• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I am done with CGC, completely fed up! Major slab holder issue.
7 7

109 posts in this topic

Yet another high end collectible completely destroyed by a CGC holder. I am not an expert collectible encapsulation professional, but this has to be the most horribly engineered slab (Cut corner) Universal cheap way of providing a “Professional” grading service to customers. So be aware of staple and cover tear/detaching of your collectibles. You now have this loose area around the book and if it is somewhat pinched in the holder, or possibly dropped (Not this example) be prepared for full cover or staple detaching.

As an engineer, who would create this for a high end collectible and not test it out? Older slabs used to have inserts where it would prevent book shifting and covers from pinching and tearing with movement.

IMG_9510.jpeg

IMG_9515.jpeg

IMG_9516.jpeg

IMG_9514.jpeg

IMG_9517.jpeg

IMG_9512.jpeg

Edited by BigLeagueCHEW

On 10/21/2023 at 1:39 PM, Beastfeast said:

Same thing happened to one of my books a few months ago.  It was not a high dollar or sentimental book so it didn't personally matter to me but seeing it happen to others is a bummmmmmer.  Sorry, dude! 

I don’t understand why they did away with the slab reinforcement tabs. It’s like they made them smaller, then completely eliminated them.

On 10/21/2023 at 2:28 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

These elongated reinforcement tabs were used both at the bottom and sides to prevent shifting.

IMG_9519.jpeg

So sorry to hear about your book.  Just wanted to mention that the tabs you're illustrating - I think of them as spacers - can also damage books.  I have a GA book that was ripped in two places by a spacer.

On 10/21/2023 at 11:19 PM, Galen130 said:

People should just stop submitting for a while.  When CGC starts losing money, maybe then they’ll finally fix EVERYTHING.

IMG_0232.gif

I recently learned that CGC recently stopped putting microchamber paper inside the front and back covers of vintage books, so I won't be submitting any time soon if ever.

@BigLeagueCHEW

So sorry to see that. Have you contacted CGC about it? Though it's no comfort to you, these things are going to happen as long as CGC continue to operate this way. What are they going to do for you, to make it right? 

On 10/21/2023 at 9:21 PM, thehumantorch said:

So sorry to hear about your book.  Just wanted to mention that the tabs you're illustrating - I think of them as spacers - can also damage books.  I have a GA book that was ripped in two places by a spacer.

There's always the possibility that something traumatic can happen, even when a wedge is used. They're designed to keep the book from moving around inside the well, but they're simply not built to withstand severe impacts such as those that can happen during the shipping process. They are, after all, just thin strips of plastic...