• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,030 posts in this topic

On 12/27/2023 at 11:02 AM, pdags said:

I understand, but at this point it needed to be done.  CGC had several days to address this and did nothing.  The CEO should be fired.  If I had been running CGC *everyone* would've been working on Christmas Eve and Christmas to get this address.

To be far it's not like anything special was revealed other than how easy it is to separate the slabs.   Applying heat and forcing separation would've been the first thing I would've tried to separate a slab.  Xylene type solvent would've been the third or fourth thing I would've tried to glue the slabs back together.

I doubt the scammer is using glue to seal the wells back together.   CGC has to be able to open these things to reholder them.

On 12/28/2023 at 3:05 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I doubt the scammer is using glue to seal the wells back together.   CGC has to be able to open these things to reholder them.

I always just assumed they were breaking them open and discarding them. I don't think that any more as of half an hour ago.

On 12/27/2023 at 11:02 AM, pdags said:

I understand, but at this point it needed to be done.  CGC had several days to address this and did nothing.  The CEO should be fired.  If I had been running CGC *everyone* would've been working on Christmas Eve and Christmas to get this address.

To be fair it's not like anything special was revealed other than how easy it is to separate the slabs.   Applying heat and forcing separation would've been the first thing I would've tried to separate a slab.  Xylene type solvent would've been the third or fourth thing I would've tried to glue the slabs back together.

Ok, so you are arguing that because CGC did not release a statement fast enough for your satisfaction a video of how to break into slabs needed to be released? As I said earlier, yes scammers already know this stuff but hundreds if not thousands of people watching it will be hearing about it for the first time. 

On 12/27/2023 at 11:05 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I doubt the scammer is using glue to seal the wells back together.

It's solvent (not glue) and as Immaculate Comics said, you would only need a few drops in key locations.  With a little practice you would be able to emulate the feel of a closed slab being cracked.

Plus, without knowing how CGC cracks slabs it's hard to speculate.  It's possible they break slabs from the top to be able to get the label and to be a few inches a way from the comic (to minimize possible damage).

On 12/27/2023 at 11:07 AM, Stefan_W said:

CGC did not release a statement fast enough for your satisfaction a video of how to break into slabs needed to be released?

Their whole business model was at stake and there was zero urgency on this.  

All of our CGC comic collections are at risk.  Everyone, at this point, deserves to know the state of the union so they can make the best financial and collecting decisions for themselves.  If CGC knew how trivial this is and hid it from the community, that's even more damning.  People can disagree with me as it's an opinion, but I believe it's what's best for the hobby now.

I mean, did CGC even test/try to crack the cases stealthily?  Did the hire an external company to test?  Were any of them competent?  It's trivial and I'm mad I didn't try/test it myself.

Something similar mentioned very early in the thread after not too long by someone. Inner wells need to be either implanted with some sort of scanning code or something of that nature. I think this is the only way going forward. Just my thoughts on the scenario being resolved other than the multiple refunds and re-checked books that would need to happen at this point.? Scannable codes on paper attached to inner well on back of book in inner well maybe the best bet.

Edited by AbsoluteCarnage

On 12/27/2023 at 11:25 AM, pdags said:

Their whole business model was at stake and there was zero urgency on this.  

While I'm far from an apologist for the company, I think CGC is on holiday and so understand why there wouldn't be a formal response.  I'd expect one after the first of the new year.

On 12/27/2023 at 10:40 AM, MAR1979 said:

Xylene (C8H10) is a colorless, flammable liquid with a sweet odor. Exposure to xylene can irritate the eyes, nose, skin, and throat. Xylene can also cause headaches, dizziness, confusion, loss of muscle coordination, and in high doses, death

Xylene is used routinely in histology, the microscopic preparation and examination of cells and tissues.  I had 35 years of inhaling the stuff :whatthe:  , but in very, very small quantity since work with it was always performed and only allowed under a protective fume hood.  It's indeed a near-universal dehydrating agent and clears/dissolves plastics.

It's not what I would call 'sweet' smelling either.  It's unpleasant.  And besides the acute problems that exposure to it causes that you listed, it can also cause chronic problems, including damage to the liver, kidneys, and reproductive organs.

Nasty stuff, and long classified by OSHA as a biohazard.

Very familiar base structure to any chemist, and usually referred to as xylenes, since the stuff is commonly a mix of three different isomers:

800px-IUPAC-cyclic.svg.png

Edited by namisgr

On 12/27/2023 at 11:28 AM, namisgr said:

I think CGC is on holiday and so understand why there wouldn't be a formal response.

I get it.  Maybe on Christmas Eve there wasn't quite enough evidence to show how bad things were...  But I've worked big jobs.  If you're above a certain title and making above a certain salary you work when needed; even if it's Christmas (Which I've done).

Edited by pdags

On 12/27/2023 at 11:33 AM, pdags said:

I get it.  Maybe on Christmas Eve there wasn't quite enough evidence to show how bad things were...  But I've worked big jobs.  If you're above a certain title and making above a certain salary you work when needed; even if it's Christmas (Which I've done).

And indeed, one or more people at CGC may very well be working on the matter as we converse.  But I would be surprised if a thorough response involving many people is forthcoming before the new year, as the issue is too important for the involvement of just a couple of higher ups.