• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If CGC 9.6 isn't worth grading...
2 2

53 posts in this topic

I recently won a Flash Gordon 34 (1981) Western Publishing in CGC 9.6 for a few dollars.  Shipping was the main expense.  A loss for the seller on this one.

There are plenty of examples of 9.6's doing quite well though.

(shrug)

On 10/3/2023 at 2:15 PM, Happy Noodle Boy said:

I see dealers on youtube talking about how certain books need to be graded at 9.8 to have any value. But I think any book that only has value as a graded 9.8 has no actual value at all.

Exactly the point of this topic. ^^

I could have swore this would have pegged a 9.8, which is why I sent it in. Not a bend, tick, fingernail impression, blunted corner - nothing :

Dazzler33CGCFRONT.jpg.4097db53d1c422079680c149f23ebd98.jpg

Last 9.8 sale: $22

That makes my 9.6 worthless in every sense of the word. $35 or whatever to grade, shipping costs, the cost of the book to begin with ($10) and initial shipping ($6). :frustrated: I just wanted this as a 9.8 on my bookshelf, because I felt a 9.6 was pretty much worthless. Irony.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 10/3/2023 at 6:13 PM, Dr. Balls said:

That makes my 9.6 worthless in every sense of the word. $35 or whatever to grade, shipping costs, the cost of the book to begin with ($10) and initial shipping ($6). :frustrated: I just wanted this as a 9.8 on my bookshelf, because I felt a 9.6 was pretty much worthless. Irony.

Edited by stock_rotation

On 10/3/2023 at 5:39 PM, valiantman said:

If a book isn't worth slabbing in CGC 9.6 (or lower), it isn't worth slabbing at all, because it is a meaningless book.  At least 2,200,000 slabs fit this description.

So, that's what? about 20% of all submissions ever?

CGC loves it...

-bc

On 10/3/2023 at 6:32 PM, bluehorseshoe said:
On 10/3/2023 at 1:37 PM, valiantman said:

I don't see any examples of books that aren't meaningless in these replies. :whistle:

In the 2 replies that were posted when you wrote this

... or any since.

On 10/3/2023 at 7:07 PM, valiantman said:
On 10/3/2023 at 6:32 PM, bluehorseshoe said:
On 10/3/2023 at 1:37 PM, valiantman said:

I don't see any examples of books that aren't meaningless in these replies. :whistle:

In the 2 replies that were posted when you wrote this

... or any since.

Tbh I think that is because no one aims to "change your mind" per the "first post meme!  ^^

This is a problem of CGC's own making and how they marketed the product (graded books); obviously random moderns in 9.6 are going to be low/no value but that doesn't apply to all books. A nice 9.6 can be an amazing cost effective way to pick up a key book, personally I've had my eye on picking up another ASM #194 and the difference in 0.2 of a grade is significant.

Also I believe CGC is trying to adjust market perception on this subject. I do not have more than bias to back this up but on their advertisements (FB, tiktok, twitter) there has been an effort to showcase 9.6 and 9.4 graded books as opposed to only 9.8 and 9.9 books. It looks like this change happened sometime last year doing a quick look at the posts.

People have the spirit of the thread.

Spoiler

But it is more to the point. Is it worth slabbing and come back in 9,6? Check Yay or Nay.

If not don't slab it at all, because he's stating the there are 2 mill that are worthless in 9.6, even though 9,8 be more, and he's saying if that is the case and not worth it it 9.6 at a minimum then the book is worthless.

I doubt very seriously that anyone if going to say anything except moders aren't worth it in 9.6. That's the point  :makepoint:

There are millions of them, not worth the price to slab if 9,6, therefore there are 2 mil minimum meaningless slabs lol

Most copper and older even in 9.6 are "worth it" or at least more than the cost to slab; therefore, "if it isn't worth it in 9,6, it is meaningless!"

I think that is plain enough. :cheers:

On 10/3/2023 at 6:41 PM, MattTheDuck said:

I'm not sure I understand the question (which, of course, is a "me" problem).  However, this book wouldn't grade 9.6 and is most certainly not meaningless.  It even showed up in a movie!

See below:

On 10/3/2023 at 12:15 PM, Happy Noodle Boy said:

... I think any book that only has value as a graded 9.8 has no actual value at all.

(thumbsu

There were more posts that understood than not, I can say myself "say", having never been a stickler for 9,8, "that" unfortunately that has caused me to have books come back even lower than 9,6 lol

So bare that in mind.

9.0 8.5 9.4 lol

:Rocket::ohnoez:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
"Say that"

On 10/3/2023 at 10:07 PM, DougC said:

This is a problem of CGC's own making and how they marketed the product (graded books); obviously random moderns in 9.6 are going to be low/no value but that doesn't apply to all books. A nice 9.6 can be an amazing cost effective way to pick up a key book, personally I've had my eye on picking up another ASM #194 and the difference in 0.2 of a grade is significant.

Also I believe CGC is trying to adjust market perception on this subject. I do not have more than bias to back this up but on their advertisements (FB, tiktok, twitter) there has been an effort to showcase 9.6 and 9.4 graded books as opposed to only 9.8 and 9.9 books. It looks like this change happened sometime last year doing a quick look at the posts.

People are starting to catch on that 9.6 is the new 9.8. In theory this should prop 9.8s up and further push 9.6 down. This applies mainly to modern books. The issue is it seems so manufactured when a 9.6 oftentimes will not have any grader notes to justify the 9.6 and looks the exact same as another 9.8 of the same book. This has also been happening in the card grading space. 

What it doe is creates more submissions or possible re-subs via a press and re-grade. Personally I would send an expensive 9.6 back as I have gone 2/2 in press and regrade to 9.8. Once again this is also something that happens with cards via crack and re-sub. It’s actually a very smart strategic play.