• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What (if any) are the Holy Grails of the Atlas/Seaboard line?

26 posts in this topic

Disney might not like Phoenix.

The name, anyway.

With X-Men being on the way back.

Likewise The Scorpion for use in future Spider-Man movies, another clash there.

Edited by Ken Aldred

The fact no title lasted more than 4 issues is probably why they didn’t catch on back then. Hard to get invested in something that gets cancelled a few months in. They’re comic nerd obscurities as far as collectibles go - like the people who collect monkey covers or Archie comics with B&V in bikinis.

They’re fairly worthless as I’ve put together a good size run and paid $5 (or less) for each. Occasionally you find a dope on Mycomicshop or a IG sale asking $20 for one but nobody ever pays that. There’s no demand because your selling to a tiny tiny miniscule audience.

As for movies/tv, the comic boom is almost dead anyway. And we lived through it and didn’t get anything from Image or Valiant (except that one unwatchable Vin Diesel movie) and those universes were infinitely more popular and cohesive.  

On 9/25/2023 at 7:57 AM, Cman429 said:

As for movies/tv, the comic boom is almost dead anyway. And we lived through it and didn’t get anything from Image or Valiant (except that one unwatchable Vin Diesel movie) and those universes were infinitely more popular and cohesive.  

I’m with you on that - it’s a shame that the guys with Image properties just couldn’t get any momentum, but yeah: it seems that it’s nearing the end. I think it’ll be an established sub-genre of the Action or SciFi category, but the boom is over. Thanks, Disney!

On 9/25/2023 at 2:57 PM, Cman429 said:

They’re fairly worthless as I’ve put together a good size run and paid $5 (or less) for each. Occasionally you find a dope on Mycomicshop or a IG sale asking $20 for one but nobody ever pays that. There’s no demand because you’re selling to a tiny tiny miniscule audience.

Easy to find cheap over here in bargain boxes. Picked a few issues up in the early 2000s for 50p each, in very nice NM-ish condition.

On 9/25/2023 at 9:36 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Easy to find cheap over here in bargain boxes.

Here too, with the exception of Vicki.  Those issues seem to go for $15 to $30 each in decent condition, and even more $$$ in high grade.

On 9/25/2023 at 10:41 AM, Mutant Manatee said:

Here too, with the exception of Vicki.  Those issues seem to go for $15 to $30 each in decent condition, and even more $$$ in high grade.

This.

The Vickie run in grade and the two non-comic magazines would be their “grail” output. The rest can be found more easily. They are important/interesting as a brief, rebellious footnote in comics history, especially occurring before independents really got a toehold. It’s as much fun to read about them as it is to read them, but I doubt even a few good movies would yield a new set of significantly valued keys. History and fun, sure. Some potential upside, maybe as there’s nowhere else for them to go and they’re not getting newer, but definitely not a place I’d focus if I were being solely investment-minded about my purchases, 2c

On 9/25/2023 at 6:53 AM, Mutant Manatee said:

I don't think there are really any grails as far as the comic books.  Some of the magazines seem to be more scarce and therefore bring higher prices.

001_Devilina_600px.jpg

001_Gothic_Romances_600px.jpg

001_My_Secret_600px.png

001_Weird_Tales_of_the_Macabre_600px.jpg

002_Devilina_600px.jpg

002_My_Secret_600px.png

002_Weird_Tales_of_the_Macabre_600px.jpg

I feel like I've already seen quite a few movies based on stories from My Secret.

I have I think all the issue 1s of Atlas comics including Vickie which I think can be challenging in grade.

I didn't know about the magazines and the My Secret, I'm half expecting a cover blurb mentioning a story involving Elvis and UFO's 

On 9/25/2023 at 6:53 AM, Mutant Manatee said:

I don't think there are really any grails as far as the comic books.  Some of the magazines seem to be more scarce and therefore bring higher prices.

001_Devilina_600px.jpg

001_Gothic_Romances_600px.jpg

001_My_Secret_600px.png

001_Weird_Tales_of_the_Macabre_600px.jpg

002_Devilina_600px.jpg

002_My_Secret_600px.png

002_Weird_Tales_of_the_Macabre_600px.jpg

There are no grails here. There are topics of interest based on niche collecting preferences. The widest appeal would seem like Hellrider #1 being it is a prototype of GhostRider but honestly no one seems to care. Good mags with some eye appeal that only niche collectors will chase.

Edited by RedRaven
Hellrider was Skywald not Atlas

If you want Vicki #1 in beautiful 9.2 High Grade (tongue in cheek), here's your chance. Only $150!!!

How does a seller with such horrible grading skills have so many sales with 100% feedback???

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234797793280?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=aEVR7yHaQuC&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=2XNeHPRbR1K&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Edited by Motor City Rob

On 9/25/2023 at 12:27 PM, Motor City Rob said:

If you want Vicki #1 in beautiful 9.2 High Grade (tongue in cheek), here's your chance. Only $150!!!

How does a seller with such horrible grading skills have so many sales with 100% feedback???

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234797793280?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=aEVR7yHaQuC&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=2XNeHPRbR1K&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

That comic is allot of things,  but a 9.2 isn't one of them. 

And the seller has 100% feedback. 

On 9/25/2023 at 12:44 PM, KCOComics said:

That comic is allot of things,  but a 9.2 isn't one of them. 

And the seller has 100% feedback. 

I messaged asking if the listing was a mistake because the book didnt look like a 9.2, and they got extremely offended. Then asked if I was a professional grader. I always love that response. 

Edited by Motor City Rob

On 9/25/2023 at 11:56 AM, Motor City Rob said:

I messaged asking if the listing was a mistake because the book didnt look like a 9.2, and they got extremely offended. Then asked if I was a professional grader. I always love that response. 

Please take your comment to

Show them how they overgraded and overpriced the crumbled book.