• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC no longer uses micro chamber paper...correct?
7 7

78 posts in this topic

On 10/17/2023 at 9:15 AM, lostboys said:

Asking because I cracked 25 AMS slabs last night and not one single book had any.

The few books I've cracked out had none.  (shrug)

On 10/17/2023 at 11:40 AM, lostboys said:

Maybe they only use it for older books?

The ASM books I cracked out were between issue 190 and 275, so...copper age?

My understanding is that it’s grader’s discretion to include it, and that it’s typically only used for older comics. Pre-1990s comics are where it’s needed, so yes most likely copper and older. 

On 10/17/2023 at 1:52 PM, VintageComics said:

A few years ago CGC started reducing the number of graders that look at a book as well as the terminology on their disclaimer on the back of slabs. 

The reduced it stating that at least 2 graders look at a book (used to be 3).

Additionally, around the same time period (and possibly earlier) they started reducing how much microchamber paper they use. 

I've personally noticed that Moderns often don't get ANY microchamber paper while Vintage books now get one OR two sheets. 

Also, the papers used to be place next to the covers in the early days. 

I'm assuming they're doing this as cost cutting measures to increase productivity and efficiency but it does have an effect on the quality of the product.

Now, if your book gets even gets one, it usually goes somewhere in the middle of the book (not the centerfold, because I assume the microchamber paper may have an easier time slipping out of the CF position than one of the interior pages or the covers).

Personally, I preferred the pages behind the covers to stop the transfer of oils from the interior pages to the covers as often happens on GA/SA and BA books (most prevalent on Marvels) because over time and in warmer climates the oils seep out of the interior page inks as they break down and they start to yellow the covers.

This is really where the microchamber paper should be. 

I think there were complaints about how the paper inside the cover made the covers appear a bit more transparent.  

On 10/17/2023 at 3:58 PM, buttock said:

I think there were complaints about how the paper inside the cover made the covers appear a bit more transparent.  

Oh, I'm well aware of that. 

I was one of the first people 20 years ago who pointed out that it was the WHITENESS of the microchamber paper reflecting the inside of SA Marvel covers back out through the cover. 

White reflects light and the white behind the cover was causing the interior cover images to bounce back out through the cover stock when it has some oils in the cover from the interior paper inks. 

But the problem you have now is that the interior page is resting right against the cover again and you will continue to get that yellowing increase over time as inks break down on the interior pages and oils move outward toward the cover and soak into it.

The only other compromise would be to consistently put the paper behind the 1st page. That way the microchamber paper acts as a barrier for ALL the interior pages except the 1st splash page...but I'm not sure if that would prevent much. 

On 10/17/2023 at 4:04 PM, buttock said:
On 10/17/2023 at 4:03 PM, VintageComics said:

Oh, I'm well aware of that. 

No you're not. 

Yo' momma. 

Based on recently graded Bronze Age comics I've cracked out, CGC is most often putting the microchamber paper between two inside pages near either the front or back of the books, or sometimes both.

On 10/17/2023 at 11:15 AM, lostboys said:

Asking because I cracked 25 AMS slabs last night and not one single book had any.

SUPER LAME! 

No excuse. 

Jack up the fees. Cut WAY back on the materials needed to properly ship our collectibles. Now they aren't even taking the proper steps to conserve them. 

CGC has some explaining to do. Very disappointing news. 

On 10/17/2023 at 2:52 PM, VintageComics said:

Personally, I preferred the pages behind the covers to stop the transfer of oils from the interior pages to the covers as often happens on GA/SA and BA books (most prevalent on Marvels) because over time and in warmer climates the oils seep out of the interior page inks as they break down and they start to yellow the covers.

This is really where the microchamber paper should be. 

I use three sheets for each of my raw books. One behind the front cover, one in the centerfold, and one in front of the back cover. 

I don't expect CGC to go overkill, but a single sheet would work wonders. 

But hey! Anything to save a few quarters. 

On 10/17/2023 at 1:45 PM, MisterMR said:

My understanding is that it’s grader’s discretion to include it, and that it’s typically only used for older comics. Pre-1990s comics are where it’s needed, so yes most likely copper and older. 

No. It's needed everywhere. "Modern" comics degrade, too.