• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your budget for a typical non-key issue comic, for each age?
1 1

37 posts in this topic

Admittedly, I'm new to comic collecting, but I'd like to get an idea for what people consider to be "normal" in terms of how much they're willing to put in for each individual issue, especially in series/runs.

I've just finished collecting the entire Chip 'n' Dale series (Golden Age, Silver Age, and Modern Age), at an average cost of around ~$5.80 USD per issue, after shipping. (The shipping was the worst part, not the actual comics themselves, since I live in Canada.)

I've started up a Tom & Jerry collection, and although issues from Tom & Jerry Comics #60 and onwards can be acquired (with some patience) at around the same cost on average, the issues before that, Our Gang #1-59, are basically relics of the Golden Age and will cost anywhere from $10-40 USD (or more) each for generally a Good grade (before shipping). This looks a bit daunting to me, as someone expanding from a tighter budget who is concerned about damaged comics.

How do you people approach your collection? Just be patient and wait for cheap copies, or maybe splurge once a month for a single issue after getting your paycheck?

Edited by stormflora

Eighty to ninety percent of today's comics can be bought for half price or less a few months after release.  Buying back issues is much cheaper and easier. 

You might consider that.

I'll buy most SA books I find under $5, and BA books in VF or so for $2 or less.

Shipping is important, and something rookies often overlook.  Buying ten books from one person saves you compared to ten individual sellers. Establish relationships with sellers, and they might hold books for you to combine shipping.

Mycomicshop has one-dollar sales every week. The inventory switches weekly, and its a great way to try a new series.

Edited by shadroch

Hard to put set rule on this as it depends on what grade you are willing to accept as your "basement" and era/genre you are interested in. For me, I look for VF or better in Bronze and F or better in Silver. I'm willing to sacrifice on grade for keys, more so in silver. Cost wise, I just try and be educated and look for deals around 20 - 30% under "guide" if at all possible. With patience you can usually find some good deals to fill runs on most non-keys.

I can't say I have a "budget" per se.  I buy across all ages and my primary concern is books I either don't have from the collecting I did in the 70s which yielded lots of lower-grade Silver & Bronze Age Marvels and some Bronze Age subscription copies.  In a general sort of way I'm trying to upgrade all these books but I'm in no hurry.  My personal floor is 8.5/VF+ unless we're talking about the first 20 issues of the main Marvel titles or big keys in which case I take affordability into account and can get down into the 4-6 range.  I buy almost exclusively raw books which challenges my grade floor(s).  I have a GPA subscription and try to stay close to the prices listed there, although they're far from a comprehensive FMV view.  Lots of people use eBay prices paid.

I've been buying pretty aggressively over the last couple of years, which means I've been at least temporarily overpaying for some of these books. I can live with it.

Interesting to see how everyone has a different take and approach to comic collecting. There's all sorts of people across the globe, I suppose.

In that case, if we redirect the topic a bit: What is the single-most expensive splurge on a single issue you've made to date? If you don't mind sharing, that is.

It wouldn't be fair for me not to share myself, although I'm nothing close to an enthusiast as most here. So far, the most expensive individual issues range in the $12-15 USD area, after shipping. It's not much, but when I'm buying an entire series of 100+ comics, it feels like a lot (to me) for a single issue compared to the others. Sadly, I don't have mountains of disposable income to throw at comics, so I try to stay under a budget.

For now, I collect two eras, Golden Age and Bronze Age

For GA:
Common books: $100-$150 is usually my max, raw - low grade beaters, etc. I sometimes pick these up from time to time when I get an itch to pad my PCH stuff. I usually have to hunt around for them, send offers, etc.

For BA:
High grade horror-related common books: $20 + shipping is what I try to find in VF or better, but that's been increasingly difficult the past 6 months, so I'm creeping up to that $30-$40 range for VF or better, raw.
$100 for graded books is generally my max, but most importantly, is my goal is to always get it at least a couple bucks under GPA. 

Edited by Dr. Balls

Run of the mill 1970s books, in an average VG to Fine grade, I try not to pay more than £6 for (plus shipping, or postage as we call it here.) That's about $7.50 plus shipping. If I get a bee in my bonnet I may search extensively for one issue for a while and see what grades/prices are like and either adjust what I will have to pay (usually upwards,) or shrug and accept that books out of my reach for now at least, until I next get fixated on it. Usually if I'm patient, a book comes along in a grade I can accept for a price I'm willing to pay. But we're talking about books less than $25 as it's rare that I can spend more on one book lately. A $25 book would not be the norm. Current obsessions have included Kamandi (only the Kirby issues) and Doctor Strange's short original run 169 to 183. Low grades have had to suffice but if I like a book it gets a lot of handling. Colan/Palmer artwork from that run is pure joy to look at.

On 11/23/2023 at 7:16 AM, Dr. Balls said:

For now, I collect two eras, Golden Age and Bronze Age

For GA:
Common books: $100-$150 is usually my max, raw - low grade beaters, etc. I sometimes pick these up from time to time when I get an itch to pad my PCH stuff. I usually have to hunt around for them, send offers, etc.

For BA:
High grade horror-related common books: $20 + shipping is what I try to find in VF or better, but that's been increasingly difficult the past 6 months, so I'm creeping up to that $30-$40 range for VF or better, raw.
$100 for graded books is generally my max, but most importantly, is my goal is to always get it at least a couple bucks under GPA. 

Interesting, it seems you have a higher budget for your comic collection, in my eyes. Do you try to collect lengthy series, or just a few specific issues?

On 11/23/2023 at 8:14 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

Run of the mill 1970s books, in an average VG to Fine grade, I try not to pay more than £6 for (plus shipping, or postage as we call it here.) That's about $7.50 plus shipping. If I get a bee in my bonnet I may search extensively for one issue for a while and see what grades/prices are like and either adjust what I will have to pay (usually upwards,) or shrug and accept that books out of my reach for now at least, until I next get fixated on it. Usually if I'm patient, a book comes along in a grade I can accept for a price I'm willing to pay. But we're talking about books less than $25 as it's rare that I can spend more on one book lately. A $25 book would not be the norm. Current obsessions have included Kamandi (only the Kirby issues) and Doctor Strange's short original run 169 to 183. Low grades have had to suffice but if I like a book it gets a lot of handling. Colan/Palmer artwork from that run is pure joy to look at.

Sounds very similar to my situation. Low budget per issue, especially after shipping is considered. At the moment, I'm trying very hard to stick to lots, as they provide the best value. And I've enlisted the assistance of a forwarder in America to try to keep the shipping costs lower. A single order from America requires anywhere from $20-25 CAD at the minimum, while going with the forwarder is probably going to be more like $10-15 CAD per parcel. (I'm not 100% sure right now though, as it's based on packaging labour and weighted shipping, which I'll have to find out once everything has arrived at their place.)

I think the biggest peeve with buying comics on eBay has got to be the lack of communication sometimes (sellers not actively checking their messages) and not listing the exact issue number of each comic (which forces you to have to sift through cover art to try to figure out which one is which).

On 11/23/2023 at 9:41 AM, bc said:

HT_1.thumb.jpg.7bc5f28ea96688940397f80dea336352.jpg

-bc

And... For the comic-ally oblivious, how much is that worth?

Also, I just realized something. The CGC note on that slab states that there's tape within, but that is not considered restoration. I wonder if using transparent paper tape on a graded comic would still make it fall under the Universal grade, or would it be marked as a Restoration grade? Just some brainstorming here. Mending with Japanese paper would likely convert it to Restoration grade, but tape might just knock the grade down a notch while still keeping it Universal grade. Maybe someone at CGC could clue in for me here.