• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most unpopular Golden Age superhero
2 2

41 posts in this topic

Aquaman

The media trashes him...outright lies LOL.  Like his movie is so bad that everyone walked out of the test screenings.

They said Flash was the best movie of all time...the test screening audience gave a 5 minute standing ovation.  And Blue Beetle is the heart & soul of the new DCU.  While Aquaman 2 is irrelevant.

Even CGC says the only comic-book movie in December is Wonka.  And they deleted their Comics General - Movies section.

.... according to ChatGPT: 

Pinwheel is often considered one of the most unpopular Golden Age superheroes. Created by Charles Biro, Pinwheel made his first appearance in Daredevil Comics #3 in 1941. Despite the intriguing name, Pinwheel failed to capture the readers' imagination and didn't enjoy the same level of popularity as other superheroes of the Golden Age.

Pinwheel's lackluster reception could be attributed to various factors, including uninspiring powers (he had the ability to spin like a pinwheel), a generic costume, and a relatively short-lived publication run. The character failed to resonate with readers and didn't leave a lasting impact on the superhero genre. While many Golden Age superheroes have been remembered and celebrated over the years, Pinwheel is often overlooked and forgotten in discussions about that era of comic book history.

Edited by path4play

On 12/3/2023 at 9:53 AM, path4play said:

.... according to GhatGPT: 

Pinwheel is often considered one of the most unpopular Golden Age superheroes. Created by Charles Biro, Pinwheel made his first appearance in Daredevil Comics #3 in 1941. Despite the intriguing name, Pinwheel failed to capture the readers' imagination and didn't enjoy the same level of popularity as other superheroes of the Golden Age.

Pinwheel's lackluster reception could be attributed to various factors, including uninspiring powers (he had the ability to spin like a pinwheel), a generic costume, and a relatively short-lived publication run. The character failed to resonate with readers and didn't leave a lasting impact on the superhero genre. While many Golden Age superheroes have been remembered and celebrated over the years, Pinwheel is often overlooked and forgotten in discussions about that era of comic book history.

Thanks I learn something new today 👍

I've got to think the Whizzer ranks pretty high up there on name alone.  But he had a good run.  Look to Daring Mystery Comics or some Centaur titles for some real obscure losers.   The Ferret, Vapo-man, The Thunderer, the Blue Diamond.  There are some fun ones out there.  There is actually a whole book on wacky superheroes, I can't remember the name right now.

On 12/2/2023 at 11:07 PM, ChillMan said:

Aquaman

The media trashes him...outright lies LOL.  Like his movie is so bad that everyone walked out of the test screenings.

They said Flash was the best movie of all time...the test screening audience gave a 5 minute standing ovation.  And Blue Beetle is the heart & soul of the new DCU.  While Aquaman 2 is irrelevant.

Even CGC says the only comic-book movie in December is Wonka.  And they deleted their Comics General - Movies section.

That may be a valid complaint, but until the movie is released and we all have had a chance to see it, we have no basis to discredit the negativity by those who have seen it. 

I think there's a difference between "least popular" which a lot of these obscure ones are, and "most unpopular" which implies actively not liking the character.  To be unpopular you have to at least be recognized.  For that reason, I think Aquaman has a legitimate claim to "most unpopular".

On 12/4/2023 at 7:52 AM, buttock said:

I think there's a difference between "least popular" which a lot of these obscure ones are, and "most unpopular" which implies actively not liking the character.  To be unpopular you have to at least be recognized.  For that reason, I think Aquaman has a legitimate claim to "most unpopular".

Aquaman is low on my list but his older GA and SA stories were quite creative and imaginative. The concept of being able to control all the creatures of the sea to do your bidding was pretty cool and unique.

The current Aquaman has lost that charm. Just another angry, body slamming ordinary “super hero”. Sign of the times I guess. 

On 12/4/2023 at 4:16 AM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

He might have been a lame superhero, but this is an awesome cover...

==GreenLama2-3.0-BillPonsetti.jpg

I was getting ready to post my CGC copy of this issue and make the same point! For this cover alone, I would not place the Green Lama in the lame super hero category. Definitely an amazing Mac Raboy cover! 

On 12/4/2023 at 9:17 AM, Robot Man said:

Aquaman is low on my list but his older GA and SA stories were quite creative and imaginative. The concept of being able to control all the creatures of the sea to do your bidding was pretty cool and unique.

The current Aquaman has lost that charm. Just another angry, body slamming ordinary “super hero”. Sign of the times I guess. 

All the superheros in the movies have the same powers.  Completely interchangeable.  Huge battle scenes where they're all just fist fighting and zapping force beams, yet nobody ever gets hurt.  

On 12/4/2023 at 8:57 AM, buttock said:

All the superheros in the movies have the same powers.  Completely interchangeable.  Huge battle scenes where they're all just fist fighting and zapping force beams, yet nobody ever gets hurt.  

I agree. One of the reasons, these movies just bore me. Been there done that. Makes me wonder how long these movies can continue?

I don’t read moderns but wern’t The Marvels Billy Batson’s crew?