• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage 80s T Shirts Comic super heroes, Concerts, WWF etc. selling for thousands of dollars.
2 2

73 posts in this topic

On 9/19/2023 at 6:56 PM, Readcomix said:

Sold my concert shirts a few years too early, I guess. Looks like they just picked up a zero. At that time, the Iron Maiden shirt far outstripped all the others I had, price-wise., as I recall. I did keep my Grateful Dead shirt, which went to one of my daughters, who loves their music.

Yup. I sold all mine years ago and put the dough towards comic capital, but no regerts. My Iron Maiden Killers baseball jersey from the '81 tour with Paul Di'Anno where they opened for Judas Priest was the king of the hill. My shirts were all in very nice shape since I always washed them by hand and line dried them. Household and laundromat dryers kill silkscreens.

On 9/19/2023 at 6:03 PM, valiantman said:

I'm curious if this hobby has obvious ways to prevent counterfeiting?  Lots of retro shirts are printed, and many washes and artificial wear could easily make them look 40 years old. Does anyone know if there's a "reference guide" on how to identify originals?

You probably could, but you would have to fake the tags and stitching too...or use a blank vintage shirt. Newer shirts are double stich, a lot of vintage shirts are single stitch.

On 9/19/2023 at 7:53 PM, Pontoon said:

Yup. I sold all mine years ago and put the dough towards comic capital, but no regerts. My Iron Maiden Killers baseball jersey from the '81 tour with Paul Di'Anno where they opened for Judas Priest was the king of the hill. My shirts were all in very nice shape since I always washed them by hand and line dried them. Household and laundromat dryers kill silkscreens.

Mine was Piece of Mind tour. Not as well cared for as yours but still in nice shape.

I still have all my ticket stubs. My plan is make a collage and frame it.

On 9/19/2023 at 8:42 PM, Readcomix said:

Mine was Piece of Mind tour. Not as well cared for as yours but still in nice shape.

I still have all my ticket stubs. My plan is make a collage and frame it.

Had a sleeveless PoM shirt, too, and the previous year's Beast on the Road shirt. I also sold most of my stubs but still have a small amount left.

On 9/19/2023 at 9:07 PM, Pontoon said:

Had a sleeveless PoM shirt, too, and the previous year's Beast on the Road shirt. I also sold most of my stubs but still have a small amount left.

There’s a market for stubs too? I’m not surprised, just didn’t realize. The project will be too much fun to pass up. And a conversation piece. Of course, I’ve been talking about doing it for so long now that I can’t back out now. I have to keep saying I’ll do it, then continue to never get around to it! 

Thinned out my Phish posters and T-Shirts back in 2021 and was surprised at what I got for them.  It was enough that it made me hang on to one that I have never worn that I know is currently selling for a couple of hundred.   

I have been thinking of selling a couple of the Jimmy Buffett concert shirts I have.  My friends and I went to every Jones Beach show between 1997-2021. 

On 9/19/2023 at 9:16 PM, Readcomix said:

There’s a market for stubs too? I’m not surprised, just didn’t realize. The project will be too much fun to pass up. And a conversation piece. Of course, I’ve been talking about doing it for so long now that I can’t back out now. I have to keep saying I’ll do it, then continue to never get around to it! 

Big market for concerts and movie stubs. Not long ago I sold a pair of Zeppelin and Beatles stubs for $1000.

I still have KISS, an entire case of other concerts and pretty much any movie you can think of from the late 70s and 80s. I was offered stupid money for my original SW IV, V and VI stubs but keeping those for sure. 

On 9/19/2023 at 7:33 PM, Jayman said:

Pretty good! How do you like the Gold? I still have a reserve bottle of Blantons that I have not cracked yet. I’ve been enjoying my current favorite bourbon drink: The Hunter. Using a cheaper but pretty nice Woodford Reserve. Makes a tasty drink!IMG_1904.thumb.jpeg.466e5d1c122590d8e1b623e7f46bc5e9.jpeg

That looks absolutely splendid. I had to cut myself off as it's only Tuesday lol

I actually just recommended Woodford in a Water Cooler thread last week. Really really great. I have this vanilla bean that I"ll add a smidge of along with a pinch of cinnamon and hands down will beat any Old Fashioned. I'll have to PM you as I recall you have a super stacked bar (thumbsu

On 9/19/2023 at 5:47 PM, factory sealed said:

Good stuff!

Screenshot 2023-09-19 at 5.45.43 PM.png

Man, if mine hadn't been a total rag, I could have doubled my money! Oh well.

On 9/19/2023 at 8:21 PM, Chaz G. said:

Knew I shoulda kept my Depeche Mode t-shirts.

I kept all the ones I bought over the last 30 years...most are from the 90s and are basically unworn.  I also just gave my 1987 Pink Floyd original concert shirt I had (given to me by my uncle years ago) to a friend of mine that's a girl...she was very happy as she's a huge fan and I can't stand them ;)

On 9/19/2023 at 7:03 PM, valiantman said:

I'm curious if this hobby has obvious ways to prevent counterfeiting?  Lots of retro shirts are printed, and many washes and artificial wear could easily make them look 40 years old. Does anyone know if there's a "reference guide" on how to identify originals?

that's certainly the first thing that ran through my mind also.     

I had a nirvana concert t shirt circa 1992 ( guess I shouldn't have thrown it out) and the thing disintegrated pretty quickly (to Robotman's point - thin and cheap). 

Can't imagine its that hard to counterfeit something that cost nothing to make in the first place??

On 9/19/2023 at 6:16 PM, Readcomix said:

Oh, definitely yes. A lot of music and sports tickets and stubs bring good money. Do not damage them if you make a collage…

I wonder what my Avril Lavigne tour shirt is worth? It's a girls shirt.... that I bought.... and wore for FAR too long before someone pointed out to me it was for a girl. :facepalm:

On 9/20/2023 at 5:07 AM, oldmilwaukee6er said:

I live in the land of Goodwills and enjoy thrifting nice pieces of clothing vs fast fashion.  However, I just discovered a retro vintage shop nearby that specializes in 80s, 90s pop culture.  I've since bought some stuff and traded one shirt for store credit, including acquiring a 90s Vertigo Death t-shirt and a 90s retro Hendrix. Chances are they have your grail shirt, including mine - the allover B&W Jim Lee X-Men that I had in HS (now $500+). Really want to support this store! 

Screenshot_20230920_065202_Chrome.jpg.8c51ef14f0235a35fbe401442e17edb5.jpgScreenshot_20230920_065322_Chrome.jpg.ae70683f0817c4d4ad5fd7dc8a4128fc.jpgScreenshot_20230920_065254_Chrome.jpg.64095346714653f9af0ed31c14b2fb8a.jpgScreenshot_20230920_065225_Chrome.jpg.99a14a012768bb3287810b5bc1f1b1c7.jpg

Vintage clothes are HUGE in LA. There are countless shops like this and the flea markets are packed with them. I see tons of people going through clothes at estate and garage sales. A lot of younger folks mostly.