• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I've had issues with CGC before but nothing like this
10 10

101 posts in this topic

On 8/21/2023 at 6:53 PM, zzutak said:

The root problem is that the individuals handling our treasures are not being properly trained or properly supervised.  For whatever reason, they're apparently unwilling to approach their supervisor and immediately own up to a mistake.  When Steve Borock founded CGC, turning a profit was one of several goals.  Now, under Blackstone, profit is quite possibly the only objective.  Sad.

Blackstone.png.bdb4efbbbbcd9ffee44cebc3f2a6161e.png

As I've said before when books were obviously damaged and someone did it and didn't own up to it, there appears to be a corporate culture problem where employees hide mistakes and damage.

On 8/22/2023 at 11:17 AM, CGC Mike said:

Thanks for the info.  I will pass it along.  I was told that the first grader (first person to remove the book from the bag) noted this:  top right piece detached in bag - placed between pgs 3&4”.   When asked about this, he said the piece was already detached and floating in the bag.  

If OP provided you the picture(s) before receiving the package, why was OP not notified that book was damaged before grading?  

I am getting scared to send my books to CGC.

• Administrator
On 8/22/2023 at 8:57 PM, JollyComics said:

If OP provided you the picture(s) before receiving the package, why was OP not notified that book was damaged before grading?  

I am getting scared to send my books to CGC.

The pictures were provided yesterday.

On 8/22/2023 at 8:07 PM, CGC Mike said:

The pictures were provided yesterday.

Yes, you are correct while I re-read all posts before you responded.  

I remembered it very well.  About 12 years ago, CGC contacted me about my package was damaged.  I asked them to inspect them. They inspected and told me there were no damage on them so I told them going ahead to grade them.  All graded books were what I expected and I was happy about your service was very courtesy, but it subsequently never happened again.  I really missed old CGC service.

On 8/22/2023 at 8:50 PM, thehumantorch said:

As I've said before when books were obviously damaged and someone did it and didn't own up to it, there appears to be a corporate culture problem where employees hide mistakes and damage.

BlameFULL  postmortems

Not to :deadhorse: ...but...

If Step 1 states on their website "under security cameras" - then going back to that moment in time would solve the problem. Why have or make the claim of constant monitoring in Step 1 if there apparently is no mentioned effort to go directly to the footage first?

Dear valued customer, we will review the security footage from the initial intake process and get back to you within 24 hours. We will be able to provide photographs/stills and discuss the next steps depending on the findings. Yada yada...

hm

On 8/23/2023 at 12:45 AM, CHASEnBLUE said:

Not to :deadhorse: ...but...

If Step 1 states on their website "under security cameras" - then going back to that moment in time would solve the problem. Why have or make the claim of constant monitoring in Step 1 if there apparently is no mentioned effort to go directly to the footage first?

Dear valued customer, we will review the security footage from the initial intake process and get back to you within 24 hours. We will be able to provide photographs/stills and discuss the next steps depending on the findings. Yada yada...

hm

That poor CGC Horse never had a chance.

On 8/22/2023 at 1:24 PM, CGC Mike said:

The receiving team works right next to the graders; they open the box, receive the books (still in the bags), and hand them to the grader.  

They do???

Wouldn't that mean they have possible knowledge of WHO'S book they're grading?

I was always told that it was a blind submission to graders to protect the identity and possible favoritism (or LACK of)...

On 8/23/2023 at 10:18 AM, Prince Namor said:

They do???

Wouldn't that mean they have possible knowledge of WHO'S book they're grading?

I was always told that it was a blind submission to graders to protect the identity and possible favoritism (or LACK of)...

Back in the old days, receiving was completely separate from the grading room. I guess it's not like that anymore... 

On 8/22/2023 at 8:16 PM, JollyComics said:

I really missed old CGC service.

And old CCS service before CGC bought Classics… I remember several times being advised personally by Matt not to press a Golden Age book (too fragile) or to just not press a book, period, because it wouldn’t benefit.

Back then you felt like you had sent your books to be pressed and graded by someone that loved them as much as you did… now I’m not even convinced my Moderns are pressed half the time.

Edited by Iconic1s