for last sale numbers,  or goCollect gives some grades for free using  their own FMV algorithm (all grades & recent sales require paid subscription)

There's another site called Covrprice.com which gives FMV & recent sales (again you get some for free but need paid subscription for unlimited access)

There's always Ebay which gives 30 day history , thought you can get a year history if you have done enough transactions with them