• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,030 posts in this topic

On 12/24/2023 at 10:34 AM, MAR1979 said:

Cert numbers are in effect generated the day the submissions Electronic Form is filled out.

This is not the case.

When you complete the submission form online, you get a packing slip # that looks like CGC############.

The submission is not assigned a number until CGC receives the package, opens it, inputs the submission, and loads it onto your dashboard. At that time, each comic in the submission receives a cert # starting with the submission # and then appending 001, 002, etc.

But definitely this is not a true FIFO system. If you submit a sub for pressing and grading, you get a submission number. Right after that, your Walk-thru sub gets the next higher number. Your first sub has 2 tat's affecting the return timeline, pressing and grading. The Walk-thru could be back to you and up for sale within 2 weeks. Depending on tier, you could be waiting a year for your earlier sub to ship. Especially during the jam up of 2021-2022.

On 12/24/2023 at 8:15 AM, trademarkcomics said:

Every time I see him called "Roy", it reminds me of Quigley Down Under, Die Hard and Knight & Day*. 

*Pretty sure than covers all movies with a main character called "Roy" ...and only one of them were actually named "Roy".  Oh, wait this is totally OFF-TOPIC. Sorry, Roy! :fear:

Actually, my favorite 'Roy' character was Michael Shannon in Midnight Special, a TERRIFIC movie, and I watched this movie a few days after I went on a date with a woman named Shannon, which etched it into my memory. It was a pretty neat co-incidence. 

If you like Superhero stories, this movie is a must see. 

EDITED out spoilers. 

It's great. Watch it. 

ht_midnight_special_film_still_mm_160401_12x5_1600.thumb.jpg.b4a0e80a0b7616eb849a0f4082f0b813.jpg

Edited by VintageComics

There's another simple solution to this that no one has brought up. Every certification gets a picture online and grading notes. Whoever is making the purchase can verify for themselves if the book in the slab is the one that was graded. It's inexcusable now that that every slab doesn't have notes of some kind, but even more so going forward. (And it might even help the consistency of grading!)

On 12/24/2023 at 3:23 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

We know the first name is Brees

On 12/24/2023 at 3:26 PM, VintageComics said:

I believe this is incorrect. 

There is a screencap earlier where the buyer is communicating with briva, addressing him or her as Brees, and getting a response. 

Could be a typo though, as in Brie or Bree.

On 12/24/2023 at 3:56 PM, Lightning55 said:

There is a screencap earlier where the buyer is communicating with briva, addressing him or her as Brees, and getting a response. 

Could be a typo though, as in Brie or Bree.

The buyer of a Hulk 340 from this seller said that name Brees was on the box they received. 

On 12/24/2023 at 3:53 PM, BrashL said:

There's another simple solution to this that no one has brought up. Every certification gets a picture online and grading notes.

It's been brought up, and shot down.

Only recently have their been images available, and even then, the scammed reholder is probably showing the current book it is holding in the image, not the original one that was removed. So only false comfort there.

Grading notes for 9.8's - good luck finding such an animal.

On 12/24/2023 at 11:00 AM, drotto said:

Cert numbers can be thrown off a bit by conventions. The forms filled out online are sequential by when they are generated.  At conventions, CGC will still use hand filled out pre-printed submission forms.  Not sure how those forms numbers fall in line with the numbers generated online.  You also have to remember when people submit books for a press, the pressors will have clients generate the submission forms under their accounts, and it may be weeks or even moths before these forms hit CGC.  The numbers will still always go up, but the exact sequence will be interrupted. 

Nothing gets a sub number until it lands at CGC and they input the packing slip. 

On 12/24/2023 at 3:58 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

The buyer of a Hulk 340 from this seller said that name Brees was on the box they received. 

Yeah, this is where the name surfaced in this discussion.

I still find it problematic. Without meaning to beat a dead horse, I have a box under my tree that says it is from Santa. If it is not from an official document I do not put much stock in it. The scammer may have just been a big Drew Brees fan and decided to use the name since it would be easy for him to remember. 

On 12/24/2023 at 3:07 PM, Stefan_W said:

Yeah, this is where the name surfaced in this discussion.

I still find it problematic. Without meaning to beat a dead horse, I have a box under my tree that says it is from Santa. If it is not from an official document I do not put much stock in it. The scammer may have just been a big Drew Brees fan and decided to use the name since it would be easy for him to remember. 

Still it sounds familiar like there was suspect threads or posts a long time ago, but it could just be a case of deja vu. In short was so random there is no way to search for what I remember.

It's the closest info available but could be considered spec.

On 12/24/2023 at 3:02 PM, Lightning55 said:

It's been brought up, and shot down.

Only recently have their been images available, and even then, the scammed reholder is probably showing the current book it is holding in the image, not the original one that was removed. So only false comfort there.

Grading notes for 9.8's - good luck finding such an animal.

Has an explanation ever been given for not having notes on every book? Especially the 9.8s? I honestly don't understand, there must be some thought on the book otherwise it should be a 10. It's baffling to me as this is essentially the service and expertise that makes the product worth paying for. 

@Buzzetta: I just spoke with a good friend who is an expert on the insurance industry and who is familiar with the ways they deal with fraud. He said the most likely scenario is that eBay pays the buyer out of pocket, without making an insurance claim. They wouldn't let anyone else know what they did, and wouldn't look for more victims. They would only deal with buyers who came to them.

If the size of the fraud was large enough, they might use stop loss insurance, but the total value of this one individual's fraud is probably too low to do that. Even if it hit a million dollars, it would be easier to eat the cost.

About the only way he could see eBay doing anything else is if they wanted to make an example of the scammer. This, he said, is not impossible. If that is what they decided to do, they would throw everything into going after the scammer and CGC. The goal would be to scare everyone involved so badly that they "voluntarily" clean up their act.

If, in the unlikely event eBay did make an insurance claim, the insurance company would be in a position to go after CGC, and likely would. He said the insurance company "would absolutely go after CGC first" and ignore the scammer, because that is where they are more likely to get paid. Then, as I thought, CGC would have to go after the scammer.

In other words, my scenario only happens if eBay does something that my insurance agency friend thinks is highly unlikely: make a claim on the insurance.

This has nothing to do with the business relationship between CGC and eBay. Instead, it is based on the value of the items involved, fraud volume, and gross sales.

After saying all that, he thinks CGC is "screwed." Their reputation is their product, and their product is this slab, which has clearly been compromised. Worse, they have slabs for other high value collectibles, like coins and stamps. What happened with comics does spillover reputational damage that would impact their stock value if they are a public company.

On 12/24/2023 at 4:10 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Still it sounds familiar like there was suspect threads or posts a long time ago, but it could just be a case of deja vu. In short was so random there is no way to search for what I remember.

It's the closest info available but could be considered spec.

For sure. The pseudonym Briva has been sending off bells in my head since all of this started, but I am not young enough anymore to do an instant and accurate recall of where I know it from. It is all a part with interacting or dealing with many hundreds of comic folks along the way. 

Edited by Stefan_W

On 12/24/2023 at 4:11 PM, BrashL said:

Has an explanation ever been given for not having notes on every book? Especially the 9.8s? I honestly don't understand, there must be some thought on the book otherwise it should be a 10. It's baffling to me as this is essentially the service and expertise that makes the product worth paying for. 

This has been explained over and over throughout the years. CGC gives the book a grade. It's not a full appraisal, like you might get on your house.

The grader notes are primarily for internal use, grader to grader. They are not an all-inclusive list of defects or attributes. Usually you won't see any notes unless below 9.6. I've gotten 8.5's with no notes.