• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This place used to be so lively...what happened?
9 9

600 posts in this topic

On 11/25/2023 at 8:31 AM, CGC Mike said:

This post makes it sound like you have been here a long time.  hm

Ive read some old post(even some complained i was reviving old post lol)

Asked questions to old boardies.

When i joined in 2021 my english writting was so bad that many boardies were confused as of what i was writting lol @Comics4All,sentince?

On 11/25/2023 at 7:05 AM, Gaard said:

I remember a long time ago (probably 25 years+), I was 3rd in line at Circuit City on Black Friday. This was 3:00am. Chit-chatting with the other peeps in line ... the first guy in line was saving big bucks on some top-of-the-line TV, the second guy was getting some high-end computer. I saved $20 on a 120MB hard drive. I was so proud. :bigsmile:

Then, in later years, people started camping out starting on TG day. In actual tents! Dang cheaters!

I worked at Best Buy for 6 years during and after college. Black Friday was an event!  The campers,  the line cutters, first fights,  fireman shutting down the store for being over occupancy. 

It was honestly a lot of fun,  but I don't miss the double shifts. I would work 3am to noon have a few hours off, then work 3pm to midnight.  And the 3 hour break was worthless because the traffic was so heavy it would take me an hour to get to my apartment. I use to nap in my car. 

Those were the days! 

On 11/25/2023 at 8:05 AM, CGC Mike said:

CHARTS

The above would imply we have much more posting activity and I don't think the addition of the video/card forums account for anything measurable metric wise.

This would bring into question the type of posting; what has changed on the forums? Has activity migrated from one sub-forum to another, perhaps the type of post has changed?

If the feeling is less posting activity, but the metrics do not support that conclusion then it could point to a change in community engagement and by extention the type of posts that are being made that some may ignore giving the "feeling" of not less board activity but specific user activity.

Just talking for myself but the mountain of mainstream media content has really burnt me out. Itself combined with its impact on the hobby by bringing in more speculation and huge magnitude in price swings for comics have made everything more overwhelming and have lessened my fun. At least for now. 

Plus I've been priced out for the vintage books I collected. So I don't really have much to talk about.

On 11/25/2023 at 2:07 PM, CAHokie said:

How much of that peak is just when Roy posts though? lol

Serious question though. Do you know if we really did lose a lot of members when the board switched over? There was a concern at the time that some were just not going to come back.  

I still miss the old boards.

On 11/25/2023 at 3:18 PM, KCOComics said:

I do think we saw a population spike during the pandemic. All of the SA key book threads were having lively discussions about auction results and current value. 

It's a lot less fun to discuss prices on the way down. 

Not for me.

On 11/25/2023 at 9:40 AM, CGC Mike said:

Some of this doesn't make much sense but, I think The topics, posts, PM's and reactions are fairly accurate.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

My takeaways if I am understanding the charts correctly. 

Personal conversations down a lot.  I find that to be interesting. Topics down slightly.  

Is that self deleted topics or admin? That massive swing must be collection data change or something?

Images up due to it being easier most likely? Or is that when Kryptonite joined? lol

On 11/25/2023 at 12:59 PM, CGC Mike said:

Since the beginning of Invision in 2017

image.png

On 11/25/2023 at 1:28 PM, CGC Mike said:

I do not know.  I have been around for 19 years.  During that time, there were several board software changes.  "The big switch" in 2008? was the end of the world, just like the Invision switch February 2017.  Anyone remember that right column?  There was a switch to turn it off.  I expect everyone who did not read that post on how to shut it off, had to live with it for many years. 

People have been coming and going since the forum existed.  Read some of the really old threads.  There is a ton of people who left many years ago.  Most all didn't give a reason why.  They just stopped posting. 

Prior to 2017, there was no reaction feature.  When one was added with Invision, the number of posts declined.  That's because people didn't have to quote someone to let them know how they felt about their post.  

Thanks Mike.  :foryou:  Clarification is a wonderful thing.