• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Jan 11-14, 2024 Auction
3 3

267 posts in this topic

01:01:54 is the point of Felix Lu podcast where Dave Mandel starts talking about each piece he has in this HA auction ( link ) The proceeds of the auction will be used to pay down Dave’s X-Wing HA purchase. For our hobby, I’m glad he won the X-Wing it shakes out some very key pieces that are incredibly cool to see, and for the deep pocketed folks fun to win!

Byrne X-Men pg, Miller Daredevil pg, Ditko Spider-Man pg … WOW!

Edited by gumbydarnit

On 12/21/2023 at 11:43 AM, gumbydarnit said:

01:01:54 is the point of Felix Lu podcast where Dave Mandel starts talking about each piece he has in this HA auction ( link ) The proceeds of the auction will be used to pay down Dave’s X-Wing HA purchase. For our hobby, I’m glad he won the X-Wing it shakes out some very key pieces that are incredibly cool to see, and for the deep pocketed folks fun to win!

Byrne X-Men pg, Miller Daredevil pg, Ditko Spider-Man pg … WOW!

Am old enough to remember comic art shows in church basements without millionaires... ah the good ol' days

I am not the typical OA buyer as I rarely buy anything and what I do buy is usually in the $500 range. I knew the Death: the Time of Your Life post card art was coming to auction and it is my favorite piece as I used that post card as a book mark for over a decade. So I decided I would save up a bit and take a stab at it; I very foolishly thought 5K would have given me a decent shot since it was a smaller piece and only used in promotional advertisements.

I am at least glad I found out early that I was being naive... lol.

image.png.e401e426a0919adde1973e993fdadc1d.png

On 12/21/2023 at 12:09 PM, batman_fan said:

What is the X-Wing HA purchase?  Some of us are part of the Cabal

see the felix podcast thread.    Mandel spent a few million on props including an xwing from star wars, so he's letting some comic OA go

On 12/21/2023 at 11:09 AM, batman_fan said:

What is the X-Wing HA purchase?  Some of us are part of the Cabal

There was a mother of all movie props auction that Heritage held recently and Dave talked about it on his podcast over multiple episodes. When the big day finally came Dave walked out the winner of the X-Wing and a Stormtrooper costume:

IMG_9689.jpeg

opps Bronty answered it as I was typing.

Edited by gumbydarnit

On 12/21/2023 at 11:10 AM, Silver Surfer said:

Very strong. I think Byrne Cap pages are terribly undervalued (especially when I owned a few pages). :tonofbricks:

I’ve always thought so as well, is it a case where Cap isn’t edgy or dark enough to get collectors excited, kinda like Superman?

All that to say, I do love the one the started it all Mr Edgy himself - Wolverine!

On 12/21/2023 at 12:21 PM, DougC said:

I am not the typical OA buyer as I rarely buy anything and what I do buy is usually in the $500 range. I knew the Death: the Time of Your Life post card art was coming to auction and it is my favorite piece as I used that post card as a book mark for over a decade. So I decided I would save up a bit and take a stab at it; I very foolishly thought 5K would have given me a decent shot since it was a smaller piece and only used in promotional advertisements.

I am at least glad I found out early that I was being naive... lol.

image.png.e401e426a0919adde1973e993fdadc1d.png

I had it between the $4K-$6K range

On 12/21/2023 at 10:15 AM, gumbydarnit said:

I’ve always thought so as well, is it a case where Cap isn’t edgy or dark enough to get collectors excited, kinda like Superman?

All that to say, I do love the one the started it all Mr Edgy himself - Wolverine!

For me the Baron Blood pages are some of his finest work. 

On 12/21/2023 at 10:00 AM, gumbydarnit said:

There was a mother of all movie props auction that Heritage held recently and Dave talked about it on his podcast over multiple episodes. When the big day finally came Dave walked out the winner of the X-Wing and a Stormtrooper costume:

IMG_9689.jpeg

opps Bronty answered it as I was typing.

There must be hundreds of Stormtrooper suits in storage somewhere?

On 12/21/2023 at 12:19 AM, tth2 said:

Isn't any Ditko ASM page that features Spidey going to be 6-figures? 

You would think, but, that excellent ASM #36 page only hit $100K on the dot two months ago at Heritage (see pic below), suggesting that not-great Spidey pages might fetch a bit less than 6-figures.

That said, as I've stated elsewhere, with so many people flush from asset price inflation this year (and people will be more willing to cash out in January - new tax year and all), I'm expecting strong bidding in the January auction cycle. 

image.png.727f11230c52f721f99f8bd835a6abc2.png 

Edited by delekkerste

On 12/21/2023 at 9:47 PM, Silver Surfer said:

There must be hundreds of Stormtrooper suits in storage somewhere?

Well if you want to learn ALL about the remaining stormtrooper costumes Gino Sabatino speaks on it verrry throughly on Dave’s podcast. The Star Wars talk begins around the 1:06:00. It was very fascinating.

https://youtu.be/f2iPZ99NssY?si=9vpd_oA2VMUl804X

Edited by gumbydarnit

On 12/22/2023 at 10:10 AM, delekkerste said:

You would think, but, that excellent ASM #36 page only hit $100K on the dot two months ago at Heritage (see pic below), suggesting that not-great Spidey pages might fetch a bit less than 6-figures.

That said, as I've stated elsewhere, with so many people flush from asset price inflation this year (and people will be more willing to cash out in January - new tax year and all), I'm expecting strong bidding in the January auction cycle. 

image.png.727f11230c52f721f99f8bd835a6abc2.png 

I saw that too and was surprised it didn't go a bit higher.   I think Dave's page has the advantage of having a more memorable villain which is why I think 120k is probably the floor for Dave's page.