• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Remember the days when people paid huge money for old comic books?
2 2

232 posts in this topic

Comic ads from Billboard magazine from 3/14/42 & 3/21/42 respectively.

It might be worth taking a chance to pay $1.95 for a hundred comics (complete with covers!). Spending $19 for a thousand comics would be risky. Where would you store all that junk? Batman, Superman, Green Hornet are fine but who wants Mickey Finn?

billboard ad 3-14-42.jpg

billboard 3-21-42.jpg

On 9/3/2023 at 8:09 PM, Robot Man said:

This young lady probably overpaid for these too.

IMG_7230.jpeg

Cool thread. It was stories like this that fed my desire to collect. Think this fleshes out her story (at least I’m assu ming it’s her). 

https://m.sevendaysvt.com/vermont/origin-story-how-burlingtons-earth-prime-comics-helped-unite-vermonts-comics-lovers/Content?oid=35006000

On 9/3/2023 at 8:07 PM, Professor K said:

Love this stuff. I saw a picture once of Billy (Bill) Mumy, the actor, with some pretty good stuff. Found it. Well no Action or Sup 1's but maybe he had them as well. Probably got these cheap back in his Lost in Space days. Pic is from 1979 I believe.

1884817844_GoldenagegroupshotMumyfrom1989.jpg.02a7641ce20abc2ce38af18d742f7d43.jpg

I follow his Facebook ‘Bill’s Book of the Day’ posts - his collection is unreal.

On 9/3/2023 at 10:02 PM, fifties said:

Monster Times, May, 1972 article about EC comic prices.

Monster Times EC prices.jpg

I remember those outrageous prices. About that time, one could get down on their hands and knees and pick through just about any other PCH book raw in boxes under the tables for a buck or two each. I remember stacking up small piles in decent shape at those prices.