• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If CGC 9.6 isn't worth grading...
2 2

53 posts in this topic

IMHO any comic that requires a 9.8 to be worth more than slabbing costs is not worth slabbing to begin with.  Of course about 1/4 of the books I personally submitted fall into that category :) ,   yep those books are meaningless as the hobby goes but not to me. Then factor in my DC Digest collection:bigsmile:....

Edited by MAR1979

On 10/5/2023 at 4:14 PM, MAR1979 said:

IMHO any comic that requires a 9.8 to be worth more than slabbing costs is not worth slabbing to begin with.  Of course about 1/4 of the books I personally submitted fall into that category :) ,   yep those books are meaningless as the hobby goes but not to me. Then factor in my DC Digest collection:bigsmile:....

Spoiler

That's were I'm at, I didn't take it as derogatory to have bought and submitted "worthless" stuff. With generalities and etc, I understand the perception when gleaming like in a mirror the big picture.

One thing is, some of the stuff like that I've found, were still either good deals at the time or just didn't see me upgrading at said price point, and or yadda yadda!

That perception is askew from others, but that has so many other details for another time.

I love the question of "why? Huff huff" :banana: 

That isn't judgemental as I've felt that exact exasperation! Even sometimes by the stuff I've bought before or after initial joy. :ohnoez:

That's saying a lot that only similar experiences can attest!!  :insane: The only real test and reasoning is at least we don't try to sell them lol 

Eventually but a good excuse as any for now haha

seinfeld-about-nothing.gif

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 10/5/2023 at 7:44 PM, MultiSig Mike said:

I think anything this century should be 9.8 w/ WP (or better). 1990's and older then a grade of 9.6 is fine 2c

I mostly agree on pre 1990, but glut era books with high 9.8 populations, 9.6's at least to me are meaningless and worthless.

Edited by MAR1979

On 10/5/2023 at 7:19 PM, MAR1979 said:

I mostly agree on pre 1990, but glut era books with high 9.8 populations, 9.6's at least to me are meaningless and worthless.

Difference is that even on your "digest books?" You've still hit 9,8 on most.

I, unfortunately, cannot say the same. :sorry:

On 10/5/2023 at 1:50 PM, Beastfeast said:
On 10/5/2023 at 12:59 PM, lou_fine said:

Yes, but sadly, istn't that CGC's bread and butter to try to convince you to submit books in for grading (and for pressing if you are overdosing on their juice) that are otherwise basically worthless?  hm

I don’t think they tried to convince everybody. It’s seems more like low information people saw slabs selling higher than their raw books and assumed getting something grading increased the value - not figuring the why the value was increased. 

Have you forgotten those side by side ads they used to place in the trade publications when they first started up whereby they would show how much a raw copy of a particlular book sold for and then how much a graded copy of the exact same book sold for?  :gossip:

I remember one particular example being a nice raw copy of Shadow Comics 1 which they listed as selling for something like $10 and then right next to it, a graded copy selling for $2,500.  All I can say is I wonder how the buyer is feeeling today about his $2,500 purchase now that there are something like 184 copies in CGC 9.8 with another 280 copies in CGC 9.6 knocking right on its door and still counting.  :fear: :tonofbricks:

I’ve never really collected slabbed books for the sake of the slab itself, which is really what this is at the core.  I was at a comic drek sale today ( 50 cents each or a long box for $100 ), and I noticed they had about 40 copies of X-men 281.  They were all nice copies, so I picked out a few and thru them in my box for old times sake, since it was one of the first books I speculated on right before the 90s crash.

People will buy that book in 9.8 for say $60, but no one is interested in it unslabbed for 3/$1.  I imagine that someone with a good eye could pick a 9.8 candidate out of a stack like that and make a little money.

Me, I’m going to stack the ones I bought in my comic book room until I retire. Then I will start selling at local conventions and someone will hopefully pull them out of my dollar box. :)

On 10/6/2023 at 3:34 PM, Hamlet said:

I’ve never really collected slabbed books for the sake of the slab itself, which is really what this is at the core.  I was at a comic drek sale today ( 50 cents each or a long box for $100 ), and I noticed they had about 40 copies of X-men 281.  They were all nice copies, so I picked out a few and thru them in my box for old times sake, since it was one of the first books I speculated on right before the 90s crash.

People will buy that book in 9.8 for say $60, but no one is interested in it unslabbed for 3/$1.  I imagine that someone with a good eye could pick a 9.8 candidate out of a stack like that and make a little money.

Me, I’m going to stack the ones I bought in my comic book room until I retire. Then I will start selling at local conventions and someone will hopefully pull them out of my dollar box. :)

Agreed. I do find tremendous value in 9.6 slabs specifically from 80s and 90s genre as they can be had for a pittance especially if you can get them in bulk. I have a ton of Supes 9.6 slabs that I got on the cheap purchasing in a couple of large lots. Anything I have in BA is mostly NM raw; anything SA or older mid grade raw.  

On 10/3/2023 at 3:13 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I could have swore this would have pegged a 9.8, which is why I sent it in. Not a bend, tick, fingernail impression, blunted corner - nothing :

Dazzler33CGCFRONT.jpg.4097db53d1c422079680c149f23ebd98.jpg

Last 9.8 sale: $22

That makes my 9.6 worthless in every sense of the word. $35 or whatever to grade, shipping costs, the cost of the book to begin with ($10) and initial shipping ($6). :frustrated: I just wanted this as a 9.8 on my bookshelf, because I felt a 9.6 was pretty much worthless. Irony.

When Taylor Swift turns into Zombie Dazzler and starts dancing in Deadpool 3 you will be a very rich man.

Note: I just made this up so do not quit your day job. 

Edited by Juno Beach
add

On 10/6/2023 at 8:10 PM, Juno Beach said:

When Taylor Swift turns into Zombie Dazzler and starts dancing in Deadpool 3 you will be a very rich man.

Note: I just made this up so do not quit your day job. 

That is a banger of an idea for her next album cover!

On 10/6/2023 at 12:34 PM, Hamlet said:

I imagine the opposite scenario to this is bidders willing to pay more for raw restored low grade beaters as opposed to paying more for them when they are graded and slabbed.  hm