• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Fantastic Four #22 - The Grade is in
2 2

21 posts in this topic

On 9/20/2023 at 3:14 AM, zzutak said:

Nice colors.  (thumbsu  Was the oxidation halo present when you purchased the book, or did the tanning develop as a result of a poor 40-year storage environment?

No idea, book was bagged and boxed, most of my other books do not show this oxidation and have been stored in the same envoronment.

On 6/27/2024 at 5:20 PM, GawkHawk said:

Why would this get a Qualified grade?  That doesn't seem likely unless I'm missing something.

I'm no expert here - but my understanding is that a qualified grade identifies a significant defect (in this case the spine split) - and grades it as if that defect was not there. But the purple label/description identifies the defect while also containing the higher grade. 

On 6/27/2024 at 5:42 PM, NY Roadkill said:

I'm no expert here - but my understanding is that a qualified grade identifies a significant defect (in this case the spine split) - and grades it as if that defect was not there. But the purple label/description identifies the defect while also containing the higher grade. 

I'm far from an expert myself but I was under the impression that Qualified would apply for missing pieces, whether a Marvel Value Stamp, coupon or even entire pages.  I'm not sure a spine split would meet the criteria.  I could be wrong though...

It's not going to get a qualified grade for a spine split. 2c

On 6/27/2024 at 6:28 PM, GawkHawk said:

I'm far from an expert myself but I was under the impression that Qualified would apply for missing pieces, whether a Marvel Value Stamp, coupon or even entire pages.  I'm not sure a spine split would meet the criteria.  I could be wrong though...

On 6/27/2024 at 6:59 PM, grendelbo said:

It's not going to get a qualified grade for a spine split. 2c

I agree with these guys. 

Wasn't expecting this. 7.0 is great - I've owned this book for 40+ years, am not the original owner. Notes below - I can't see any color touch on the spine - no idea how to tell if it's there what the grader saw.

Grader Notes
crease left bottom of back cover
crease right bottom of front cover breaks color
crease right center of front cover breaks color
spine split bottom of spine
spine stress lines breaks color
tanning interior cover
small amount of color touch on center spine

image.thumb.jpeg.cae31ab02d54032b1cce54469eb190b9.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.6402b6207645ce914d18846163361e2a.jpeg

On 9/17/2024 at 12:50 PM, GawkHawk said:

The circled area looks a little suspect.  Maybe that's the color touch..?

IMG_2916.thumb.jpeg.ca7cad0df8bb15cf9914e4e4b762d44e.jpeg.2b91c11e2c9d6bd0adf975302a4a1c3c.jpeg

What do you see here/makes you see something? I'm looking at the book itself (in the slab at this point), and don't see anything different in that area from the rest of the cover - I am certainly no expert in detecting this stuff though.