• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,029 posts in this topic

On 12/27/2023 at 3:42 PM, Prince Namor said:

It's evidence that some changes need to be made at CGC. 

Somewhere, someone is not allowing that company to be LED correctly. 

QC and consistency, the two most important things to real collectors, are sorely lacking.

You may not need a 'NASA' understanding of how to fix things, but at the very least a 'McDonald's' understanding. 

This is the real reason why we are talking about this mess. CGC QC has fail collectors for some time. It came back to bite CGC. :tonofbricks:

On 12/27/2023 at 3:52 PM, mephistopheles said:

He is just having trouble deciding which idiotic expression to put in his thumbnail.

image.png.61af88d1c9386c026d47f3a943bb5df8.pngimage.png.8b76c230d62dcae261aa9902bb812f76.png

Not to interrupt the Tom-hate but he covers comic trends... not comic drama.

If people want to hear more about the latest CGC drama there are more than a dozen other small-time YT channels, hoping to be as popular as Tom some day, that they can watch repeat the same stuff as each other.  

On 12/28/2023 at 7:03 AM, BrashL said:

Totally agree, but to me this is a matter of personal integrity. If I knew I had a (large!) community that trusted my site for information on CGC and I restricted that discussion, I’d feel responsible if someone got ripped off. He says “80% will never own” one of the comics mentioned, as if 20% is a trivial amount. You’re putting loyalty to CGC above loyalty to your community. I can’t get behind that. 

And it's MY choice, and YOURS not to be a part of it.

On 12/27/2023 at 5:17 PM, Stefan_W said:

Probably too big a generalization given that only a few books are known to have been compromised. 

I think people will be cautious with Hulk 181, NM 98 newsy in 9.8, ASM 234 (edit: should read 238) in 9.8, ASM 300 in 9.8, ........

There are a lot of people who will hear about this but won't be following to see what books are affected.  I don't doubt a lot of those people will be more hesitant to purchase high price books in general.

I see conversations elsewhere where people are saying they'll avoid buying slabs for a while.  They aren't following this thread.  They don't know what books are involved.

Of course, neither do we... a lot of the focus is on the group you mentioned.  Who knows what else is out there.

On 12/27/2023 at 7:21 PM, Sigur Ros said:

So the seller of the book says "this one is fine".

Whew.. good to know.

The interesting part will be to watch where these books land at auction early in the new year. I am guessing a bit below normal but maybe not as much as people may think unless there is a very good reason to suspect tampering (e.g., a bunch of ticks showing on the CGC image for a 9.8 book). This is what I will be specifically watching in terms of impact.

On 12/27/2023 at 7:29 PM, Sigur Ros said:

There are a lot of people who will hear about this but won't be following to see what books are affected.  I don't doubt a lot of those people will be more hesitant to purchase high price books in general.

I see conversations elsewhere where people are saying they'll avoid buying slabs for a while.  They aren't following this thread.  They don't know what books are involved.

Of course, neither do we... a lot of the focus is on the group you mentioned.  Who knows what else is out there.

Yeah, for sure. What I am seeing is a big mix of people responding. Some people saying they wont buy slabs even though they weren't buying slabs prior to all of this, a few are saying that they will not buy slabs but knowing them I am sure they will if they find a good deal (human nature trumps scams), a few people who legit wont be buying, and a few people who dont care outside of the books that are directly involved. 

It takes all kinds to fill a freeway. I dont think we will know the impact for a while, and even then it may be hard to piece together given the scope of comic collecting. For example, is someone going to avoid buying a CGC 5.0 pre-code horror book because of all of this? I dunno but I doubt we will see that and with so few sales it would be almost impossible to tell the difference if they do.  

On 12/27/2023 at 7:25 PM, MatterEaterLad said:

You banned me. hm

Screen Shot 2023-12-27 at 5.22.02 PM (2).png

"And no one was banned for talking about this, but their post was removed, and the first 10 or so were given the reason why. After that, if I removed one and the person kept re-posting, I removed them." Don't know who you were, but I imagine this applied....