• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Jan 11-14, 2024 Auction
3 3

267 posts in this topic

On 1/21/2024 at 10:26 AM, MAR1979 said:

Perhaps the new owner will splurge for stats that do not appear to have been created by a small child using a 1990 era fax machine ?

Hopefully, the new owner isn’t a dealer who decides to fix it by replacing the stat with a new one:

“Legion of Superheroes #1”

On 1/20/2024 at 10:20 PM, Ted_L said:

Belated comment on the Cardy Superboy #197 cover -- that was the first issue where the Legion took over the book from Superboy, so for Legion fans, it's basically the #1 issue of their longest running series.  This is equivalent to Incredible Hulk #102 or Captain America #100 -- a first issue without the #1 on it.  I guess I'm a big Legion fan, because that price didn't seem so crazy to me and it's also a nice image by Cardy.

I agree that the replacement stat is ugly!  Hopefully the new owner will have that redone by a professional.

It was also reused as the cover for Vol 5 of the LSH "phone book" black and white reprints.

image.jpeg.38bd6ee909208071de854715d9d69c86.jpeg

On 1/19/2024 at 11:20 PM, inovrmihd said:

Regarding the DD 181 page, how would you compare it to the one in the upcoming auction?  I don’t own a Miller DD page but am actively looking for one and was very tempted on the 181 page.  It doesn't have DD in it, but is that really what fans of Miller’s work are looking for?  I always thought it was the surrounding characters that he had the most profound impact on (Bullseye, Kingpin, Punisher, and obviously Electra and Stick).  Yeah, ideally I would want DD interacting with them, but if they are “artistically equal”, does a Bullseye only page rank below a DD only page (and I am leaving out the 181 bonus points)?  Also, and I don’t have the proper words for this but hopefully you get my point, but isn’t the shading, motion and black and white contrasts that are on this page, especially the 4th panel, what made Miller’s work so groundbreaking?  Very interested in what an expert has to say (Gene, anyone else feel free to chime in).  

Re: DD #181 page in the last auction vs. DD #174 page in this auction

I think the #181 page is better drawn, better looking and is from a more important issue, but the #174 page has Daredevil fighting The Hand which is probably what more people are looking for content-wise than a Bullseye-only page. There are certainly those who collect Miller for the artistic elements and will prefer the #181 page, but, I think more people would want Daredevil on the page, in action. I think a Daredevil-only page > a Bullseye-only page, though, Elektra+Bullseye (the #181 fight sequence) > any page featuring Daredevil in the run. And given the scarcity of #168-181 Elektra pages (and she being a major creation of Miller's), I think many of those would also be > Daredevil-only pages. 

Given where prices are these days, if you are looking for a "one and done" type of example, I think you have to go with the #174 page. If you like the #181 page better from an artistic standpoint, that's fine, but, then I think you have to ask yourself whether that's enough or whether you still need a page with Daredevil on it as well to fill that hole. 2c 

On 1/30/2024 at 8:25 AM, delekkerste said:

Re: DD #181 page in the last auction vs. DD #174 page in this auction

I think the #181 page is better drawn, better looking and is from a more important issue, but the #174 page has Daredevil fighting The Hand which is probably what more people are looking for content-wise than a Bullseye-only page. There are certainly those who collect Miller for the artistic elements and will prefer the #181 page, but, I think more people would want Daredevil on the page, in action. I think a Daredevil-only page > a Bullseye-only page, though, Elektra+Bullseye (the #181 fight sequence) > any page featuring Daredevil in the run. And given the scarcity of #168-181 Elektra pages (and she being a major creation of Miller's), I think many of those would also be > Daredevil-only pages. 

Given where prices are these days, if you are looking for a "one and done" type of example, I think you have to go with the #174 page. If you like the #181 page better from an artistic standpoint, that's fine, but, then I think you have to ask yourself whether that's enough or whether you still need a page with Daredevil on it as well to fill that hole. 2c 

I can't find the thread at the moment, but on a collecting goal thread I think in 2023, one of my two goals was a Miller Daredevil page fighting ninjas, so subject matter this is pretty much exactly what I wanted.  I can't think of the right words to phrase this, and Gene mentioned "artistic elements" in the post above, but to my not very trained eye, the page doesn't scream "Miller".  Maybe I am just trying to talk myself out of spending a lot of money.  Would someone please (Gene or Scott or somebody who has expertise in Miller) mind (and send me PM if you don't want to do it publicly).elaborating on the "artistic elements" on this page?  Thanks in advance.

On an unrelated note, there were a few really great pages of the Kirigi character that I enjoyed looking at on CAF..  I never thought to inquire if they were for sale (they weren't marked as such).  They are not there anymore.  On the off chance the owner is reading this and they were taken down in anticipation of selling, please drop me a line as I would be interested.;.  

On 2/5/2024 at 1:31 PM, inovrmihd said:

I can't find the thread at the moment, but on a collecting goal thread I think in 2023, one of my two goals was a Miller Daredevil page fighting ninjas, so subject matter this is pretty much exactly what I wanted.  I can't think of the right words to phrase this, and Gene mentioned "artistic elements" in the post above, but to my not very trained eye, the page doesn't scream "Miller".  Maybe I am just trying to talk myself out of spending a lot of money.  Would someone please (Gene or Scott or somebody who has expertise in Miller) mind (and send me PM if you don't want to do it publicly).elaborating on the "artistic elements" on this page?  Thanks in advance.

Well, it's got Daredevil fighting The Hand and DD is drawn in a variety of Miller-esque fighting poses. I would say that there are more desirable 4-panel layouts (Lots. Of. Crates.) that could have given the fight panels more breathing room, but, at the end of the day, it's Daredevil fighting ninjas from a memorable part of the run with full Miller scripts and pencils. Is it the best Miller DD piece? No, but, it's an excellent example and you could certainly do a lot worse IMO...

On 2/5/2024 at 1:31 PM, inovrmihd said:

On an unrelated note, there were a few really great pages of the Kirigi character that I enjoyed looking at on CAF..  I never thought to inquire if they were for sale (they weren't marked as such).  They are not there anymore.  On the off chance the owner is reading this and they were taken down in anticipation of selling, please drop me a line as I would be interested.;.  

I know where some of them are but know it would take unfathomable money to pry them out of their owners' collections. 

On 12/7/2023 at 10:05 AM, delekkerste said:

There are a lot of wonderful pieces of DC original art in this sale from the estate of Kevin Brogan, who sadly passed away last month aged just 62. People here may have seen him at conventions and known him as the DC/Mid-Atlantic representative for the Hero Initiative charity. I met him a number of times over the years and actually had lunch with him just this past May. I was shocked to learn of his untimely passing recently. :frown:

The art pieces are labeled "From the Estate of Kevin Brogan" but I suspect that some/all of these big Silver Age DC books may be from the estate as well, as that was very much his jam. R.I.P. Kevin. :sorry: 

I think you will find his pieces on CAF under DC Man.