• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hero Restoration, Anyone know the latest?
29 29

1,993 posts in this topic

There’s just so many variables with how sentencing works. Do your part if you’re a witness or victim, but other than that, no point in too much pre-worry/anger/stress until the time comes.

Plenty of time to feel all your emotions then

On 10/4/2024 at 9:26 PM, jimjum12 said:

My son took a PlayStation when he was 17 and got 9 years with 7.5 suspended. We watched people receive less than that for home invasions, aggravated assaults, and manslaughter as time marched on. When we see someone pull a heinous crime and get a light sentence, we have this inside joke "It's not like they stole a PlayStation or something. All they did was Kill someone". That may very well end up being the case here. Sad but true. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I'm seriously upset reading this.  Hoping he's ok after that - glad to see you kept your faith!

On 10/5/2024 at 1:59 AM, Larryw7 said:

We need an anger emoji here.

>:( Best I could find.  As this pisses me off too.  I don't want to get into the unfairness of the law but I have my suspicion as to why this may have happened to him. 

On 10/15/2024 at 8:51 AM, Neo "The One" said:

Special thanks to "You Know Who"...  Also - Board was down last night.  I had nightmares that "MasterCPU" was back on a hack attack.  

Pled Guilty:

image.thumb.png.99f4134b553463aa3907efd5e21511e5.png

So now we just await sentencing? 

And I imagine he pled guilty because he took some deal. Hopefully it involves prison. 

On 10/15/2024 at 11:33 AM, Neo "The One" said:

So now we just await sentencing?  - To my knowledge, yes.

It looks like he plead guilty to 5 of the 19 counts. Concurrent senticing nowadays makes it like pleading guilty to one count. I'd prefer not to follow this anymore because I have a feeling he'll get barely any prison time. 

Edited by Flanders82

On 10/15/2024 at 7:41 PM, Flanders82 said:

It looks like he plead guilty to 5 of the 19 counts. Concurrent senticing nowadays makes it like pleading guilty to one count. I'd prefer not to follow this anymore because I have a feeling he'll get barely any prison time. 

That’s the spirit, give up before the process plays out!  Why not just drop the charges altogether?

Do you know anything about the sentencing guidelines in Oregon?  Or what the dollar amount is behind each of those counts that he pled to?  Is his DUI/contempt case being dropped as part of the plea, or is he still up against that?  How much restitution and property forfeiture is he facing?  I’d bet none of us have those answers right now.

And from what I can see, Linn County is not Portland.

On 10/15/2024 at 9:40 PM, mattn792 said:

That’s the spirit, give up before the process plays out!  Why not just drop the charges altogether?

Do you know anything about the sentencing guidelines in Oregon?  Or what the dollar amount is behind each of those counts that he pled to?  Is his DUI/contempt case being dropped as part of the plea, or is he still up against that?  How much restitution and property forfeiture is he facing?  I’d bet none of us have those answers right now.

And from what I can see, Linn County is not Portland.

Sometimes you have to face the reality of the situation, it does not mean you are giving up, but accepting likelihoods vice playing pretend in the real world. I will change my initial guess of being offered 3 years and down it to 2 and he will be out in 12 months after sentencing.

Sentencing guidelines for ORS 164.055 - 164.061 are as follows:

The punishment for aggravated theft in the first degree can include: Up to 10 years in prison, A fine of up to $250,000, and Restitution. 

1. Aggravated theft in the first degree can include: Up to 10 years in prison, A fine of up to $250,000, and Restitution.
    1. I am not 100% on the above as Class B & C Felonies are different and have seen different max sentencing references.
  2. If the victim was 65 or older at the time of the theft, the offender must serve a prison term of 16 to 45 months.

I am unsure of Mike's age so #2 might not be a factor. It is my estimation he would have been offered 2 years for each of the six guilty pleas (12 years total) to run concurrent (2 years served) with the option of parole (as the sentence is over 1 year) though with time served and good days he is very likely to cut that down to one year from time of sentencing. Any restitution/fine is just for show as the money will not be able to be claimed. It would be up to the courts/local DA to continuously follow up and resubmit pleading for potential contempt when no payments are made. Any property in possession of Mike after his passing will first go to the state to pay the fine (and interest) and only once fully paid would the rest go to the victims.

I would have hoped they threw the book at him but this seems like a more even handed approach to secure a conviction with the quickest result was implemented. The important thing is that he will no longer be able to do business in the way he previously has done at least in the dollar value of books which he received.

I honestly have very little frame of reference for what a reasonable sentence is.  

Mike's been in jail for a few months now. Presumably he'll get sentenced to more time in prison. I can't imagine being in my 50s and going to prison for white collar crimes.

He will have restitution (likely impossible to collect on), a felony - I don't believe he owns property, getting a job will be impossible,  the comic community has turned its back on him and i imagine he's burned most personal relationships.

He's got s tough road in front of him.  So I don't know if 12 months  or 3 years is appropriate.   My gut tells me it should be closer to 3 years,  given the amount of people he hurt and the money he's stolen.

The other end of this,  is what I'm more concerned about. You've got victims with books being held as evidence. Other victims who have no idea where their books are.  Not to mention no one will be made whole for the thousands and thousands of dollars he stole from them. 

No matter how many years Mike gets, alot of people will never be justly compensated. 

And please don't read this as - I'm OK if he gets a lighter sentence. I would like to see him get a severe punishment. He's been an awful person and in my opinion,  he deserves harsh consequences. 

It's more saying - his sentencing is almost inconsequential in the big picture. It doesn't improve the outcome for victims and weather he's behind bars or not,  he's got a very a difficult path forward.