• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your graded .5s!
1 1

50 posts in this topic

On 8/24/2023 at 10:12 AM, Robot Man said:

I really don’t get it. Why spend the money to have an obviously poor book graded? It’s obviously POOR. Poor is poor. Note the obvious if you must on the backing board and grade better books…(shrug)

Have you ever tried to sell a raw 0.5 big key? It’s much harder, at least for a non dealer to move than a blue label 0.5 with grader notes that explains exactly why it’s a 0.5 and most importantly that it is not restored because believe it or not 0.5 purple labels do exist and go for quite a bit less. 

On 8/24/2023 at 3:05 PM, Robot Man said:

Humm, maybe a simple page count at time of purchase would take away that problem. (shrug) But maybe all wrapped up in a pretty slab would be easier and cost everyone more money…

If they were in front of me at the time of purchase, that would make sense hm. But they weren't, and I didn't feel like purchasing plane tickets or driving to other states, and I doubt the sellers would have wanted to, either. That would cost a lot more money.

Edited by MR SigS

On 8/24/2023 at 11:01 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I struggle with that on books. I have a bunch of EC beaters that are likely 1.0 at best, and I don't want to bother grading them, but I resubbed my Venus 19 as a 1.8 that came back as a 1.0 (ouch :cry: and I even fast-tracked it) because I really wanted to have it up on the shelf with my other graded books.

Stop bleating and sell it to me...

:baiting:

On 8/24/2023 at 3:01 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I struggle with that on books. I have a bunch of EC beaters that are likely 1.0 at best, and I don't want to bother grading them, but I resubbed my Venus 19 as a 1.8 that came back as a 1.0 (ouch :cry: and I even fast-tracked it) because I really wanted to have it up on the shelf with my other graded books.

1.0-1.8 still very low grade and often not a lot of difference. The only time I buy books like that is if they are VERY rare or VERY cheap. And I have loads of them.

I would only spend the time and money to grade if the book was a higher demand higher grade book and have plans to sell it.

I just don’t get much enjoyment with a slab. I just don’t  have the storage space to store as many books as I have if slabbed. 

On 8/24/2023 at 4:31 PM, Robot Man said:

I just don’t get much enjoyment with a slab. I just don’t  have the storage space to store as many books as I have if slabbed. 

I can definitely see that - if you have a bunch of slabs, they have to be in different boxes, etc - and you can't file them with your unslabbed stuff. It's definitely not as fun to peruse a few slabs when you can flip through boxes of books in bags and boards.

On 8/24/2023 at 1:12 PM, Robot Man said:

I really don’t get it. Why spend the money to have an obviously poor book graded? It’s obviously POOR. Poor is poor. Note the obvious if you must on the backing board and grade better books…(shrug)

Not everyone can afford a nice grade of key books. In fact, most can’t even afford a .5. Maybe they want it graded to display or just to protect it.  Most likely it was graded when they bought it. I have a couple of .5’s and love them, but then again I’m not rich so I have low standards I guess.

On 8/24/2023 at 1:08 PM, MR SigS said:

You takes what you can gets. So fortunate to get the AF15 back in 2012 just before it became impossible.

dDbKeu1h.jpg

WtBUg2Oh.jpg

I actually love both of those. I would have no shame in owning either of them and the average person has never even held one or seen one in person.

On 8/25/2023 at 3:49 AM, CAHokie said:

Not everyone can afford a nice grade of key books. In fact, most can’t even afford a .5. Maybe they want it graded to display or just to protect it.  Most likely it was graded when they bought it. I have a couple of .5’s and love them, but then again I’m not rich so I have low standards I guess.

Me too. I have always loved them for what they are. As my collection progressed I started wanting better and more expensive books. Many books were so hard to find and expensive that I jumped on the first copy I could find with the intent to upgrade later. Many I have, but many I have never located one or at least one I could afford. I treasure all my books from coverless to Mile High copies. Having a low grade copy is better than not having it at all. I think the lowest grade slabbed book is maybe a 3.5 and only purchased because the price was so good I couldn’t pass up. I have easily cracked out more slabs than I currently own. Can’t help it. Just gotta enjoy the contents…

On 8/25/2023 at 4:38 AM, CAHokie said:

I actually love both of those. I would have no shame in owning either of them and the average person has never even held one or seen one in person.

Two killer issues. There should never be any shame in owning a book you love in any grade. I have a FF #1 but have never owned an AF #15. That despite, starting collecting in the dawn of SA Marvel. There were a couple kids in the neighborhood who had one but wouldn’t part with it. I have read it many times. I guess when I could have gotton it, it was very common and I spent my money on much scarcer GA books. I can live vicariously seeing all you other lucky fellow’s copies I guess. 

Edited by Robot Man

On 8/25/2023 at 11:50 AM, Yodarulz90 said:

IMG_20180307_104612_copy.jpg

" missing back cover" , "random page glued?" Did someone think they found the back cover and tried to reapply?

I've heard it being done but didn't know if it would help the grade...

On 8/25/2023 at 4:30 PM, The lips said:

Is a detached cover classed as incomplete ?? 

Not that I'm aware of, depending on condition of the rest of the book. I have several 2.5 with detached cover etc, and a few have been graded higher in grading contests. :cheers: