• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Jan 11-14, 2024 Auction
3 3

267 posts in this topic

Seems like Alex Ross may be losing a bit of steam (in this auction at least) 

Crisis on Multiple Earths #4 Superman vs. Captain Marvel Cover Original Art (DC, 2006)

IMG_9735.thumb.jpeg.dcaa759762973858755ba940a2f718e0.jpeg

Alex Ross Amazing Spider-Man #790 Cover Original Art (Marvel, 2017)

IMG_9734.thumb.jpeg.d522051a6d654e4fd0c755f9823ccdb1.jpeg

Edited by gumbydarnit
Added titles

On 1/14/2024 at 7:12 PM, gumbydarnit said:

Seems like Alex Ross may be losing a bit of steam (in this auction at least) 

Crisis on Multiple Earths #4 Superman vs. Captain Marvel Cover Original Art (DC, 2006)

IMG_9735.thumb.jpeg.dcaa759762973858755ba940a2f718e0.jpeg

Alex Ross Amazing Spider-Man #790 Cover Original Art (Marvel, 2017)

IMG_9734.thumb.jpeg.d522051a6d654e4fd0c755f9823ccdb1.jpeg

Knowing what Ross art prices cost when buying them from him, I’d say the sellers both lost quite a bit of cash on each piece.

Ross art hasn’t been really hot for awhile now.

On 1/14/2024 at 11:19 PM, Hekla said:

I know Grasscutter is a popular Usagi storyline, but still an impressive result.

IMG_0797.jpeg

Agree - way higher than I thought (sadly for my bidding).   It is an iconic image though with many main characters and Grasscutter is one of the best Usagi stories, so I can see why people were thirsty. 

Hey Byrne Xmen experts! Might the Xmen 137 page have underperformed a bit? I don't know that market as well as some, but the 81k price seems a tad light? Also thinking about it next to the DD 181 page at 156k--nice pages from big time key issues--but about half the price for the Xmen page with all the main characters, and the DD page that's Bullseye only. I know, kinda apples and oranges in some regards, but the comparison interests me.

Edited by stinkininkin

On 1/15/2024 at 11:24 AM, stinkininkin said:

Hey Byrne Xmen experts! Might the Xmen 137 page have underperformed a bit? I don't know that market as well as some, but the 81k price seems a tad light? Also thinking about it next to the DD 181 page at 156k--nice pages from big time key issues--but about half the price for the Xmen page with all the main characters, and the DD page that's Bullseye only. I know, kinda apples and oranges in some regards, but the comparison interests me.

I'm no expert on Byrne X-Men art values, but I agree that the page sold for less than I thought. I expected it to hit $100k with the entire team ( that center panel is a beaut) in a page from a historic issue.

I only had a small number of lots on my watchlist. These were the main ones worth noting for me:

1) Romita Sr. Spider-Man card art. This piece went to the moon. Absolutely insane price. It's only about 4.5" x 6.5" in size. This sold for just a few thousand on Romita Man's site a couple of years ago, I believe. A few thousand is around what I figured it would still command today. Hitting $13.2k blew me away.

ScreenShot2024-01-15at12_46_18PM.thumb.png.01db945e989ea4b4cc8dd7f2da74e3c1.png

2) Perez Infinity Gauntlet page. I thought this page went low-ish. Not absurdly low, but it is Perez, IG, and Thanos. Pretty good page, in my opinion. I thought this would hit around $12k.

ScreenShot2024-01-15at12_45_59PM.thumb.png.103fef73dabf3d8366932193a1b2cc39.png

3) Bob Larkin X-Men card art from Fleer 1995. This one seems to solidify that 90's card art is no longer cheap. I'd call this a mid-tier piece. Fairly well known character by a fairly well known artist. $5k seems to be the going rate for that level of 90's card art. The last couple of HA auctions have yielded similar results for similar tier card art.

ScreenShot2024-01-15at12_45_37PM.thumb.png.7cec64deded6b7599321ba3ef96fa2ee.png

On 1/15/2024 at 11:14 AM, Fischb1 said:

I bought the Perez IG page. I agree it was lowish. I figured it would sell for 12-14 and I would just watch. Especially with the better (more action filled) Perez IG Thanos pages recently selling in the 20s+. But when no one else bid, I did and won. Time will tell if I got a good deal or if the release of all the Thanos Quest pages has dampered the demand for early 90's Thanos. Even so, that being Lim and this being Perez makes this different imo. I'm happy to add it to my IG collection. 

If anyone else has Infinity Gauntlet pages from book 1 and is considering selling them, I'd love to have a conversation. 

Yeah, I thought that IG1 page was low'ish too.

Same with the Starlin Captain Marvel 25 page for around 5K. It wasn't super content but $5k seems low'ish.

Malvin

On 1/15/2024 at 10:24 AM, stinkininkin said:

Seems off to me as well, if the results were reversed it would make more sense.

Perhaps it’s the fact Frank Miller crossed over into the Hollywood world - that puts more sizzle on his name, or the fact that DD was solely his vision and not a collaboration like Byrne/Claremont on X-Men. Frank Miller - Auteur (Stolen from Felix) may be the ultimate scale tipper for the big spenders.

Both pieces are awesome BTW!!!

I thought the 3 Bagley Spider-Man pages on Sunday were cheap given how expensive his Spidey art has gotten.  On the other hand, this Superboy cover selling for $40k is absolutely insane.  I realize there are some crazy Legion collectors out there, but even $10k for this seems like too much.

IMG_0114.thumb.jpeg.d9b02a9f8767999ac4c9459afe91df33.jpeg

I bought the Perez IG page. I agree it was lowish. I figured it would sell for 12-14 and I would just watch. Especially with the better (more action filled) Perez IG Thanos pages recently selling in the 20s+. But when no one else bid, I did and won. Time will tell if I got a good deal or if the release of all the Thanos Quest pages has dampered the demand for early 90's Thanos. Even so, that being Lim and this being Perez makes this different imo. I'm happy to add it to my IG collection. 

If anyone else has Infinity Gauntlet pages from book 1 and is considering selling them, I'd love to have a conversation. 

This was a good buy. I was lead before it crossed and was shocked it went so low. As mentioned these IG pages with Thanos on them have been trending a lot higher, though I do think if it had better Thanos images it would have hit that $12-15k mark. Interesting thought about the Thanos Quest pages hurting the IG market, that may be the case for now but not long term I’d imagine. Overall, good pickup. 👍

ps- with 500+ lots yesterday a few things did slip between the cracks like this one, but not many. Overall as noted this seemed like an overall very strong auction. 

Edited by 1classics

Not a market I follow, but shouldn't Perez always be priced higher than Lim, all other things being equal? I mean, come on. Perez>Lim, right?

On 1/15/2024 at 2:50 PM, stinkininkin said:

Not a market I follow, but shouldn't Perez always be priced higher than Lim, all other things being equal? I mean, come on. Perez>Lim, right?

It’s tricky, and the easy answer in most cases would be yes… but I say but here simply because the latter part of the book where Lim took over seems to be some of the most desirable pages amongst collectors. The battle issue for instance is #4, Perez only did the opening battle page with Thanos vs Hulk / Drax and the rest went to Lim. And some very important context/content pages are in #5 and of course #6, so as much as we’d say Perez over Lim in all other cases, perhaps not for IG. 🤷‍♂️