• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hero Restoration, Anyone know the latest?
24 24

1,469 posts in this topic

On 6/23/2024 at 12:06 PM, Nilo2 said:

OK. It looks like many of these books were graded together at CGC. The Tec 29 (cert # 4401912002) was graded on 3/22/24. The same day that @Winsomesixsquid's AF15 was graded (cert # 4401912003). My AF15 (cert # 4411098010) was graded on the same day as the other restored AF15 (cert # 4411098012) that "humble cow" is consigning through MCS. Makes it very hard to believe that "Humble Cow" doesn't know the provenance of these books and likely points to many of them being stolen.

Seems like they're using two different accounts.

Edited by Semicentennial

On 6/23/2024 at 3:06 PM, Nilo2 said:

OK. It looks like many of these books were graded together at CGC. The Tec 29 (cert # 4401912002) was graded on 3/22/24. The same day that @Winsomesixsquid's AF15 was graded (cert # 4401912003). My AF15 (cert # 4411098010) was graded on the same day as the other restored AF15 (cert # 4411098012) that "humble cow" is consigning through MCS. Makes it very hard to believe that "Humble Cow" doesn't know the provenance of these books and likely points to many of them being stolen.

Great Detective work. So whether or not Humble Cow is Mike, they seem to be associated at some level.  

On 6/23/2024 at 12:06 PM, Nilo2 said:

These are 2 separate submissions the first is a 3 book sub the other is an 18 book submission. But yeah, many of the books from these 2 subs are listed by humble cow in MCS.

In addition to what you mentioned from the first sub 4401812001 is also on sale:IMG_3093.thumb.jpeg.61b001baaa94d128dd96751756b52b44.jpeg

For the second sub in addition to what you provided with the AF15’s from the same sub the seller also has listed most of the other books which include several individually slabbed pages from a Batman 1 such as 4411098008:

IMG_3094.thumb.jpeg.fa2d0d473280e0428edd72719502140e.jpeg

I know someone mentioned the interiors of another GA bat book being different upon return… not sure if anyone is missing the interiors on a Batman 1 but there’s quite a few pages that look like they might have been subbed to be “sold for parts” from a Batman 1.

On 6/23/2024 at 4:20 PM, Mr. Zipper said:

I believe this is the answer. It’s highly unlikely someone who knowingly bought a bunch of stolen books is going to send them to be graded and then list them in a prominent marketplace in such a short period of time. It’s hard to believe someone would be that stupid. Especially high profile books that have distinctive markings like the AF 15.

If humble cow is indeed an innocent middle man he/she should have known better. The books must have been "acquired" at ridiculously low prices to justify the flip (grading fees, MCS fees) and still come out with a solid margin. If someone had approached me with a batch of silver and gold grails, including multiple copies of AF15's and offered them at a fraction of market value I'd be very suspicious. It's the old adage: "If somethings too good to be true, it usually is"...  I still think if it isn't Mike, it's someone he knows well.

On 6/23/2024 at 11:24 AM, Nilo2 said:

Unfortunately, I didn’t check to see who the consignor was on MCS’ site before they removed my book. Wouldn’t be surprised if it was the same handle though. Either way, “humble cow” has some explaining to due at a bare minimum. @Winsomesixsquid, make sure you copy the detective from the Linn County Sheriff’s office on your communications to MCS. Hopefully you are already in contact but if you need the contact info DM me.

I've already reached out to the detective about my book being the site. 

On 6/23/2024 at 1:06 PM, Nilo2 said:

Very interesting. Yes I agree that "humble cow's" books should be taken off of MCS. Like everyone has been saying, it's crazy that someone would knowingly put stolen books on a site as popular in the community as MCS.

On 6/24/2024 at 2:04 AM, flchris said:

Interestingly, isn’t “humble cow” an ice cream brand in the northwest?

Slightly off topic, but how do you find a consignor’s screen name on MCS?

It is only possible if consignor has requested MCS to set up their own ‘shop” within MCS. For consignors who have the name is shown with the listing. If you click on the name you get to their “shop” within MCS

https://www.mycomicshop.com/stores/humble cow

IMG_7101.jpeg

On 6/23/2024 at 6:08 PM, Poka said:

It is only possible if consignor has requested MCS to set up their own ‘shop” within MCS. For consignors who have the name is shown with the listing. If you click on the name you get to their “shop” within MCS

https://www.mycomicshop.com/stores/humble cow

Ah thanks!

On 6/23/2024 at 6:55 PM, Point Five said:

I don't know humble cow personally, but as a regular customer of MCS I've seen their consignments for years. They have long had a rich deep supply of interesting golden age... not sure about silver age since I don't check those listings, but they've been a regular consignor on MCS for a very long time. They are highly unlikely to be Mike (IMO) since they traffic in very different books, and I'd be surprised if it weren't the case that they bought the Hero books unknowingly.

@Point Five, thank you for the background. I stand corrected and it seems like humble cow is likely another victim in this sordid sorry mess. Hopefully the investigating authorities can work with MCS and the consignor to determine how Mike fenced these books and hold him to account for the damage he has caused for so many.

On 6/24/2024 at 11:33 AM, Sauce Dog said:

I have spoken with MCS and it sounds like Humble Cow did in fact simply purchase a 'bad batch' of comics (though any specifics such as where he got them, how much - if anything - he knew, who was involved etc, are things I do not know and they did not say) and they are keeping tabs on both the situation as well as potential problem books. If anyone else notices other such implicated books being listed on their website please reach out to them https://www.mycomicshop.com/help

They have also removed the Detective Comics #29 interior from their site...because it is super obvious whose book that is and that Mike's work damaged it like it did the other returned pieces of the customers order (as seen on Kenny's instagram).

When you consign with MCS do you have to send the books to them? Just wondering if they have the books on site or not.

On 6/24/2024 at 12:50 PM, Winsomesixsquid said:

When you consign with MCS do you have to send the books to them? Just wondering if they have the books on site or not.

yes to both I believe