• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Jan 11-14, 2024 Auction
3 3

267 posts in this topic

On 1/12/2024 at 6:42 AM, delekkerste said:

The #181 page surprised me too. Beautiful page, but, I didn't think a standalone Bullseye page would fetch a price like that. Standalone Elektra, sure, as that's Miller's creation and #168-181 pages featuring the character are the most prized, but, Bullseye only surprised me. Guessing it was probably a throwdown between two people who really wanted this page and that the 2nd underbidder was miles away. 

I'd be more inclined to call this one an outlier, though, and not Miller DD as the new Miller DKR. Would need to see more sales like this one to convince me, personally. 

Speaking of Daredevil, the #42 cover (1st Jester appearance) selling for $49.6K yesterday seemed like a bargain for the buyer. 

Miller DD page was crazy high

The Daredevil cover seemed like a bargain to me.

On 1/12/2024 at 1:25 PM, Kryptic1 said:

Wow, $102k for the Quesada Daredevil cover.  At this rate, Mandel is going to have enough money for another X-Wing by the end of the auction.

That one really shocked me.  Nice image but WOW.

Seems the going rate for a Norem Savage Sword cover is around $20k. Two reasons I wasn’t interested in bidding on today’s were the sail makes the painting seem unfinished to my eye and the ocean is green not blue?

IMG_0806.jpeg

On 1/12/2024 at 2:25 PM, Kryptic1 said:

Wow, $102k for the Quesada Daredevil cover.  At this rate, Mandel is going to have enough money for another X-Wing by the end of the auction.

If one cover from that run was going to pop in big way, it was this one. 

On 1/12/2024 at 3:44 PM, ThothAmon said:

Seems the going rate for a Norem Savage Sword cover is around $20k.

Ughhhh...I had two great Norem SSOC covers and sold or traded both of them during The Great Painted Comic & Illustration Art Purge from my collection. I regret selling/trading very little, but, not keeping at least one of those Norem covers is one of the few regrets I do have.  And with prices at $20K+ now for lesser examples, regrets they will remain. :cry: 

On 1/12/2024 at 12:25 PM, Kryptic1 said:

Yeah, I don’t follow that section of the market, so glad I wasn’t the only one surprised by that price. :whatthe:

On 1/12/2024 at 2:13 PM, stinkininkin said:

Nice Wildcats art keeps doing well. I held all of mine for about 20 years and started selling it for amounts in the $100's, forgetting that it takes 30 years for fans to age into prime nostalgia buyers! lol Now that stuff is going for tens of thousands, and I'm down to my last half dozen pages or so. You'd think my experience prematurely selling my Xmen art would have taught me something!

I also thought the hush pages did well in the auction as well always love that run you guys did!

On 1/12/2024 at 1:13 PM, stinkininkin said:

Nice Wildcats art keeps doing well. I held all of mine for about 20 years and started selling it for amounts in the $100's, forgetting that it takes 30 years for fans to age into prime nostalgia buyers! lol Now that stuff is going for tens of thousands, and I'm down to my last half dozen pages or so. You'd think my experience prematurely selling my Xmen art would have taught me something!

Yeah - and how do I feel, I acquired two from you in a 2009 trade and sold one in 2013 for $280 - argh - but happy to have kept the other!

On 1/12/2024 at 12:44 PM, ThothAmon said:

Seems the going rate for a Norem Savage Sword cover is around $20k. Two reasons I wasn’t interested in bidding on today’s were the sail makes the painting seem unfinished to my eye and the ocean is green not blue?

IMG_0806.jpeg

So it's in the Atlantic. 

On 1/12/2024 at 10:05 AM, KirbyCollector said:

Based on what? Outside of comics fans, he's a kiddie cartoon figure... the only relevant SM to Gen Z is Tom Holland, and most of that is due to Zendaya

Where to start?

So, no, I would argue Miles may be a bit more relevant than you realize, even without any help from Zendaya.  :baiting:

On 1/12/2024 at 12:42 PM, Xatari said:

I’ve used the example recently that I don’t understand the prices for BWS Conan art as it’s irrelevant to me, however, I can understand there is a different generation to which it appeals and thus has value to those that do esteem it differently. 

I’m sure people felt the same when the OA from New Mutants 98, X-Force 1, Lee’s X-Men 1 all started selling for big numbers. “Why would someone pay so much in this market?” 

Hindsight brings much more clarity. Just different perspectives from different collectors.

I gotta agree with you on the BWS. As much as I appreciate the art, I can't imagine a scenario where I'd choose that over countless other things I'd like. Maybe we're in the minority, or maybe Conan is a character that's ebbed in his generation and not really relevant nowadays to satisfy the nostalgia like other characters do for us.

On 1/12/2024 at 5:19 PM, Phill the Governor said:

I gotta agree with you on the BWS. As much as I appreciate the art, I can't imagine a scenario where I'd choose that over countless other things I'd like. Maybe we're in the minority, or maybe Conan is a character that's ebbed in his generation and not really relevant nowadays to satisfy the nostalgia like other characters do for us.

Conan was my gateway to OA collecting in general, specifically the Buscema cover for the movie adaptation (no I don't own it). I remembver early on listening to a Felix podcast and him asking (I think Gene), "Who's going to buy all these Buscema Conan pages." I still wonder that. I think by most measures they should much cheaper than they are. 

On 1/12/2024 at 1:53 PM, KirbyCollector said:

No, I just live in the real world and have 2 young adults who are plugged in and answer questions about these matters... I'm not living in my parents' basement playing video games in a shirt stained with cheese doodles, telling myself my longboxes will make me a millionaire 

I see you edited your comment. Maybe it was because it originally said “I’m not living in my parents’ basement NOW in a shirt stained with cheese doodles BECAUSE MY MOM WASHED IT AFTER MAKING ME TAKE IT OFF, telling myself my longboxes will make me a millionaire ANYMORE.” 😂