• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Nov 16-19 Signature Auction
5 5

472 posts in this topic

On 11/19/2023 at 3:18 PM, Brian Peck said:

I am really surprised by Pablo Marcos Vampirella #80 panel page 2 sold for $4200

I love Pablo Vampirella but that is alot for a panel page of his. What do you think Gene since you used to be the Vampire market? 

image.thumb.png.fa5d337c8fb1e4eff7bd103b37b0a818.png

That is classic girl-under-glass sci-fi content. I think babe tax came into play even more than the average Vampi page.

On 11/19/2023 at 5:30 PM, KirbyCollector said:

Surprised it is crickets in here... maybe some buyer fatigue after all? 

I think it’s a lack of interesting art in today’s session.  Heritage really padded out this auction with a lot of low-end art and they were still 150 lots short of what they had in last November’s auction.  Sellers seem to be holding out and hoping for a stronger market to sell in.

Surprised the Harrison Cady Peter Rabbit cover went for $5K. Does anyone today even know the title or artist?  You can get ink wash Burgess Bedtime Stories book illustrations for less.

image.jpeg.a31e064b9dde2b15464fc077af388fed.jpeg 

Edited by Monkeyman

On 11/19/2023 at 4:30 PM, KirbyCollector said:

Surprised it is crickets in here... maybe some buyer fatigue after all? 

Seemed like this auction fell into line with expectations for the lots that I am somewhat knowledgeable on. A few years ago that wouldn’t have been the case, seems like we are settling into a more predictable market, maybe that cuts down on the chit chat… the talk of the auction was the Liefeld Cap cover, as it should have been.

Always fun to hear the auction talk, maybe the next one will shake out more stellar pieces, this was definitely a sub par auction for Heritage. 

On 11/19/2023 at 7:25 PM, Monkeyman said:

Surprised the Harrison Cady Peter Rabbit cover went for $5K. Does anyone today even know the title or artist?  You can get ink wash Burgess Bedtime Stories book illustrations for less.

image.jpeg.a31e064b9dde2b15464fc077af388fed.jpeg 

Granted, the price was a bit unexpected, but this is a cover for a Peter Rabbit comic from 1946, by Harrison Cady.

You might be cable to get Cady originals for less, but anything with Peter Rabbit brings a premium price.

On 11/19/2023 at 5:53 PM, gumbydarnit said:

Always fun to hear the auction talk, maybe the next one will shake out more stellar pieces, this was definitely a sub par auction for Heritage. 

I think the auction was actually quite decent. We saw a TOS39 page hit $336k, which I believe is a new record. Additionally the McFarlane Spidey 11 page broke beyond its recent sales price as did the Bagley ASM 374 page. Miller DK promo hit $210k. The Jim Lee section was bananas in terms of price. Overall, I believe the prices were very 💪

On 11/19/2023 at 10:06 PM, Xatari said:

I think the auction was actually quite decent. We saw a TOS39 page hit $336k, which I believe is a new record. Additionally the McFarlane Spidey 11 page broke beyond its recent sales price as did the Bagley ASM 374 page. Miller DK promo hit $210k. The Jim Lee section was bananas in terms of price. Overall, I believe the prices were very 💪

I happened to be at my desk at the start of the live portion, and the Groo art seemed to get a lot of action. I don't know if those prices were up or down, but lots of people bidding. The Deathblow cover was cool to ring up that high, I was surprised at the Devine Right cover. Wasn't sure what it would go for, because I'm not familiar with the title - but I'm guessing that factors were: from the personal collection of Jim Lee (didn't they all start out that way?), it's got Scott Williams inks, pre-2000 and Caitlyn Fairchild on the cover may have helped a little.

They must have unearthed a Power Pack cover collection, I was surprised at how many were there. 

I was eyeballing the Joe Chiodo piece, which springboarded from $700 to $3000 almost immediately upon opening for bids, slowed down and then hammered at like $4200. Went for about 35% more than the last Chiodo girly cover painting of the same era, so it blew my top end bid out of the water. That was pretty much the only thing I was bidding on. I hilariously thought if I could *steal* that Chiodo, I'd take a run at the Fastner and Larson painting - but that was just a Thanksgiving wet dream. There was not much in my collecting focus on this auction, but it seemed like there was a lot of action.

On 11/19/2023 at 10:16 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I am shocked it sold for more than $250, regardless of how incredibly popular Invincible is, or how monumental the "toilet" story is, or how rare these pages are.

I'd say that you can probably buy the original artwork from those airline instruction sheets and get the same level of quality illustration and visual excitement for far less than $15k. 

20140817_075836_sq-cd0f32bf50a2b8776f1a3356d86796bae518a0ee.thumb.jpg.b5179fb8c0333f24cdbbc2423d598382.jpg

“Visual excitement”? Must be a number of high-rolling coprophiliacs out there.

On 11/19/2023 at 10:16 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I am shocked it sold for more than $250, regardless of how incredibly popular Invincible is, or how monumental the "toilet" story is, or how rare these pages are.

I'd say that you can probably buy the original artwork from those airline instruction sheets and get the same level of quality illustration and visual excitement for far less than $15k. 

20140817_075836_sq-cd0f32bf50a2b8776f1a3356d86796bae518a0ee.thumb.jpg.b5179fb8c0333f24cdbbc2423d598382.jpg

“Visual excitement”? Must be a number of high-rolling coprophiliacs out there.

On 11/20/2023 at 5:09 AM, KirbyCollector said:

1st time HA consignor, got this email today:

Once the auction is fully reconciled on January 3rd, we will mail you a final settlement statement, along with final prices realized and your payment.

January 3?!? WTF... CLink pays quicker than that.

If you take $1M (for example) in auction funds that you tie up for 6 weeks and plug it into a 4 week T-Bill, that's $50k in interest (assuming a 2 week window for funds to arrive). I don't know how Heritage invests it's funds, but that's a super simple option to execute in that timeframe. These places love leeching off someone elses' money. I'd do the same in a hot minute if I was holding onto money that wasn't mine and could dictate when I get to give it back.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 11/20/2023 at 7:09 AM, KirbyCollector said:

Once the auction is fully reconciled on January 3rd, we will mail you a final settlement statement, along with final prices realized and your payment.

Yes, clink terms are 30 days for settlement, whereas HA’s are 45 days

On 11/20/2023 at 7:16 AM, Dr. Balls said:

If you take $1M (for example) in auction funds that you tie up for 6 weeks and plug it into a 4 week T-Bill, that's $50k in interest (assuming a 2 week window for funds to arrive). I don't know how Heritage invests it's funds, but that's a super simple option to execute in that timeframe. These places love leeching off someone elses' money. I'd do the same in a hot minute if I was holding onto money that wasn't mine and could dictate when I get to give it back.

No to be that guy, but to earn 5% interest in 4 weeks you need a 60% bill rate.  

You’d earn more like 5%, if that’s your rate, x4/52

On 11/20/2023 at 7:25 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Yes, clink terms are 30 days for settlement, whereas HA’s are 45 days

I dont love 45 days but it was worth it to consign the art to HA; that's where the most likely bidders were (it was an older piece, but another had done well there over the past year), and the hammer proved I was right. I can't complain about success, I guess.

On 11/20/2023 at 8:16 PM, Dr. Balls said:

If you take $1M (for example) in auction funds that you tie up for 6 weeks and plug it into a 4 week T-Bill, that's $50k in interest

$50k of interest from $1m of principal for 4 weeks would translate to $600k over a year.  You're confusing the annualized yield of a 4 week T-bill with what you'd actually get for a 4-week period, which assuming a 5% annualized yield on $1m would mean only $4166 for 4 weeks (rough calculation).  

But no doubt that Heritage benefit from the float, particularly in the current interest rate environment.  

Edited by tth2

On 11/20/2023 at 5:09 AM, KirbyCollector said:

It says 45 days in the contract you signed.