• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sotheby's sued over sale of NFTs
1 1

34 posts in this topic

On 8/17/2023 at 10:46 AM, MIL0S said:

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/bored-apes-sothebys-lawsuit/index.html

thoughts? I find the whole concept of NFT's ridiculous and have less than zero sympathy for anyone involved. 

Exactlylol boo frickin hoo!

They bought a fukkin jpg.    What did they expect was going to happen?

Edited by Bronty

On 8/18/2023 at 8:21 AM, timguerrero said:

if this lawsuit gets a favorable outcome will it mean other buyers could potentially sue auction houses to? not just for NFT's but for real art.

I’m not a lawyer but I’d have to assume it will get laughed out of court.     Maybe they are just hoping for a small settlement ?     Surely they don’t want to actually try the case?

On 8/18/2023 at 10:19 AM, comix4fun said:

I wouldn't be so sure it's going to get laughed out of court. There are a lot of defendants here, and the allegations against most of them fall in line with what's been alleged (and charged) against celebrities like Lindsay Lohan, Jake Paul, and others in the realm of crypto. The bar is dramatically lower in civil court than in an SEC criminal filing, so a lot will depend on their disclosures of being a paid spokesperson and personal financial interest. These aren't "financial instruments" or securities, but pumping investments when you're being paid to say what you're saying is a minefield, they also don't have as tough a bar to reach. 
The Sotheby's allegations will need to be fleshed out to see if they were making false claims with an eye towards financial gain. 

There's a lot of detail we've yet to see here but, given the amount of loss incurred, I wouldn't expect this to disappear any time soon. 

Thanks, that's interesting.

You don't think there's a common sense element of "you bought a fukkin digital file with no inherent value"?

On 8/18/2023 at 10:55 AM, Bronty said:

Thanks, that's interesting.

You don't think there's a common sense element of "you bought a fukkin digital file with no inherent value"?

In general, going to court would open the can of worms that is the entire art market.  As has been mentioned in previous topics, there are some loose analogs between the lowly comic book art market and art sales/auctions.