• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hero Restoration, Anyone know the latest?
24 24

1,339 posts in this topic

On 2/12/2024 at 11:46 PM, paulailp said:

I originally sent it to him because it was graded as poor restoration, he guaranteed me that he could get it ti an 8 with professional restoration.  

now it looks like a pile of junk. I’m putting off going through it because I am so stressed and disappointed. 

You are going to need to do a page count and see if the staples were returned as well.

I am not a restorer but I would have assumed one of the earlier processes would have been to leaf case the edges; outside of disassembly it doesn't really look like anything was done. Was the cover worse than the internal pages?

On 2/13/2024 at 2:21 AM, DougC said:

You are going to need to do a page count and see if the staples were returned as well.

I am not a restorer but I would have assumed one of the earlier processes would have been to leaf case the edges; outside of disassembly it doesn't really look like anything was done. Was the cover worse than the internal pages?

This! Inspect all the wraps returned to you carefully. A few customers have recently told me of missing pages, damage, and/or missing staples from books that were returned disassembled and never had the restoration work finished.

On 2/13/2024 at 9:57 AM, Sauce Dog said:

This! Inspect all the wraps returned to you carefully. A few customers have recently told me of missing pages, damage, and/or missing staples from books that were returned disassembled and never had the restoration work finished.

Sadly, it is not surprising.

On 2/13/2024 at 12:12 AM, paulailp said:

I just logged on to this site today as I received a package in the mail today of the Flash 1. It is all separate pages with various states of restoration. 

1. I would like to personally thank everyone that has been working and helping out with this unfortunate predicament. 
2. I am glad that after 14 years and $5000.00 paid to Mike for a complete restoration, I now have the book back. At least pages from it. I am honestly scared to look at them. At least in the last 14 years I have tried to forget about it. 

when I sent it to him it was in a graded CGC case. Now I have sort of a book back. Does anyone recommend a reputable restoration person that could help me?

Thanks again, 

67728284-79EF-485B-8AD7-3070A8BDFF20.jpeg

Horrific.

Feel so bad for ya man.

On 2/12/2024 at 10:12 PM, paulailp said:

I just logged on to this site today as I received a package in the mail today of the Flash 1. It is all separate pages with various states of restoration. 

1. I would like to personally thank everyone that has been working and helping out with this unfortunate predicament. 
2. I am glad that after 14 years and $5000.00 paid to Mike for a complete restoration, I now have the book back. At least pages from it. I am honestly scared to look at them. At least in the last 14 years I have tried to forget about it. 

when I sent it to him it was in a graded CGC case. Now I have sort of a book back. Does anyone recommend a reputable restoration person that could help me?

Thanks again, 

14 years?  And all he apparently did in 14 years was crack the book out and disassemble it?  I'm so sorry Paul.

On 2/12/2024 at 9:46 PM, paulailp said:

I originally sent it to him because it was graded as poor restoration, he guaranteed me that he could get it ti an 8 with professional restoration.  

now it looks like a pile of junk. I’m putting off going through it because I am so stressed and disappointed. 

You're taking this a lot better than I would be.

The book is actually in worse shape than when I sent it to him. It had brittle pages and it looks like he broke parts off so he could attempt to cast in new material. This didn’t work and he just stopped working on it.

Any other victims please file a complaint with the USPS postal inspectors. They deal with Mail fraud, Cybercrime etc. as the books and payments were shipped across state lines by the postal service. I believe Mike also used the internet to steel or defraud. I was told this fits into their jurisdiction.

Mike needs professional help and Jail time. Hopefully he can be cell mates with the tossed Salad Man. 

Thanks for everyone’s help support and understanding.

On 2/13/2024 at 12:58 PM, paulailp said:

The book is actually in worse shape than when I sent it to him. It had brittle pages and it looks like he broke parts off so he could attempt to cast in new material. This didn’t work and he just stopped working on it.

Any other victims please file a complaint with the USPS postal inspectors. They deal with Mail fraud, Cybercrime etc. as the books and payments were shipped across state lines by the postal service. I believe Mike also used the internet to steel or defraud. I was told this fits into their jurisdiction.

Mike needs professional help and Jail time. Hopefully he can be cell mates with the tossed Salad Man. 

Thanks for everyone’s help support and understanding.

I am sorry to see this. It's possible this explains the 14 year wait. Your book may have been "broken" soon after receipt. He was in over his head, and rather than face the situation, he sat on it and procrastinated.  

Edited by Mr. Zipper

This was the picture he sent of the restorations he was working on October 5 2022. He stated he had 17 books being worked on. In chronological order from top left. 

some very nice expensive books. I wonder how many people got there book back and in what condition. 

A2943F9D-57C8-44FA-978B-823555387B95.png

Edited by paulailp

On 2/13/2024 at 1:46 PM, paulailp said:

This was the picture he sent of the restorations he was working on October 5 2022. He stated he had 17 books being worked on. In chronological order from top left. 

some very nice expensive books. I wonder how many people got there book back and in what condition. 

A2943F9D-57C8-44FA-978B-823555387B95.png

That is my Tales of Suspense #39 in top right which has been returned disassembled. It was leafcasted and some color touch was done on it but never completed and most needed to be redone due to color mismatch (it is now in the hands of Phil at Phantom Restoration)

On 2/13/2024 at 10:29 AM, KCOComics said:

Kenny Sanderson! PM me and I can give you contact info.  

He's the best in the business and will have it to you in less than 14 years,  guaranteed!!!

This 1000x, @paulailp. If there's anyone who can salvage this mess, it's Kenny. Check out sanderson_studios on IG - he has great progress posts (pics and video clips) where you can see his amazing work.

On 2/13/2024 at 12:12 AM, paulailp said:

Thanks again, 

Wow! So sorry to see this. It would take me days to calm down enough to post something.

What a total cluster :censored: after 14 years and $5K.

I hope you engage every legal angle toward this guy.

-bc

On 2/13/2024 at 4:30 PM, brute_nm said:

This 1000x, @paulailp. If there's anyone who can salvage this mess, it's Kenny. Check out sanderson_studios on IG - he has great progress posts (pics and video clips) where you can see his amazing work.

Progress pics?  You mean it's not standard practice to go radio silent for 14 years?  I dunno man, sounds too good to be true.  /s

On 2/13/2024 at 10:36 AM, shadroch said:

Slice up the pages, have them certified and sell the panels for a couple hundred each.

Adapt and overcome.

image.png.0d0edd3d23156e86474f19a49568d919.png

Well said, Gunny Highway. (One of my favorite Eastwood movies).