• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Jan 11-14, 2024 Auction
3 3

267 posts in this topic

On 1/12/2024 at 5:16 PM, Kryptic1 said:

As I watched the impressive prices that Dave Mandel’s art was selling for, I kept thinking back to Felix’s podcast where Dave ended the description of each piece by saying “I’ve got ten of these, and this is the worst one.”

Man, that kept echoing for me too.  Crazy!  

On 1/13/2024 at 9:35 AM, Matches_Malone said:

The Quesada market has been pretty strong lately.

Agreed. Glad I picked up a DD/Bullseye page from the run before this. 

On 12/21/2023 at 11:21 AM, DougC said:

I am not the typical OA buyer as I rarely buy anything and what I do buy is usually in the $500 range. I knew the Death: the Time of Your Life post card art was coming to auction and it is my favorite piece as I used that post card as a book mark for over a decade. So I decided I would save up a bit and take a stab at it; I very foolishly thought 5K would have given me a decent shot since it was a smaller piece and only used in promotional advertisements.

I am at least glad I found out early that I was being naive... lol.

image.png.e401e426a0919adde1973e993fdadc1d.png

I just wanted to laugh at myself a bit and was truly shocked how much the final was...55k before BP

image.thumb.png.2698ebdba834a8cd9c3ae756a17d6b6a.png

On 1/13/2024 at 7:02 PM, DougC said:

I just wanted to laugh at myself a bit and was truly shocked how much the final was...55k before BP

image.thumb.png.2698ebdba834a8cd9c3ae756a17d6b6a.png

I thought I had some experience and expertise about sandman and its related material. This image fetched at least 6/7X my expectations.

man, I am out.

Edited by pestonaccio

On 1/13/2024 at 1:43 PM, pestonaccio said:

I think I had some experience when it comes to sandman and it’s related material. This image was at least 6/7X my expectations.

man, I am out.

You thought the Death was 6-7x your expectations?

This image was published and republished everywhere.  It was far more than just ‘postcard art’ and it’s one of the top two images of Death.

I was thinking $30K was the bare minimum for this piece.

additionally, the Season of Mists page also did remarkably well at $60K.  So even with all of the Sandman artwork available over the past year, the market seems to be absorbing it favourably 

image.thumb.png.79ffae9a5f77fb7c83cfb966928cfada.png

On 1/13/2024 at 8:05 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

You thought the Death was 6-7x your expectations?

This image was published and republished everywhere.  It was far more than just ‘postcard art’ and it’s one of the top two images of Death.

I was thinking $30K was the bare minimum for this piece.

additionally, the Season of Mists page also did remarkably well at $60K.  So even with all of the Sandman artwork available over the past year, the market seems to be absorbing it favourably 

image.thumb.png.79ffae9a5f77fb7c83cfb966928cfada.png

It is an iconic piece for sure. But you can get a page from THCOL for a fraction of that price. Personally, being into storytelling and art (and being sandman a lot about word building) I prefer panel pages over illustrations. I had stalked David in the past in order to acquire this piece but he never wanted to sell. 

that sandman piece is great but 60k is bonkers. I have A better piece from that storyline. For that amount I would definitely sell.

Edited by pestonaccio

The Seasons of Mist page is much more insane in my mind. Maybe craziest results in the auction so far. I was watching the live bidding and was floored watching it. 
It seemed like the Sandman market pulled back a bit post show hype, but with these two results maybe that’s over and then some.

On 1/13/2024 at 2:10 PM, pestonaccio said:

It is an iconic piece for sure. But you can get a page from THCOL for a fraction of that price. 

Yes, you can, but it’s not the same thing, right?

full disclosure: I sold two pages from THCOL a few years ago. One went for nearly the same price as this ‘postcard’ art piece, while the other was a multi panel panel with large images of Death- it went for  $ tens of thousands.

On 1/13/2024 at 9:34 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Yes, you can, but it’s not the same thing, right?

full disclosure: I sold two pages from THCOL a few years ago. One went for nearly the same price as this ‘postcard’ art piece, while the other was a multi panel panel with large images of Death- it went for  $ tens of thousands.

I have traded a very nice THCOL page before covid for 10/15K max and it was a very good example. Dunno what page can fetch 60k from the mini. Again, I have a wonderful example and am ready to sell for that amount. 

I hope you agree that the season of mist page result is out of this world.

On 1/13/2024 at 6:14 PM, pestonaccio said:

I have traded a very nice THCOL page before covid for 10/15K max and it was a very good example. Dunno what page can fetch 60k from the mini. Again, I have a wonderful example and am ready to sell for that amount. 

Selling price for a page before Covid might as well be a lifetime ago. (thumbsu

Edited by jjonahjameson11

On 1/14/2024 at 11:07 AM, Jesusjon said:
On 1/14/2024 at 7:14 AM, pestonaccio said:

It’s my favorite page from my favorite issue of my favorite storyline, and I waited 18 years (since I started collecting) for it to surface! :D

Congrats! 

It's a great page with some of Gaiman's best dialogue.  Probably not for those who only want "wall power" action poses.

Edited by tth2