• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Nov 16-19 Signature Auction
5 5

472 posts in this topic

On 11/17/2023 at 10:02 AM, tth2 said:

I just noticed that the Corben page from Voice of Comicdom #17 is currently sitting at $31,200.  That seems really high for a page which quite frankly doesn't do much for me, and is much higher than I've seen for any of his other panel pages.

Perfect era for Corben. This page is filled with classic Corben faces, poses, musculature and was from an era that must have been pre-marker use because the ink lines are perfect. 

On 11/18/2023 at 12:17 AM, batman_fan said:
On 11/18/2023 at 12:02 AM, tth2 said:

I just noticed that the Corben page from Voice of Comicdom #17 is currently sitting at $31,200.  That seems really high for a page which quite frankly doesn't do much for me, and is much higher than I've seen for any of his other panel pages.

I just saw that page :sick:

$55,200!  Wow.  That's got to be a record for a Corben panel page.  Anyone know why this particular page is so coveted? 

On 11/18/2023 at 1:13 AM, Bronty said:

Corben stuff has seemed strong lately.   I love his covers and I'm glad to see his work doing well.  

I had the same initial reaction to this page, but when I actually zoom in on the HA image, most of the panels really present quite well.

If it still isn't to your taste, 1971 undergrounds may not be for you in general?    I think its really pretty neat.    I wouldn't pay 30k for it, but its neat.

I really like Corben, but this page doesn't even look that Corben-esque.

On 11/17/2023 at 11:03 AM, delekkerste said:

Well, sure, but, the early art has been what it is for more than half a century - did everyone just suddenly wake up and realize that it wasn't necessarily all that? More likely is that there's just been a change in tastes (fantasy vs. superhero, '70s-era styles vs. mid-80s to the present modern looks) among the collector base. 

For those of us whose first exposure to BWS was his slick Weapon X or Uncanny issues, his early Conan art looks really, really amateurish -- and downright terrible next to prime John Buscema Conan (pick your fav inker). 

On 11/17/2023 at 12:22 PM, tth2 said:

Look at the faces of the creatures....it could ONLY be Corben. 

On 11/18/2023 at 2:26 AM, comix4fun said:
On 11/18/2023 at 2:22 AM, tth2 said:

Look at the faces of the creatures....it could ONLY be Corben. 

Yeah, but there's none of Corben's unique depth/3D-ness.  Anyways, it appears that others considered this to be a highly desirable piece.  

On 11/17/2023 at 12:34 PM, tth2 said:

Yeah, but there's none of Corben's unique depth/3D-ness.  Anyways, it appears that others considered this to be a highly desirable piece.  

I mean, I want other stuff in a Corben page too, but I see where people starved for a quality, inked and not markered, Corben are freaking out over this. Really nice period for him and every panel has something that screams Corben. The textures, the exaggerated features, the eyes.....and that last panel the posing, the shoulders on the creature, the way he muscles the arms....it's all so Corben

On 11/17/2023 at 12:42 PM, batman_fan said:

Hal Foster Tarzan Sunday from 1932 at less than $20k seems light

It had to be the detail level. Comparing it to other Foster's they've auctioned before it was short on a real depth of inks and backgrounds. 

I agree with you, batman_fan, that Joe Kubert Weird Wars cover finished pretty strong. I saw that cover in person, and it is a beauty.  Congrats to the buyer and seller.  I was a bit surprised at Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine #3 cover by Adam, it was inked over blue line.  $10,200 seems really strong.

Edited by Wolvie_Fan