• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seeking advice USPS lost insured FF 48
3 3

18 posts in this topic

I will try to keep this on point but I am so incredibly frustrated right now. Several weeks back I won an EBay auction for a high grade FF48 and the purchase price was a little over 3k. It arrived in the condition as listed and I knew that I wanted to immediately turn around and send to CGC. I went to my local post office and shipped the book registered and purchased 3k insurance. the book should have arrived at CGC yesterday but my tracking still shows it is at my local post office. 

Upon seeing the package still hasn’t moved I became concerned and called the 1800 number and they said they were opening a case to figure out what was going on. I then went to my post office to see if maybe someone could put hands on it and at least alleviate my concerns. I saw the gentleman that took my package last week and he recognized me and remembered the value of my package and what was in it because he asked me when I shipped. I told him the situation and he said he remembered scanning but agreed it should have shown updates. Apparently the manager was already looking into it and they are not sure what happened to it. Then before I left the gentleman that processed my shipment last week said oh by the way you forgot to take your registered mail receipt. This was my very first shipment of a valuable item and at the time I paid for the service I didn’t even know there was such a receipt that I also needed to fill out. What is odd is he filled it out for me so I am not sure how I forgot to take something I didn’t even fill out. This of course starts making me a bit paranoid and worried someone took the package.

I have tried researching filing an insurance claim but worried I am going to get hassled if I have to file. I can clearly print out my comic book purchase invoice from eBay but is that all I am going to need? I guess what I am worried about is they will question if that is what o sent CGC as all I can show on that end is my purchase of the heading and restoration screening. I also likely overpaid for the book so my purchase price and the true value based on whatever the grade could have been could be up for debate. Sorry for the rant but I’m so frazzled right now and this makes me not want to ever try to submit a book again. Appreciate any helpful advice especially if you ever dealt with this. Thank you 

All I can say I know is that registered mail takes longer and has fewer updates. So I'd not be too worried yet, but good on you for doing diligence for the unknown... etc

Surely you took some kind of receipt at the post office? Usually they hand you something.

If the manager and guy witness remembering, maybe then you could have got it again in writing while there? A receipt? Surprised that's how they left it. Scratching my head.

You need a receipt of some kind for the tracking number, but I know you're probably stressed.

Just these things I'm sure have conclusions, that I can't see it being denied "IF LOST", other than to say registered mail takes longer and with much fewer updates. It should turn out, but due diligence is the right track!

On 10/3/2023 at 7:02 PM, Bcramer535 said:

I will try to keep this on point but I am so incredibly frustrated right now. Several weeks back I won an EBay auction for a high grade FF48 and the purchase price was a little over 3k. It arrived in the condition as listed and I knew that I wanted to immediately turn around and send to CGC. I went to my local post office and shipped the book registered and purchased 3k insurance. the book should have arrived at CGC yesterday but my tracking still shows it is at my local post office. 

Upon seeing the package still hasn’t moved I became concerned and called the 1800 number and they said they were opening a case to figure out what was going on. I then went to my post office to see if maybe someone could put hands on it and at least alleviate my concerns. I saw the gentleman that took my package last week and he recognized me and remembered the value of my package and what was in it because he asked me when I shipped. I told him the situation and he said he remembered scanning but agreed it should have shown updates. Apparently the manager was already looking into it and they are not sure what happened to it. Then before I left the gentleman that processed my shipment last week said oh by the way you forgot to take your registered mail receipt. This was my very first shipment of a valuable item and at the time I paid for the service I didn’t even know there was such a receipt that I also needed to fill out. What is odd is he filled it out for me so I am not sure how I forgot to take something I didn’t even fill out. This of course starts making me a bit paranoid and worried someone took the package.

I have tried researching filing an insurance claim but worried I am going to get hassled if I have to file. I can clearly print out my comic book purchase invoice from eBay but is that all I am going to need? I guess what I am worried about is they will question if that is what o sent CGC as all I can show on that end is my purchase of the heading and restoration screening. I also likely overpaid for the book so my purchase price and the true value based on whatever the grade could have been could be up for debate. Sorry for the rant but I’m so frazzled right now and this makes me not want to ever try to submit a book again. Appreciate any helpful advice especially if you ever dealt with this. Thank you 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

"should have arrived at CGC yesterday"

With Registered, there is no accurate arrival date. It goes at its own rate due to being handled under lock and key. It is notoriously slooooow. And there are few updates to tracking. More often than not, no updates at all. Odds are high that it will get there. It's too early to be thinking claims.

On 10/3/2023 at 8:02 PM, Bcramer535 said:

he book should have arrived at CGC yesterday but my tracking still shows it is at my local post office.

I have sent multiple items by registered mail this year and they all took longer than the original expected date, most by 2-5 business days.  One took a lot longer than that.  Only one arrived a day later than expected.  But i prefer the peace of mind, so all good. 

Edited by Pantodude

If you go online and read about Registered Mail at the USPS site, they frequently mention the expected slow travel and lack of scans, so you are prepared for that. That's why you can't send it Registered as Express. They're not going to be able to guarantee the delivery date - not at all.

I'm not surprised that the clerk, manager, nor customer service are aware of this. In general, postal employees are not educated in these specialty services, certainly unaware of what is published on their own site. As a professional shipper, I have to frequently correct their misconceptions. Very sad.

On 10/3/2023 at 6:02 PM, Bcramer535 said:

Try to relax.  Give this some time.  Registered mail has to be signed for and scanned as it moves and it's slow.  It's rare that anything disappears or is stolen and it's much more likely it's just slowly working through the postal system.  

If there is a problem you've insured it.  I don't believe they care where you bought it or what you paid, they would use the insured value for the claim.

Please update us when you can.

Edited by thehumantorch

Insurance can be collected from USPS but you have to provide a receipt for what the item cost you. You can't insure for what you sold it for, only what you paid. I've had Registered USPS that I shipped to Florida, go to Puerto Rico first ... for DAYS. A friend who worked for USPS told me that Registered was the best way to go if you actually expect an Insurance settlement. They're notorious for fighting settlements, despite that you paid for it. I've only had USPS lose 3 packages in the 50 years that I've used them. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

On 10/3/2023 at 11:40 PM, jimjum12 said:

Insurance can be collected from USPS but you have to provide a receipt for what the item cost you.

This is correct.

If you over-insure it, they will only pay the actual value, which you have to substantiate with a receipt or appraisal. 

If you under-insure, they only have to pay up to the insured amount.

Give it some time and also relax in knowing that the chain of custody shows that USPS had it in their possession.  This is not a case where a label was generated and you had them pick up the parcel.  You physically dropped it off and it shows that they had possession of it.   At that point they have custody and assume some form of liability.  

You have the receipts for the book.  You have the insurance.

At this point at the worse case scenario, you would be out the time spent in all of this, the mailing fees to cgc, and the book, but you should see reimbursement for the insured price with a printout of the auction and printout from your banking institution or linked credit card that shows the funds were actually paid matching the bill of sale on eBay

On 10/6/2023 at 6:44 AM, Bcramer535 said:

Just a quick update- Thank you to everyone for your replies which prompted me to dig in a bit more. Indeed, registered mail does not update as normal priority mail would and I have finally received confirmation the package in in the post office in FL. Lesson learned for me to be a bit more patient and to make sure I understand exactly how the delivery process works in this scenario. Super excited now to see how my book turns out! Thank you all

Don’t beat yourself up too bad - I’d have probably hit the panic button, too. Now I know registered takes longer and has fewer updates.

Yes, Registered tracking is like "Scanned/Accepted ----5 days goes by of silence and no updates-------"Arrived in FL"  Registered packages, someone needs to sign for it, every time someone touches it and it's get locked in a cage at every stop.  It's slow and it sucks but it's the most secure, unless you're sending something to Heritage in TX, then it gets stolen  haha  

On 10/6/2023 at 7:44 AM, Bcramer535 said:

Just a quick update- Thank you to everyone for your replies which prompted me to dig in a bit more. Indeed, registered mail does not update as normal priority mail would and I have finally received confirmation the package in in the post office in FL. Lesson learned for me to be a bit more patient and to make sure I understand exactly how the delivery process works in this scenario. Super excited now to see how my book turns out! Thank you all

Ok, let us know that your book arrives safe.