• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weird Comics Nobody's Ever Heard Of
4 4

18 posts in this topic

On 8/24/2023 at 10:14 AM, Brock said:

Cool topic for a thread! I have one that I would add, though it's Bronze rather than modern...

Weird Worlds was a magazine published by Scholastic Books from 1978-1981. It ran 8 issues, and was mostly focused on pop culture in the SF/fantasy/horror space.

Weird Worlds #3 actually has a comic book story about a swamp monster ("The Return of the Swamp Beast") by a few industry newcomers. It's written by Bob and Jane Stine - that is, the now globally famous author R.L. Stine. And it's drawn by some kid named S.R. Bissette - the same Steven R. Bissette who went on to become one of the most popular Swamp Thing artists of all time.

I've always been surprised that this issue hasn't been more sought after by collectors...

That's a cool one! And you're right, it seems like it would be coveted by more Swamp Thing or even R.L. Stine fans. Thanks for sharing!

On 8/24/2023 at 12:43 PM, BuraddoRun said:

Show off some comics that you're pretty sure no one's heard of. Maybe they're underground books, or old books that didn't get much attention, or just crazy things you've never seen before until you saw them. Share your oddball titles here!

I found this one at Dollar General when I went hunting for Star Wars High Republic reprints (which I never found). They had a toy line that for cheapies are actually pretty cool, called Final Faction. Apparently there's a cartoon on YouTube as well. But this comic book was hanging by the toys in a bag and was only $1.25, so I picked up a couple. I read it and...yeah, it's super basic and not great. But it's still fun and feels like a story from the 90s geared toward kids, which of course it is, but it was made in 2022. Still a fun book to get. And even though it says on the back that Issue 2 is coming soon, I couldn't find it.

fact1.jpg

fact2.jpg

I've heard of this. It's a toy line at an American dollar store, so the toys are literally a dollar, which is insanely cheap for a toy these days. Dollar General or something like that? They're like GIJOE but obviously not as good for only a buck, but still an amazing value. My favourite review site reviews them. 

On 2/14/2024 at 1:04 AM, MattTheDuck said:

Here's one it's possible nobody else on the Boards has.  It was published by Dark Horse in response to a Statewide ballot measure having to do with defining "obscenity."  The book has two different covers (both of which had been published as actual comics previously) and the interior is completely blank aside from an argument against the ballot measure on the inside front cover and inside back cover.  "Lance Blastoff" cover is by Frank Miller and Lynn Varley, "Star Slammers" cover is by Walter Simonson.  I can't for the life of me remember where I got it.

Measure 31 Special Comic - Front.jpg

Measure 31 Special Comic - Back.jpg

Wow. I've never even heard of that before. What an absolutely unique piece. Dammit, Duck, that might have to go on my list of stuff to search for now... :roflmao:

@MattTheDuck This was from Oregon, I assume?

Edited by Qalyar

On 2/14/2024 at 3:03 PM, Qalyar said:

This was from Oregon, I assume?

Yes.  I can't find it listed anywhere (like MCS).  It's entirely possible this was in a box with some collection I picked up, but I didn't even log it in my spreadsheet, which means it might have been something I picked up around the time of that campaign.  Measure 31 was voted on in the November, 1996 general election.

On 2/14/2024 at 7:39 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Yes.  I can't find it listed anywhere (like MCS).  It's entirely possible this was in a box with some collection I picked up, but I didn't even log it in my spreadsheet, which means it might have been something I picked up around the time of that campaign.  Measure 31 was voted on in the November, 1996 general election.

Yeah, I've been trying to track down any info about this. It's a heck of a ghost. I did find one retailer using a copy of the book as a stock image for their listings of DHP 114 (naturally, they don't actually have Measure 31 copies), which at least suggests there are more of these out there.

Somewhere.

I have some friends who have been involved in liberal Oregon politics for years. 1996 was a long time back on the scale of such things, but I'll see if anyone remembers these from back in the day. 

On 2/14/2024 at 1:04 AM, MattTheDuck said:

Here's one it's possible nobody else on the Boards has.  It was published by Dark Horse in response to a Statewide ballot measure having to do with defining "obscenity."  The book has two different covers (both of which had been published as actual comics previously) and the interior is completely blank aside from an argument against the ballot measure on the inside front cover and inside back cover.  "Lance Blastoff" cover is by Frank Miller and Lynn Varley, "Star Slammers" cover is by Walter Simonson.  I can't for the life of me remember where I got it.

Measure 31 Special Comic - Front.jpg

Measure 31 Special Comic - Back.jpg

That's pretty interesting, and I'd definitely never heard of it before now. I'm gonna have to keep my eyes open for this one now.