• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hero Restoration, Anyone know the latest?
24 24

1,318 posts in this topic

On 11/9/2023 at 2:31 PM, MatterEaterLad said:
On 11/9/2023 at 2:00 PM, Superman2006 said:

If a book was purple for trimming and nothing else and it had leaf casting done to add back what the trimming took off, then I would think it would still state "pieces added" on the label, and therefore still get a purple label.

Again, the trimming was not removed via leaf-casting. It was done with dry grafting. 

Right, but it's still considered "pieces added", and hence it would still get a purple label.

On 11/9/2023 at 12:28 PM, manetteska said:

I have no idea the notes on the original Batman #1, the the worked-on slab has these notes.

The bold may indicate trimming is no longer an issue but now there are pieces added; unsure as I don't have original notes and outside of trimming there is a lot going on with this book.

Label Text
Restoration includes: color touch, pieces added, reinforced, cleaned, interior lightened.
rader Notes
cleaned
color touch on cover
color touch on interior
interior lightened
interior reinforced
pieces added cover A-5
pieces added interior A-3
small stain right center of front cover
soiling cover

I talked to Mike at length about this when he posted it to his Insta feed years ago. It was a phone call, so I don't remember it exactly, but I seem to recall it was a Purple 5.0 with TRIMMED on the label and he got it to a Purple 7.0 without trimming. It wasn't an accident, or a label mistake. The book was sent to him with the intention of removing the trimming designation and he pulled it off. 

On 11/9/2023 at 12:33 PM, Superman2006 said:

Right, but it's still considered "pieces added", and hence it would still get a purple label.

I edited my initial post. I misunderstood. Mike didn't take the Bat 1 from Purple to Blue, but he did remove the trimming. 

Now imagine a book like this AF15, which is Purple because of trimming and nothing else. Couldn't someone conceivably take it to Blue using his technique? Has this been happening already?

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by MatterEaterLad

On 11/9/2023 at 2:40 PM, MatterEaterLad said:

I edited my initial post. I misunderstood. Mike didn't take the Bat 1 from Purple to Blue, but he did remove the trimming. 

Now imagine a book like this AF15, which is Purple because of trimming and nothing else. Couldn't someone conceivably take it to Blue using his technique? Has this been happening already?

s-l1600.jpg

Weird, I've replied a few times already, but my responses aren’t showing up in the thread; at the risk of my prior posts all of the sudden showing up, here it is again;

No, it shouldn't be able to go to a blue label, unless CGC missed the work that was done.

If CGC catches the work that was done then it should get a "pieces added" notation + purple label.

On 11/9/2023 at 12:49 PM, Superman2006 said:

No, it shouldn't be able to go to a blue label, unless CGC missed the work that was done.

That's my point. That's what Mike was actually doing. He was able to dry graft a trimmed edge and CGC could not detect it. He'd done it multiple times. 

On 11/9/2023 at 2:53 PM, MatterEaterLad said:

That's my point. That's what Mike was actually doing. He was able to dry graft a trimmed edge and CGC could not detect it. He'd done it multiple times. 

Unless this was done to one of your books where you've seen this done for a fact, is it possible that something was lost in translation, and that Mike just meant that he was able to get the trimmed notation removed, but that it now has a "pieces added" notation like the Batman #1 in your earlier post?

You wouldn't happen to have an example of a book that had a "trimmed" notation in the past, but which no longer has a trimmed or "pieces added" notation, would you? Or even some sample "after" scans of a book which has had such a treatment, would you? I'm curious if one could see the work that was done in a clear scan, or if it is truly next to impossible to detect - at least in a scan; maybe in hand it would still be possible if someone knew what to look for.

On 11/9/2023 at 1:19 PM, Superman2006 said:

Unless this was done to one of your books where you've seen this done for a fact, is it possible that something was lost in translation, and that Mike just meant that he was able to get the trimmed notation removed, but that it now has a "pieces added" notation like the Batman #1 in your earlier post?

You wouldn't happen to have an example of a book that had a "trimmed" notation in the past, but which no longer has a trimmed or "pieces added" notation, would you? Or even some sample "after" scans of a book which has had such a treatment, would you? I'm curious if one could see the work that was done in a clear scan, or if it is truly next to impossible to detect - at least in a scan; maybe in hand it would still be possible if someone knew what to look for.

Who knows? Maybe the owner of that Bat 1 is a boardie and could share some insight?

As far as lost in translation, when Mike imploded, I reached out to Kenny Sanderson who said he could do it as well, if the conditions were right, depending on the book.

On 11/9/2023 at 1:31 PM, MatterEaterLad said:

Again, the trimming was not removed via leaf-casting. It was done with dry grafting. 

Didn't Hero Restoration refer to it as Leaf Casting in his own post?

"Leaf casting cover and first wrap."

Leaf.thumb.jpg.e92017b406afed8377e988c15ac2244d.jpg

I am the person with the Flash 1, that I paid for a complete restoration close to 10 years ago.

I have been in contact with the police and the state  https://justice.oregon.gov/consumercomplaints/ Consumer Protection Fraud investigation department. 

Mike definitely has an interesting past from around 1997…..

I have definitely been taken advantage of and defrauded.

unfortunately Karma is all that I can hope for, along with maybe Mike getting a small fine and a few hrs in prison. Unfortunately the system is broken. 

I had a better copy of this rare comic that was stolen few years ago too. I guess it is just the way it was ment to be. Bad luck and definitely Sucks to be me. But life goes on. 

Paul

On Nov 8, 2023, at 9:07 PM, Hero Restoration <contact@hrcomics.com> wrote:

I am failing at accomplishments,  and have made no progress on work. I need an address to send your book back to you until I figure out how to work on books again.

Sent from my T-Mobile 5G Device
Get Outlook for Android

Sent: Friday, July 21, 2023 8:21:10 PM
To: p.mcdougall1@icloud.com <p.mcdougall1@icloud.com>
Subject: Re: Flash 1

Michael DeChellis
Hero Restoration
55 Walker Rd. #184
Lebanon Or. 97355
541-240-2931
Edited by paulailp

Mike

No surprise you haven’t done much, you have not honoured the contract and have taken advantage of me. I’m confident my insurance company will definitely be taking action against you. The payment was made to you personally not an llc that you can try to hide behind. However this is not the place to make threats of criminal or legal action so I won’t.

Please inform your insurance company that you will be receiving papers. if you actually do have the insurance you claimed to have. However I am very doubtful.

Please ship to 

Xxxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxxxx removed 

Very disappointed but I believe in karma. I have definitely been scammed.  

Ps hopefully you do remember what my career has been for the last 25+ years…. If you look me up on LinkedIn you can see my connections in Law enforcement all over North America from the various fraud investigation conferences that I have attended over the years.

Sleep well. I bet it definitely sucks knowing that fraud investigations can take about as long as you have had my Comic. I couldn’t imagine the stress of wondering every day, when am I going to be arrested…

You choose your own path.

Regards and please conduct your self accordingly.

Paul 

his auto reply….

Date: November 9, 2023 at 11:45:17 PM MST
To: Paul McDougall <p.mcdougall1@icloud.com>
Subject: Automatic reply: Flash 1

9/12 Getting shipping done again. Too busy to reply to emails right now. If you are waiting on me, it should not be much longer.

On 11/9/2023 at 11:14 PM, Domo Arigato said:

Didn't Hero Restoration refer to it as Leaf Casting in his own post?

"Leaf casting cover and first wrap."

Leaf.thumb.jpg.e92017b406afed8377e988c15ac2244d.jpg

I think we're getting in the weeds about HOW it's done, but not discussing how often it's being done. I'm guessing this is pretty common then. But no one talks about it. 

Old email from Mike:

ScreenShot2023-11-09at2_13_04PM.thumb.png.4a5f828e12593a8c0da73b5f3b7e9a53.png

Edited by MatterEaterLad

I can't believe he's done it again. 

Well, actually, with all apologies to his current victims, yeah I can. His last posts were totally unhinged, and showed the true person he was, and it was ugly. That was a personalty type who would defraud, IMO. 

I hope you get your book/s back, and any money owed you, and soon. He's known for his delaying tactics, so don't play in the swamp, you'll get stuck, and he enjoys it in there. 

On 11/10/2023 at 7:39 AM, Cat said:

I can't believe he's done it again. 

Well, actually, with all apologies to his current victims, yeah I can. His last posts were totally unhinged, and showed the true person he was, and it was ugly. That was a personalty type who would defraud, IMO. 

I hope you get your book/s back, and any money owed you, and soon. He's known for his delaying tactics, so don't play in the swamp, you'll get stuck, and he enjoys it in there. 

It's awful. I keep thinking that me and @Dr. Balls should drive out there with a list of everyone's books and see what we can find. But I fear a lot of books may be disassembled, worked on but not completed. Or that some were at his East Coast location when it all started falling apart and maybe those employees have them now? Or worst of all, that might have sold some books, not that he would admit it.

Driving out there seems a little crazy, but what happens if he has another heart attack and dies. Some relative who knows nothing about comics is left in charge and may have no idea what they're worth?

On 11/11/2023 at 12:57 AM, MatterEaterLad said:

It's awful. I keep thinking that me and @Dr. Balls should drive out there with a list of everyone's books and see what we can find. But I fear a lot of books may be disassembled, worked on but not completed. Or that some were at his East Coast location when it all started falling apart and maybe those employees have them now? Or worst of all, that might have sold some books, not that he would admit it.

Driving out there seems a little crazy, but what happens if he has another heart attack and dies. Some relative who knows nothing about comics is left in charge and may have no idea what they're worth?

As maddening as it is, it's not your responsibility, mate. We need someone with force and lawful means to take responsibility. He seems the type to call the police on you, if anything. Do you think he'd hand over the books? Plus good luck verifying ownership. I have a feeling his record-keeping is a nightmare. 

On 11/9/2023 at 12:56 PM, Steviehuv66 said:

Heroes Restoration has been a Ponzi Scheme for more than a year now.  I was lucky enough to have my FF 5 returned (without the work I paid for) but he stole my 2k.  I’m one of the lucky ones. 

And what have you done about it? You just let someone steal $2,000 from you?

On 11/10/2023 at 8:11 AM, Cat said:

As maddening as it is, it's not your responsibility, mate. We need someone with force and lawful means to take responsibility. He seems the type to call the police on you, if anything. Do you think he'd hand over the books? Plus good luck verifying ownership. I have a feeling his record-keeping is a nightmare. 

I have zero faith in the police in Mike's area. Back in August, my son had a van stolen in Portland and the police literally said they couldn't do anything. He had an AirTag in the vehicle and could track where it was, but it didn't matter. He and a bunch of friends went and stole it back. Not recommended, but that's what they had to do.

It is totally disappointing. He has talents besides taking advantage of people. 

im speculating but I’m guessing he has taken $100s of thousands for work not competed. 

As with most fraudsters he is a good talker, he also doesn’t believe he did anything wrong etc and tries to rationalize his actions. 

unfortunately he has minimal assets, I can’t find any evidence of a current insurance policy. I will do what I can but unfortunately you can’t get blood out of a stone. It is sad to say that his actions are small and all to common in today’s society. 

I am hoping that everyone gets there books back and not in different parts. I know  the money is long gone, I can accept that, as I have been more than patient for almost 10 years. 
I just really wanted this book to pass along to my kids in the future.  Hopefully I can find someone credible to finish this restoration.