• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hero Restoration, Anyone know the latest?
24 24

1,339 posts in this topic

On 11/21/2023 at 10:48 AM, shadroch said:

What needs to be done to turn this into a criminal case?

Would this be a criminal case? Or would the individuals have to go after Hero in small claims court for services paid for but not rendered? Even if you got a judgment there, wouldn't you still have to fight for your property/money via a sheriff, or a lien or something? In my experience with a similar situation (a Canadian small business that was ripped off by a contractor) the judgment was the easiest part. And though we won (the defendant skipped the trial), we never received a penny, just more aggravation.

Edited by Black_Adam

On 11/21/2023 at 9:00 PM, JAUITO said:

I sent Mike 15 books in April 2021 and 11 grand for restoration. Once I found out how behind he was 5 years I asked for books and money to be returned. He said no problem. Still waiting a year and a half. Nothing but a thief and always will be. He knows nothing about running a business. 

So you did nothing about this?

No wonder this guy gets away with this - all I see is person after person complaining they have had their books and money stolen, and passively accepting it.

It's been going on for a decade!

Is there nobody affected by this who lives nearby who can obtain a warrant for return of goods (The Sheriffs dept do this in Australia so apologies for not knowing how you guys do this) then contact the local Police Department for assistance to serve it,and collect the books?

If he has the books, why does his health matter? You are collecting books, not stabbing him in the face.

I don't believe for one second if someone walked into a Police Station and said 'A guy has my books and $$ totalling $25,000 and he lives here - can you help me get it back" - and they will do nothing? 

And when multiple people in multiple Police Stations do the same - and it all ends up at the local (to Heros') Police Station - they will do nothing??

Is that what you are all saying?

Bloody hell, just on this thread alone there are hundreds of thousands of $$$ worth of books and cash, and y'all letting it slide because he is 'sick'.

Screw this guy.

Use the Police - it's their job isn't it?

On 11/21/2023 at 4:55 PM, Beige said:

So you did nothing about this?

No wonder this guy gets away with this - all I see is person after person complaining they have had their books and money stolen, and passively accepting it.

It's been going on for a decade!

Is there nobody affected by this who lives nearby who can obtain a warrant for return of goods (The Sheriffs dept do this in Australia so apologies for not knowing how you guys do this) then contact the local Police Department for assistance to serve it,and collect the books?

If he has the books, why does his health matter? You are collecting books, not stabbing him in the face.

I don't believe for one second if someone walked into a Police Station and said 'A guy has my books and $$ totalling $25,000 and he lives here - can you help me get it back" - and they will do nothing? 

And when multiple people in multiple Police Stations do the same - and it all ends up at the local (to Heros') Police Station - they will do nothing??

Is that what you are all saying?

Bloody hell, just on this thread alone there are hundreds of thousands of $$$ worth of books and cash, and y'all letting it slide because he is 'sick'.

Screw this guy.

Use the Police - it's their job isn't it?

No, that is not their job. The police are not going to investigate this if you just walk in and tell em some mean man isn't giving you back your funny books. This has to go through actual legal channels to get any sort of traction, a process that can be very expensive and time consuming (hence why one-off individuals who are wronged often cannot do anything meaningful about it). Cops won't even investigate if you tell them exactly where your stolen car is currently located (seriously...it is a very sad common occurrence at this point both in the USA and Canada). Sure you can go in and make a complaint there, but let's be honest...it isn't going to amount to much other then a paper in a file until someone with means/status comes along to complain or take legal action they can afford to bankroll themselves. 

For most people without the funds/time the most they can do often amounts to only registering a complaint through proper channels(such as justice.oregon.gov), and mayyybeee if they are well off enough start to fight in small claims court.

Edited by Sauce Dog

I live close to this situation, and I would be happy to go down there at my own expense and try to resolve this, by which I mean figure out if the books are still there and if the owners can be identified.  If they are and can, I'd start packing and shipping them at my expense and hope to be reimbursed by the owners.  It goes without saying that I don't want Covid and would greatly prefer to have backup.

I think there's probably only a small chance anyone's books are recoverable.  It's not hard to imagine a person who is desperate enough would cash in.

Edited by MattTheDuck

On 11/22/2023 at 12:00 PM, Sauce Dog said:

No, that is not their job. The police are not going to investigate this if you just walk in and tell em some mean man isn't giving you back your funny books. This has to go through actual legal channels to get any sort of traction, a process that can be very expensive and time consuming (hence why one-off individuals who are wronged often cannot do anything meaningful about it). Cops won't even investigate if you tell them exactly where your stolen car is currently located (seriously...it is a very sad common occurrence at this point both in the USA and Canada).

Wow.

That is awful. I actually think our Police here are OK - they certainly would make a visit if I was to make a complaint such as this.

I had no idea your Police were so.......I dunno what word to use tbh. Non-active, as opposed to pro-active.

So if you saw a cop car outside of Hero - and told them he had stolen your books, and you could prove they were yours - they wouldn't even get out of the car?

That's absurd.

Not even if you make a written statement accusing Hero's of theft, with proof of purchase and delivery to Hero's and they won't do anything even then?

Seriously?

That's insane.

On 11/22/2023 at 12:00 PM, Sauce Dog said:

Sure you can go in and make a complaint there, but let's be honest...it isn't going to amount to much other then a paper in a file until someone with means/status comes along to complain or take legal action they can afford to bankroll themselves. 

The guy above sent him $11,000 and 15 valuable books.

That's not enough to get a cop to visit Hero's address?

That's absolutely bloody ridiculous.

On 11/22/2023 at 12:13 PM, MattTheDuck said:

I live close to this situation, and I would be happy to go down there at my own expense and try to resolve this, by which I mean figure out if the books are still there and if the owners can be identified.  If they are and can, I'd start packing and shipping them at my expense and hope to be reimbursed by the owners.  It goes without saying that I don't want Covid and would greatly prefer to have backup.

I think there's probably only a small chance anyone's books are recoverable.  It's not hard to imagine a person who is desperate enough would cash in.

If you are close - why not visit the local Police and show them this thread?

I'm sure the aggrieved parties would send you book details and their contact info prior to a visit to the station.

I have no reason to doubt @Sauce Dog  above - but that's an absurd take on things by the Police Department.

Go visit the Police Station and see how you go - if they can spare an officer, and you have the info about which books are there, then Mike would probably be grateful your were dealing with this.

Sorry guys - I'm still having a hard time coming to terms with the fact that even though there is documented info proving $100,000+ worth of cash / comics sitting with this guy - and you have written proof he won't send them back - that the Police will refuse to help.

I can't think of any other Western nation where this would be deemed acceptable.

What a joke.

On 11/21/2023 at 7:34 PM, Beige said:

Wow.

That is awful. I actually think our Police here are OK - they certainly would make a visit if I was to make a complaint such as this.

I had no idea your Police were so.......I dunno what word to use tbh. Non-active, as opposed to pro-active.

So if you saw a cop car outside of Hero - and told them he had stolen your books, and you could prove they were yours - they wouldn't even get out of the car?

That's absurd.

Not even if you make a written statement accusing Hero's of theft, with proof of purchase and delivery to Hero's and they won't do anything even then?

Seriously?

That's insane.

The guy above sent him $11,000 and 15 valuable books.

That's not enough to get a cop to visit Hero's address?

That's absolutely bloody ridiculous.

Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.

On 11/21/2023 at 5:42 PM, Beige said:

If you are close - why not visit the local Police and show them this thread?

I'm sure the aggrieved parties would send you book details and their contact info prior to a visit to the station.

I have no reason to doubt @Sauce Dog  above - but that's an absurd take on things by the Police Department.

Go visit the Police Station and see how you go - if they can spare an officer, and you have the info about which books are there, then Mike would probably be grateful your were dealing with this.

Sorry guys - I'm still having a hard time coming to terms with the fact that even though there is documented info proving $100,000+ worth of cash / comics sitting with this guy - and you have written proof he won't send them back - that the Police will refuse to help.

I can't think of any other Western nation where this would be deemed acceptable.

What a joke.

I think most people have very little contact with law enforcement in general, and what you mostly hear about stolen property is someone takes a report and it gets round-filed (thanks, television!).  If I understand the situation, I believe this could be either a small City Police Department or perhaps a County Sheriff.  It's a mostly rural area in any case.  I have no problem contacting law enforcement, even if it's only to get advice to discuss options.  I agree they'll probably be interested in helping - BUT I do wonder if an actual criminal case will only delay return of the books.

On 11/22/2023 at 12:58 PM, mattn792 said:

Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.

So you think they WOULD  do something, but people are saying they won't because they are too scared to confront this guy?

This whole thing seems bonkers.

@MattTheDuck - please don’t show up at Hero’s door unannounced, the guy is unhinged.  No telling how he might react.

You are very well positioned to represent every known victim in a discussion with the local police though.  If you take them a thorough accounting of all the known cash and book losses that can be compiled from victimized board members, and then present that in conjunction with his statements about shutting down and declaring bankruptcy while still knowingly taking on new business, you’ve made a pretty good case of his intent to defraud.

And a smaller department is quite likely to jump at working up a six, maybe seven figure fraud case.

On 11/21/2023 at 8:01 PM, Beige said:

So you think they WOULD  do something, but people are saying they won't because they are too scared to confront this guy?

This whole thing seems bonkers.

There’s no reason for the police to be scared of confronting in regard to his actions, and this is not a typical stolen property case.  The perp, the location, the victims, and substantial evidence are already known.  

This isn’t a case of “someone ransacked my open garage at 2 am.”

On 11/21/2023 at 6:02 PM, mattn792 said:

please don’t show up at Hero’s door unannounced

Never fear.  I'm no genius but I'm also not a complete idjit :)

I have no interest in confrontation in this matter.  There will have to be an agreement with Hero ahead of time - if that has to include law enforcement, then it will.

On 11/21/2023 at 8:00 PM, Sauce Dog said:

No, that is not their job. The police are not going to investigate this if you just walk in and tell em some mean man isn't giving you back your funny books. This has to go through actual legal channels to get any sort of traction, a process that can be very expensive and time consuming (hence why one-off individuals who are wronged often cannot do anything meaningful about it). Cops won't even investigate if you tell them exactly where your stolen car is currently located (seriously...it is a very sad common occurrence at this point both in the USA and Canada). Sure you can go in and make a complaint there, but let's be honest...it isn't going to amount to much other then a paper in a file until someone with means/status comes along to complain or take legal action they can afford to bankroll themselves. 

For most people without the funds/time the most they can do often amounts to only registering a complaint through proper channels(such as justice.oregon.gov), and mayyybeee if they are well off enough start to fight in small claims court.

It's an unfortunate response,  but not surprising - you were the only one who tried to defend him.  

What a mess! 

On 11/22/2023 at 1:14 PM, wombat said:

I have no idea what people can do to at least protect the books that Hero has, but he may very well die. Then what?

Do you believe the whole death's door thing? It seems rather convenient that he's constantly at death's door yet keeps talking in new books somehow. 

Death aside, even if he sends back the books, he still stole what amounts to hundreds of thousands of dollars over years and years. 

Even since the original thread started,  he's had plenty of time to ship books back! Especially these older orders that have been sitting for years and years. 

I'm not a lawyer or a cop,  but I have to imagine this level of fraud would result in an arrest and restitution.  The unfortunate part about restitution is,  you can't get blood from a stone. I'm sure there is Bankruptcy and selling his home,  but I can't see a scenario where all the victims are made whole.