• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help Identifying a Comic Character - SOLVED Thanks to the CGC Board Detectives!

26 posts in this topic

This is a piece by Tim Sale done in 2005, and it might have been for a European publisher - I am just trying to figure out who the female character might be (or the googley-eyed monster for that matter). Any help is appreciated!

TimSaleUnknown2005European11x17.thumb.jpg.a9af56eed537b4c75e2f8c6a003278a5.jpg

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 11/11/2023 at 2:36 PM, Robot Man said:

Kind of resembles Elastic girl from the Incredibles?

IMG_7732.webp

That was where I went to first, since I couldn't really remember The Incredibles. That Sale piece has a retro-60s Mod kinda style to the costume, so I wasn't sure if it was an old character or what. I also wondered if this character had "shrinking" power, since she appears to be standing on the monsters forehead.

On 11/11/2023 at 9:03 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Fairly generic costume.

Apart from the hair length, reminds me of this one…

866979.jpg

She's got some MAN FEET on that cover.

I think there is a line of thinking that is correct, of all those mentioned. When first posted I thought the "invisibles" as well, and upon a screen shot image search, it came up with Medusa as well. Not definitively enough as an example in a page or a cover, and search terms of "Tim Sale 2005" didn't help me narrow it down. The Medusa image search didn't come as close to the image, but it IS what it suggested.

Right track probably though :) 

Maybe her hovering over 2 giant olives is a clue (shrug)

On 11/12/2023 at 8:02 AM, shadroch said:

My first impression is a grown-up version of the girl from Space Ghost.

She does have a really similar look to Jan from Space Ghost - the only thing missing is the SG insignia on her outfit.

I continue to look, thanks to everyone for suggestions.

Very tough one. Almost seems obvious I've seen somewhere, but maybe not. Also, with the cat, and the resemblance to Incredibles - strikes me as a cartoon. Out of curiosity, how do you know for certain it is Tim Sale? Is it possibly another TS? I noticed he doesn't very often sign in that box format.

Edited by bronze_rules

On 11/13/2023 at 8:30 PM, bronze_rules said:

Very tough one. Almost seems obvious I've seen somewhere, but maybe not. Also, with the cat, and the resemblance to Incredibles - strikes me as a cartoon. Out of curiosity, how do you know for certain it is Tim Sale? Is it possibly another TS? I noticed he doesn't very often sign in that box format.

The dealer I bought it from had spoken with Tim years ago and that it was likely a publisher comp, as it's 11x17 and Tim said that he doesn't do sketches or commissions that size. He just couldn't remember what it was for, and everyone's guess (which is probably accurate) is that it's unpublished. But, my thinking is that the character is established and hopefully I can figure out who she is (or who the monster is) just to have a point of reference.

From what I can tell, the signatures around that era are stacked initials (no box), stacked last name (box and no box), last name and date across one line, and then you have the piece above which is stacked initials with box. I found an older piece with that same signature, but he's all over the board on how he signed stuff:

41dYn90o_2402221855021sbpi.thumb.jpg.2a6c90f8fc71b29ab23a75a2445a98b5.jpg

On 11/14/2023 at 5:23 PM, Dr. Balls said:

The dealer I bought it from had spoken with Tim years ago and that it was likely a publisher comp, as it's 11x17 and Tim said that he doesn't do sketches or commissions that size. He just couldn't remember what it was for, and everyone's guess (which is probably accurate) is that it's unpublished. But, my thinking is that the character is established and hopefully I can figure out who she is (or who the monster is) just to have a point of reference.

From what I can tell, the signatures around that era are stacked initials (no box), stacked last name (box and no box), last name and date across one line, and then you have the piece above which is stacked initials with box. I found an older piece with that same signature, but he's all over the board on how he signed stuff:

Maybe just me, but when I see that black thing under her, I don't think of it as a monster, but more of a cartoon black cat - like a stuffed cat toy cartoon. Also, I think of her face as like a frank miller drawing for some reason. I could find a bunch of costumes like that for generic 'hero' characters, but not any specific known character (boots, gloves, mask etc.). 

On 11/14/2023 at 10:02 PM, DougC said:

I think this just might be a non-referenced fun drawing and we are looking to much into it for character meaning.

I did take a swing at it from a different angle thinking the below drawing looked familiar but didn't turn up anything meaningful outside of a ton of parody art (not from Tim).

Capture.JPG.ece3baae49b05b64f7bc5140186ff33c.JPG

That very well may be - could just be a generic character costume for the sake of drawing it. 

On 11/11/2023 at 3:23 PM, Dr. Balls said:

This is a piece by Tim Sale done in 2005, and it might have been for a European publisher - I am just trying to figure out who the female character might be (or the googley-eyed monster for that matter). Any help is appreciated!

TimSaleUnknown2005European11x17.thumb.jpg.a9af56eed537b4c75e2f8c6a003278a5.jpg

For some reason, each time I look at this I want to search Heathcliff or Felix the Cat thinking maybe there was a storyline involving a hero.