• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hero Restoration, Anyone know the latest?
24 24

1,366 posts in this topic

On 1/20/2024 at 9:35 AM, Chip Cataldo said:

BTW, these are the two messages he sent me when I asked about the provenance of the book...

Wow…..just wow….  

There used to be a blurry line between this being a crime and a business dispute. I would think that line has been sufficiently crossed at this point. 

This may have been mentioned,  but look at the picture of his AF15. 

All of the pictures on his listing are pretty lousy,  but this one stood out. 

I imagine he blured the picture so the owner can't easily pick up defining characteristics.  

It's so disheartening to see how this situation has unfolded. 

Screenshot_20240120_111802_eBay.jpg

On 1/20/2024 at 10:21 AM, KCOComics said:

This may have been mentioned,  but look at the picture of his AF15. 

All of the pictures on his listing are pretty lousy,  but this one stood out.

Any reputable dealer/seller with an expensive book to sell, take it out of the bag for starters. :idea:

On 1/20/2024 at 12:52 PM, wombat said:

I thought in one of his long rambling posts he lamented about selling everything he had of value to keep the doors open. Seems a little sus that NOW he has made the decision to sell his own books and oops, I mixed them up with customer's books.  

Yeah, there are lots to doubt about it when we know for a fact he has sold customer books - I can't confirm it is 100% legally his book (I don't know where he got it from years ago)

On 1/20/2024 at 12:08 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I’m more shocked someone would drop that kind of coin on a listing like that. I mean, blurry photos, still in the bag - I wouldn’t buy a $20 book that was listed like that.

Yeah when I saw that AF 15 on ebay before even knowing it is linked to Mike, I thought it was very odd how the picture is blurry and only one pic was taken. Very suspicious for being a high end comic, so I ended up passing on the buy price. Too many red flags, glad I didn't take a chance. 

On 1/22/2024 at 11:09 AM, Sorensen7 said:

After reading the updated article over the weekend, I filed with my credit card and it looks like they are going to refund me all my money.  I had an asm 40 from when I was a kid and I bought my kid an asm 300 and venon vs carnage 2 from ebay a little over a year ago.  I mailed 3 books to hero restoration for pressing and sending off to cgc back in november of 22.  They charged me 130 after they got the books.  After a while of trying to respond to get an update on books I received another bill for 270 from hero restoration in march of 23 and they said the books are going to be shipped to cgc.  I paid that.  After a while of sending emails and getting automated responses I knew my books were probably gone.  After reading this article I called my credit card company.  I saved all the emails from the 2 books I bought and the 2 bills I got from hero restoration.  The credit card company said they would issue me a refund and file a claim with company.  If hero restoration decides to refund books or send me a credit than the credit card company will bill me the amount.  It looks like I will get about 1k back which is better than getting nothing back.  If anyone is in this situation and have emails saved it looks like you could get some money back.  My first purchase in this ordeal was 9/22.  I should get everything back except for the price I paid for the asm 40 that i bought when I was a kid.  I hope this helps out any of you that are in this situation.  Thanks

Several things:

1) i'm not sure how the credit card claims department is going to handle it, but under normal circumstances, the credit card issuer will find that you should only be compensated for any amount paid to Hero Restoration.  The eBay transactions were fulfilled properly as they were delivered to you.  I know the credit card companies will issue a temporary refund while they investigate, but I would expect that amount to get clawed back.  If not, you got a claim investigator who was really kind and/or didn't care about their job since it's "not their money".

2) most credit card issuers will only allow you to file a claim within X number of days of the transaction.  Some are better than others, but I've found that 6 months seems to be the high end.  For you to file a claim for something dating back to 2022 is quite incredible.

Who's the card issuer?

On 1/22/2024 at 2:48 PM, ExNihilo said:

Several things:

1) i'm not sure how the credit card claims department is going to handle it, but under normal circumstances, the credit card issuer will find that you should only be compensated for any amount paid to Hero Restoration.  The eBay transactions were fulfilled properly as they were delivered to you.  I know the credit card companies will issue a temporary refund while they investigate, but I would expect that amount to get clawed back.  If not, you got a claim investigator who was really kind and/or didn't care about their job since it's "not their money".

2) most credit card issuers will only allow you to file a claim within X number of days of the transaction.  Some are better than others, but I've found that 6 months seems to be the high end.  For you to file a claim for something dating back to 2022 is quite incredible.

Who's the card issuer?

I have capital one.  I will post if I get a refund.  I did explain the situation which they questioned the time frame.  I don’t know what the final outcome will be but they said I would get a refund for all 4 charges.